Cage of Eden - Reviews

Alt title: Eden no Ori

Cage of Eden
Thrawn's avatar
Feb 13, 2013

Story: You know, I can't believe it ended. It left so much open, so many threads untied and loose. So many things missing, so many questions left unanswered and yet, it answered some of the most important of them all, and to it's benefit in a good pace. And why, is this guy talking about the ending right at the start? Because you already know deep down that a dumbass manga like this, chockful of fanservice, ridiculous events, hot-blooded hammy speeches and action, can never, ever, EVER hope to achieve a satisfying conclusion. It's the nature of things.

But damn a nice plot it doth threads. Kids on a plane, with a hot steward and most of said kids buxom and bouncy, with ten, twenty, shitload of other bodies and bam! Plane crashes. It's all, disaster and shit until HOLY SHITSAURUS IT'S FUCKING EATING PEOPLE and then it just immediately sheds any sense of reason and decency for high-octane thrills, heroics and fanservice. I mean the premise is pretty neat with the disaster and island survival thing (To be fair, it's probably a cliche premise but love my survival manga) but as it progresses, it gets more interesting and has more depth than you would initially suspect.

Seriously, plot! I don't mean plots plot, all boobs and no sensible plot of any kind, but plot plot. It's pretty good considering all the other mentionables and everything I couldn't mention for fear of spoilers but it goes against most reason for it to be anything but an excuse for boobs in the jungle and wild animals with a taste for human flesh.

You wouldn't be surprised but with the animals, comes a train of... well, think of it as a periodical ass slapping. It comes one after the other and this goes hand to ass with all the events that befall Akira and his group. Sure it leads to chapters upon chapters of action, but it gets so ridiculous how anti-Akira the island is that it's even lampshaded a few times. Which was hilarious, maybe unintentionally so.

The unanswered questions in contrast to the fun factor, the principal of screwing the MC over whenever possible, leans towards the latter and while it may provide answers slowly, it still provides a fair share of them. Things may become cliche or "the usual" as things progress and predictions may come true, it still doesn't mean it isn't fun. And logic, incredibly enough, is still prevalent.

Sort of, but not even logic can trump pointless bathing scenes.

Art: I do believe it improved over time. I usually don't have much to say for art in stuff like this apart from the usual pervy things so I'll keep it simple: It looks good, they are stacked, others are really stacked, clothes are impeccably clean, no lasting scars, animals look good...

Know what? Art's good. Gets pretty awesome in places but it's definitely on the attractive side overall.

Characters: Well... boobs. I have to get this out of the way, for this part at least. Mammaries from nicely sized to damn big for a teenager to eye-poppers. But these buxom dames aren't just for show, we get background info! I know this sounds crazy, but we get to learn a bit about them, more than their names and in one certain chapter, a perv's thoughts on some of them. It sure is classy.

Don't have much to say about them but the guys are handled a bit better. Akira is your usual, tough-as-nails badass MC of a shounen manga. He has it all, from the hot-blooded speeches to his ability to take blow upon blow and this guy can lead! He can enthrall! He can envigorate- encourage, and etc. Still a pretty cool guy but the real seller is Zaji, who is just plain awesome. He's a cooler guy, smart sometimes and muscle in others and fun. Backstory too. And a lot of these characters (The teens on the class trip) have their past intertwined with each other, childhood and friendships forged from days long passed.

Chemistry, history, and there is a boat load of characters. I'm going to gloss over them, skip a few from a few dozen chapters in and get down to two others: Badass and Hades. Badass I can't remember the name of, despite his prominence in plot growing as the tale goes on. I really should remember but this guy, everything he does is badass. If I told you of all the badass things he's done, it would be all that he's done and you know what? Backstory as well. For a badass no less! Usually badass is enough but they flesh him out and make him more human, which is some major kudos.

Hades, he's a fan favorite (Or so I believe), he's awesome as fuck. He presents an opposite to Akira, opposite of ideals and arguably the black to his white. Not much else to say about him but he is a favorite of mine and overall, the manga did a way better job on characters than it should have, once again basing it on the genres it partakes in and all the action and fanservice it has.

