Chainsaw Man - Reviews

Chainsaw Man
badavocardo's avatar
Sep 8, 2020

Spoiler:

The story has a good pace making it easier to binge. The author also doesn't shy away from killing off characters which is a huge plus in my opinion because one of the huge problems that the shounen genre has shown is that they don't really like to take the risk of killing a character people may really love. Eg. Fairy Tail, the author acts like they'll kill a character then BAM they magically are alive (fairy tail spoiler: one of the characters being Gajeel), or they'll easily kill off the enemy team but not really the ally team making this manga even better. The art style is also so beautiful for one of the fight scenes it wasn't only the fighting that I loved about it but it was also the art style of that fight scene making me give it a 9/10.

Ps, this was me trying so hard not to spoil it and this is my first review so I hope my review doesn't sound bad :)

8.5/10 characters
nerdchan's avatar
Feb 19, 2021

The art style and character designs were the main features that drew me towards reading this manga. I find Fujimoto’s way of drawing to be very visually appealing, and it only took seeing one of the colored double-pages to cause me to research and ultimately begin reading Chainsaw Man without knowing much else about it. It may come across that I am easy to please; however, unique art styles are one of my major pulls. The intriguing synopsis was the cherry on top.

Without giving anything away, the plot was clearly well thought out with lots of twists and unexpected-yet-justified deaths that kept the story interesting. Unfortunately, the storylines were often very vague/fast-paced with how they were presented to the reader. They were hard to follow, and therefore, hard to remember. Especially during the second half of the manga, lots of happenings simply happened and were never fully (or at the very least, straight-out) explained, leaving things for the reader to interpret on their own – something that is not my strong suit. This might not be the case for everyone, but I found myself left in the dust many times during the course of reading. In fact, I will likely be rereading this manga for the sake of clarification...alongside the fact that it was simply enjoyable.

Despite unclarity, seeing the interactions between characters and their reactions to the situation were simple enough to keep me reading even if I wasn't confused. The extensive cast of characters are well-written with distinctive and recognizable personalities and appearances. It is very entertaining to see what will play out next between them all, which is a key component of any story. That, alongside the simpler aspects of the plot and well-written humor, kept me reading until the end.

Overall, Chainsaw Man is definitely worth giving a read for great characters at the very least. To me, Denji is the most relatable main character I’ve ever seen in any anime or manga. I find myself sharing his sense of humor and desires when it comes to being a teenager. Though, if you tire of sexual innuendos and crude humor quickly, this manga might not be the best choice for you. It is most frequent throughout the first few portions of the story, and is, in fact, the driving point of the plot for quite a while, but it dies down some once the story starts to get battle heavier and more intense.

Clearly, if I was able and willing to reach the end of this manga despite not fully comprehending the plot, then there must be some other draw that kept me reading. In short, Chainsaw Man is a manga that I recommend to anyone who likes things fast-paced and serious with a touch of humor throughout. I will be gladly waiting for the second arc once it is released.

8.5/10 story
9.5/10 art
Kenkaneki129's avatar
May 5, 2021

Two things : overrated

Bad art

Story is good but this is way too overrated and art I don't understand a thing that's going on in the pictures. (some time)

RiamuRamu's avatar
Dec 12, 2020

I'll be honest. This isn't a bad manga at all, in fact I think it's quite good. But people are seriously overhyping it. The main character, Denji is one of the best mcs I've seen a while in anime and manga. But the story isn't really all that. Yeah it's entertaining but it's really overrated.

OneEyeMonkey's avatar
Apr 13, 2021

Insane brutal thats what you think and what you get from Chainsaw Man. Do not try to use your brain while reading if you do its 7/10. I had no expectaions from this and i thought it is just stupid idea of making such an insane world. But story turned out to be great lot of unexpected things show up  and it was just thrilling to read i wanned to read more and more. Pasing was great and i think chapter 22 or something blowed me away it was just great to read but sadly endig was way too rushed from my point of view it needed at least 20-30 more chapters to develop satisfing ending. Dont get me wrong its still 100% worth reading if you dont mind gore.

Art was done soooooooooooooo goooooooooooood in most of parts but one thing that annoyed me was censoreship of peoples body. What i mean is  you can see torn arms, legs and so on also a lot of blood but when there is picture of male or female naked body u cant see brest or bottom part :/ its not like i want to see them in this manga but at least if autor decidet to cover them eather by water smoke hands or something insted it gives us somthing like they were born without them wich is very noticeble since all other arts are very detailed.

Mc and people close to him have great evolution trough story. Its simple but with great paising of story its just fit well. What i missed was  that enemys got better introduction and power explaind so it would be clearer what they can and cant do. But even so good and bad characters are well writen they fit in story and into situation well.

What i missed most was little more detailed backround of the world to understand whats going or and to secualte about what happens next and why is someone strong as he is and thats was my issue with chainsaw man character why is he just this trong i mean yea there is som explanation but on the other side why isnt someone who uses bombs insted stronger Bombs > Chainsaws.

But overall its really good reading it feels kinda unique i finnished it in one day  so if you wonder to give it a shot deffinitely do.