Bone Collection - Reviews

Bone Collection
Ebonyslayer's avatar
Jul 8, 2020

My thoughts up to the 10th chapter:

Characters- As a shounen series I feel like the series is having a hard time figuring out what it wants to do. It introduces a powerful character named Paira, who is there to be fanservice and to help power up the main protagonist. Speaking of which, Kazami feels just like the series description says he is, a mediocre character who is nothing without a youkai to help him power up.

Story- As for the story, there is the plot-line of Kazami turning Paira from Youkai to human, where the reward would be the protagonist being able to marry Paira. You know what this makes me think of? Rumiko's Urusei Yatsura, except that series has more lovable characters. There are just so many attempts to be funny, and the author just fails at it.

When it tries to be a battle shounen, its just not feeling like one that makes sense. Kazami's motivations as an exorcist are all over the place, be it for becoming the best exorcist, to protect others, or because of his promise to Paira. Unless the author has properly established the protagonist's motivations, readers won't be able to like or connect with Kazami.

Art- The art doesn't really feel that great. It feels like the author wasn't given a lot of time to give detail to the characters and the result is what is left at the end. It feels average, which is no surprise given this is the author's first work.

Overall- The series is not shaping up to be impressive, even after revealing that there is a Youkai island prison. And now the protagonists feel less special, now that its revealed that there are other characters who can use the Youkai spell. After ten weeks of being in shounen Jump, the series is just about near the bottom. https://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/

I would hope that the author has at least picked up some experience given this is their first work. https://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=44911 I don't feel excited reading this, which is why I'm not going to bother continuing pass the 10 chapter point.

Series I would recommend would be Shaman King and Twin Star Exorcist.

Lukeh34's avatar
Sep 27, 2020

This manga really missed the mark. Especially in Shonen Jump right now, there is an abundance of manga where "this dude gets his power from a demon/entity." Compared to other manga of this genre, this one just never made me feel for the characters. I legitimately would fall asleep reading Bone Collection. Not something you really want to have happen when reading a battle manga.

The art was generally unimpressive. I hated the main character. The end of the story was unsatisfying, likely because the manga was canceled before the mangaka was ready. The initial concept of using a demon's bones as weapons was very interesting, but as I continued ready, I was never quite sure what direction the story was going in. Sometimes it really felt like I was reading a (bad) gag manga. Chapters 11-14 really did hit a groove that I was liking. The last chapter kinda ruined everything for me, though. Wouldn't recommend reading this unless you want something to fall asleep to.