Overall: Not enough time to talk about a few of the other stuff; from enemies among man, more on the actual plot and to thread that thin line of actually being helpful without spoiling too much, more on the faults of falling into a formula, chapter cliffhangers and at times long dialogue but as predictable as it may be, it throws a mean curveball now and then that I didn't see coming. It's not a series for the ages but the characters have chemistry, the action is fast and plentiful, pointless fanservice aplenty and the best part of all, it's fun.

magoo123's avatar
Dec 1, 2011

my first review!!!!

i choose this manga as my first review since i was in charge of translating a few chapters (most noticablly chapter 105)

anyway, that's enough advertising :P, let's get on with the review

i thought the story at the beginning is a bit crap... since it seems like a rip off of LOST, and repeat itself quite alot.

but then from chapter 100 onwards the story took a deep dive and introduced more elements of mystery, especially, the truth behind the island they stranded on. normally i would give it a 6/10, but im being a bit biased here coz i really like survival mangas.

i thought the art were top class, and that's the end for art review :P

moving on to characters, the character traits, i thought are pretty good even though they are a bit cliche- a couragous kid as a leader, a super clever kid, a semi-tsundere girl who's gonna get on with the main character, a girl who's a master at martial arts, a useless gril with big boobs... i shalln't go on.

and the character relationships i thought was spot on. now i would give examples, but then i wont be able to stop, and dont wanna spoiler the story too much for someone that's not up to date.

so overall, a 8/10 and a great series to work on

Proto57's avatar
Aug 1, 2020

What a great travel it was ! This manga was very refreshing for me.

STORY : It was a very good story filled with good mysteries. The quality was totally constant (even if the end felt a little bit rushed but that's not very problematic it doesnt remove the greatness of the story or of the ending). The plot was really interesting, enought to give you the envy to read it without getting bored by it. It was like a travel, as a reader, you were with the characters during the read, when good times, you were happy, when bad times, you were hoping the best for them. I felt really immersed into this world. The setting is very interesting, you will find some creatures that are extincted and characters will try to cope with that, they will do their best. This manga uses our curiosity, as a kid, I have always been curious with the extincted species, some were giant like the giganthopithecus, i was saying to myself "it should be incredible to be in front of one of those !" and this manga use this and it is very well done. In this story, you will also find a mature story, it's not a beautiful fairy tale, characters are in danger and can possibly die, they can be injuried and on this island, there is not a big hospital to cure everyone. It's not overused obviously, it's not a story where 95% of main characters will die and it's a good thing to keep the ending happy.

CHARACTERS : Obviously, they were a bunch of characters in this story but i'm gonna only focus on the main characters that have the most incidence for the story. They were great and mostly not too cliche. It was really great to see how they could be useful to make the story progress. They were working together with a good bond and their reactions were logical and mature. I had a feeling of accomplishment by seeing this team working together, I was happy. Even the side characters had an incidence, I liked them for the most part, I didnt want them to die if something were to happen. Of course I didnt make an analysis case by case because there was just too much characters for that. The MC is not your classical shounen MC even if he has some similarities. He's the leader of the group, many lives are in the palm of his hands and he's not a KGB member. But he will be forced to grow up if he wants to protect everyone, he will be forced to take big risks because in that kind of situation, as a leader, you prefer to die than losing 5 great friends. Not only the island is his ennemy, some humans will be too, some humans who are very strong physically, who konw how to survive and more. The MC starts with a big penalty on him. In the end if he wants his friends to live, he has to win so he will count on his bravour, on his leading skills and on the intelligence of his team. He won't protect his team by doing 90% of the work (unlike an another person in this manga who is very smart and strong). He will count on his teammates to help him by maximizing what everyone can do the best. Teamwork is probably the most important word in this story.

6.5/10 art
8.5/10 characters
lagomorph's avatar
Mar 19, 2012

Based on reading the first volume, Cage of Eden has a Hackneyed plot premise that reads like a 3rd rate "Lost" ripoff. I was bored and the characters were mostly uninspiring. The dinosaur chase scene was so predictable as to be completely unengaging. Will not be continuing this series.

MonkeyDLuffy2's avatar
Jun 9, 2017

One of the best non Mainstream manga i have ever read!!!!!

9.8/10 overall