Blood Soul - Reviews

Blood Soul
HonkLoser's avatar
Jul 8, 2023

The story is short as well as the chapters. And there's an insane amount of development missing from this. Decent for a quick read, not so decent for a fleshed out story.

Ryukami's avatar
Mar 12, 2018

In a semi-futuristic world humans have through science greated augmented humans that can stand against vampires, werewolves etc.

But our protagonists are not humans but vampires and the like, and they are fighting against the Church of Van Helsing.

Thoughts: Story is pretty generic and rushed. Art is pretty decent. Characters are generic and lack developement.

nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Aug 30, 2020

Rather than simply calling this uncaptivating and mediocre, let me tell the story of my reading experience. I had chosen this manga to read during my breaks at work. For context, my reading pace is normally somewhere around ten to fifteen chapters spread over the three breaks I have each workday. But this six-chapter comic took me two days to get through, because I kept setting it aside out of a lack of interest and finding other stuff to do. It got to the point where I found myself preferring to reread news articles I had already read than pick up where I'd left off with this. Now, I did end up finishing it, so this is a review of it in its entirety. The best thing that can be said for it is that the art is pretty good and some people might enjoy the fight scenes. Personally, I found them to feel empty. The fights seemed to consist of a lot of sudden transformations or sudden reinforcements to turn the tides, leading to abrupt and often anti-climactic ends. There's a lot of splooshy blood attacks. The world-building isn't much more than regurgitating tropes; there's an oppressive church with mechanized soldiers trying to purify the world of demons. Our hero, Red, is a demon--a vampire to be exact--who has had one of feir fangs taken out by Azure. Each chapter, we see fem fighting various soldiers of the Van Hellsing Church in the vacant streets and buildings, ultimately leading to a confrontation against Azure. Red's vampiric powers are much weaker because fe's missing that one fang. Fe's an unlikeable, petulant character whose rash charges into battle just feel idiotic. There's a human girl introduced in the very beginning, Haruka, and fe's obviously intended to be a love interest-type character, but feir and Red have zero chemistry and I don't find myself caring about Haruka (and definitely not about Red). Some of the other characters, like Ash and Claudia, just feel like the author was trying desperately hard to have them give off a "cool" vibe or something.