Chew & Swallow - Reviews

Chew & Swallow
maybebuttercup's avatar
Apr 14, 2021

Okay no one hate me but I like these kinds of stories. There are many flashbacks in here so if you're kinda slow, then I'm sorry to say but you might get confused at times. Anyways, Minjae is basically trying to survive with the help (??) of his friend until Taehwa comes and actually helps Minjae out with his life. They both get mixed up in some misunderstandings and a dangerous person. Throughout the story, you'll feel bad for Minjae, get hurt emotionally like Taehwa, and feel pity for Yohan.

9.5/10 characters
K12Devil's avatar
Dec 28, 2021

What a boatload of confusion, love triangles and abuse. Yes, the uke gets punched on his pretty face, left extremely bruised and battered. The title is very apt chew and swallow the uke gets treated like a dog, both by the guy who likes him or is sexually confused and the other guy he intially tries to please but then realises what he's going through is not "right". Yes, he also has a shit father...sorry I read this like months ago and recently got into writing reviews. The entire manhwa is b/w. 80-82 pages. It's not entirely an amazing story but if you're into some toxicity, confusion and angst you have found the right fit.

🍪, Here have a cookie. Thank you for reading.

NoodleSnoodle's avatar
Mar 1, 2023

I've read a lot of similar stories but this one just hit different, in all honesty it's a very common love triangle where there is one "villain" but it's very complex the way it's done. The flashbacks which start from the beginning are just a beautiful way to tell the tragic story. Most characters are developed well except Yohan who I think was an after thought, like it was made just to make sure he isn't just a rich brat who has an obsession and they gave him that family absence. I swear I haven't cried this much in a long long time because of a maga but yeah it's honestly worth reading, unlike others out there which are more popular and worse, this one is captivating.

YaoiGodAbove20's avatar
Dec 21, 2020

It's your average love triangle story with the love rival being a hackneyed prick just coz he couldn't "possess" the uke. The only better part is the segmented narrative where we feel the characters by looking from their perspectives, at the expense of cheesy monologue tinged with melodrama tho.

All 3 of them (the "trianglers")and the decisions they make sometimes will kickstart your rage meter and indirectly makes u wanna slap some shit sense into them. Yohan, Yohan's scum circle and even Taehwa raped Minjae on the grounds that he's a boy toy; they're all painted as utter jerk faces but at least Taehwa owns up and regrets what he fucking did coz he's the love interest (we cant have the seme looking all douchey cant we).... and a longer reflective introspection only hit rich brat Yohan after he wrecked Minjae..... typical epiphanic shit pulled by a rich prick after he reached a turning point where the uke is defiled, gets a wake up call, and starts denying the abusive prick.

That being said It's a passable read just generic I guess? Had I read this earlier than other BL/yaoi manhwas this might genuinely seem like a good story for me but the tropes are too cliched for me to stay ignorant of this fact. As the title suggests, it's content for chewing & swallowing (then digesting) like we do to usual webtoons loooool (except for good ones where we do a lot more than chewing before swallowing it whole)

5.8/10 overall
manhwaslayer's avatar
Nov 7, 2023

Can't believe people are saying it's your average love triangle. There's absolutely nothing average about the story, and the so called "love triangle" wasn't even one of the main focuses in this manhwa.

I couldn't get more of this masterpiece, all the characters were so fleshed out and their raw emotions so well described. But what really amazed me about this story is that all actions have consequences, they leave permanent scars and the relationship just can't be the same after.

The story felt extremely real and it made me and a lot of other readers feel very conflicted about the characters, because nothing in the story was black & white, they each had their own complex emotions and you couldn't help but feel both contempt and sympathy for the characters, it's also evident in the ongoing theme of "love and hate".

All in all, 10/10 for me, I love when authors don't treat their characters like they're dumb, baseless and purely "good or evil". This story hit me deep in the feels, couldn't stop crying closer to the end of it. I also read other works from Gawee and now I can't wait for more!