Call To Adventure! Defeating Dungeons With A Skill Board - Reviews

Call To Adventure! Defeating Dungeons With A Skill Board
Azrialt's avatar
Mar 3, 2022

Positives:

Not your stupid chliche mc

Side Characters are fine

Art is very good

Story is decent

Negatives:

The World and System building is hard to understand and not enough explained

Neutral:

There isnt really a goal for the Protagonist, don't know if some feel that thats a good or bad point

If you can ignore the one negative point then the manga is something that you can read when you're bored aslong as you don't expect a masterpiece

d3Xt3rnz's avatar
Jan 9, 2022

[Reviewed at chapter 25]

Honestly, this was a very annoying manga to read. I do not like the MC - he's stupid and a bit mental (although that might be deliberate as other characters think the same). He constantly obsess over his presence, instead of taking advantage of his stealth to fight monsters. The supporting characters do not do much nor have much of a story line so you don't really care much about them, and honestly, some of them are just as annoying as the MC (like the shop keeper)

The biggest issue I have is with the way the leveling works. OP kills thousands of monsters and still remains at G rank, he only moves up to F rank after killing over 10,000 monsters, which is ridiculous - in other manga you only need to do a few herb gathering quests to rank up from G to F. And although he's depicted as "leveling up" quite frequently, most of his skill points still remain at like 1 or 2, which doesn't add up - what exactly is going on with his level ups? It's never explained properly. The most ridiculous thing is that his main skill is supposed to be a growth skill that makes him gain much more exp compared to others, but this isn't reflected in his stats. 25 chapters in, he's still just at rank F.

The other major issue I have is the "villains pick on girl" arc. [Spoilers ahead]

So these guys set up a trap for MC and proceed to kill him but it backfires due to a monster flood. Suddenly all is forgiven and MC is trying to help them, ends up failing and then blames himself for not being able to save them.. like wtf, why would he have any sort of empathy for SCUM who were about to r**e the girl and murder both of them? And its not like the MC has some good history with them, every encounter with the bad guys has shown that they were scum, lowest of the low, who don't deserve any mercy. They were already given a chance to reform when they were first caught by the police, but instead they were set free. None of this makes any sense.

Overall, the MC isn't likeable at all, he makes this poorly-drawn stupid face all the time and he's mental. All that being said, it wasn't enough for me to drop the manga as I'm a bit invested in the growth of the MC and want to see if he gets any better.

4.5/10 overall
UnSubconscious's avatar
Jun 7, 2022

While I tried to give this story a shot because of the good artwork, and enjoyable characters, the story fell too short and there was too little substance when it came to the video gamey aspects.

The lack of fleshing out this part of the story caused the character building to become stale, with none of how the main character's growth impacts his combat abilities being explained, but instead just showing us from a few panels of combat that "he got stronger." Due to the fact that these types of stories are built entirely on the premise of "a game but in real life," if that fails to be interesting then everything else falls short. The story also progresses far too quickly, and it feels rushed with the character progression (though take that with a grain of salt because I haven't gotten too far in), whilst simultaneously feeling really slow because of the constant cuts back to the MC's grinding sessions, followed by the 20th trip to the store in three chapters. Ultimately, this made it a frustrating read.

The art is quite the redeeming factor though, and I was quite impressed by the facial expressions, choreography, and refined artwork as well as the defined style. While it did have me hold out for longer to see some more of the artwork, it couldn't keep my interest entirely.

Finally, while the characters weren't perfect, they were still entertaining at times and the main character wasn't too bland. However, it felt like they had no goal or drive, and were aimlessly getting stronger without much reason. That - paired with the fact that the growth was badly explained - supported the factor of the story going nowhere. I did like the Konosuba-esque moments between the MC, Karen, and the Shopkeeper though, which were about the only parts I actually enjoyed.

Overall, I feel like it'll be hard for this one to hold the attention of many people due to it not catering to people who want a story because of the lack of development or the people who want a power-fantasy because of the lack of explanation as to how the main character is getting stronger, but give it a shot for the good art at least.

PZcolo's avatar
Aug 9, 2022

A manga take on the overused setting of dungeons appearing in earth so common in manhwa. It's as expected more "Japanese", has more of the classic naivety one expects, slower pace and more char development. Fortunately (imo) so far the naivety is kept in check, it has few "power of friendship/love" moments and the MC while still of the "killing is bad" mentality, he's at least not of the type that will get himself killed to save a**holes, still, he might try (unfortunately).
The story is nothing great, a guy that's very weak discovers a dungeon and gets a "status screen" in his home in the county-side, thanks to the screen he can slowly progress in strength. That's it, there's no overarching story and there doesn't seem to be any end goal either so far.
As for the char, he's a normal guy except for him having a "weak presence" yeah, that dumb trope, people don't notice him even when he's talking in front of them, I was never a fan of the trope and unless used in a "harder to notice but still normal" way, it only works in gag or comedic mangas imo. As expected it doesn't go with me here either but at least the author gives it some context since he has an ability that make's him stealthier as the story progresses. He also uses it as the motivation for the MC since he yearns to be noticed by others. The secondary chars are mainly a girl with low self esteem and a funny clerk so far, and some other powerful awakened from time to time, most of the fit some kind of stereotype or another. They are decent at least and the clerk is great and funny at times. There is also only one potential love interest so far, I hope it doesn't go the harem group but knowing manga it probably will.
The pace is ok, a tad slow, but I'm fine with it, art is great, just look at the centipedes, I hope there aren't cockroaches! Dialogues are ok, there aren't many text blocks common in manga and Tritania does a great job with the translation.
Overall, it's an enjoyable manga, nothing great, a good change from the hoards of manhwas with the same setting, if you like the setting that is.

5.5/10 story
ClairIsHere4Manga's avatar
Dec 6, 2020

The main character has no presence. Which is incredibly over-used how much it's presented.

The girl i don't hate, but i don't like her. She's a Mary Sue type. Pushing her weakness into arguments.

i don't like all the characters, but i enjoy the story.