Brutal: Satsujin Keisatsukan no Kokuhaku - Reviews

Alt title: Brutal: Confessions of a Homicide Investigator

Brutal: Satsujin Keisatsukan no Kokuhaku
getou's avatar
Jul 21, 2021

Even though Brutal is a psychological thriller it isn't dark (tone wise, the subject of the chapters are very heavy) and has quite a lot of comedic relief from the protagonist Homicide Investigator, killer Hiroki Dan, himself. The manga does a very good job of making the readers root for the protagonist, because compared to the horrid shit (the people who are about about to be murdered have done), makes being a serial killer seem like the lesser crime. I remember the manga has a cover of Hiroki making 'shushing' pose while smiling and it creeped me tf out like 'sure girl I'm not going to snitch on you please don't look at me like that 😰'

Trigger Warning for Chapters 2-4: Gang Rape, it was quite, well, brutal. Both the original crime and the death of the rapist.

This is a fun manga but definitely not for the faint of heart. If you like psychological thriller but can't handle gore and or themes of sexism I wouldn't recommend this manga to you.

nishantt's avatar
Sep 18, 2020

it's nice how he does what he does it's like tit for tat kind of thing the he gives exactly what the culprit deserves including his little own way doing good deeds.. overall till now it's good..

ferengi4's avatar
Feb 3, 2022

Start with the postives, the art is decent and works for the setting. It doesn't try too hard to be edgy or "horror" looking like many other try to do and fail. The characters per chapter are passable, since it's a pretty episodic right now (And I assume it will stay that way until some arc or when it gets axed) they work for the short stories they're apart of.

Now the negatives, The story itself is that there isn't one. The main lead doesn't have any character to himself, he's just "Cop that is Serial killer" and nothing else. We rarely ever see his office life or day to day life outside of bits that are more toward comedic effects or for story dumps when we need to know why Person of the day needs to be killed. Another problem is all of his kills are based around a single movie, and the story has already repeated the same death methods a couple times now just in different ways.

Wish we had more character building, and had the ML's motivations for doing all of this (Since he kills people that were already going to be going to prison, so clearly it's not to punish those who got away with a crime or anything). But maybe I am just expecting too much for this kind of story. If you like episodic mangas with no story and just like seeing people get murdered, hope you enjoy reading it but it's not for me. Cheers

MangaXexperts's avatar
Apr 12, 2022

This manga is more of a toned down version of red cage. It starts off pretty good but later on the cases become too much dim. The villains are just bad guys for the sake of being bad guys. They have little to none personality to them and their motives behind the brutalities become more and more vague. The personality of the main character is a little bit better. The art is just average good for this type of plot. This manga is also very overrated in my opinion.

7.5/10 art
xrhow's avatar
May 7, 2022

It isn't that great, i don't understand this thing of killing criminals if they already repented their crimes, it is pretty much useless and bad