Beast Master

Add review
Chinatsumi's avatar
Jan 10, 2011

This manga is just AMAZING!!! I started to love it from the first chapter. Story is unique and it's not so easy to quess what is going to happen next.

Ant about the art and one of the main characters - Leo. It's great that same character can be so different (angry, scary, sad or happy). His faceal expreasions are done more than very well. I just can't find other word than - briliant ;)

By the way, in that part where Leo comes back to Yuiko and where he tells her that he loves her love and romance can be felt. Gread job.

So I just hope, that author will keep up and make more interesting works.

With respect,

Natsumi

NicoNicoDesu's avatar
Jul 18, 2012

The epitome of sexy friendships, "Beast Master" is a short manga which has girls everywhere swooning.

Story: Kubozuka Yuiko loves animals, but, unfortunately, suffers from Sakaki ("Azumanga Daioh") syndrome, so animals hate her. The persistent Yuiko won't give up, and she ends up meeting Aoi Leo. Leo is covered in blood and has feral-looking eyes... but Yuiko isn't afraid of him! Well, turns out Leo is a little like a beast, and Yuiko tames him (SPOILER ALERT XD). So, if the title didn't make it obvious, this is going to be a kind of S/M-type shoujo romance. Well, it's actually more of a friendship. With zero sadism and even less masochism.

This story is cute and all, but, if you couldn't already tell, I can't stand heroines who sit around waiting for their men to save them. Yuiko gets into a bunch of instances where Leo needs to jump in and save her. Yet, somehow, this never happened to her BEFORE she met Leo. Go figure. And, since we know Leo is gonna beat the crap out of the guy before Yuiko hugs him and tames him, all anticipation is lost. Mangaka Motomi Kyousuke has got this formula down pat.

Art: This is probably the high point of the manga. Sexy male characters and pretty female characters exist in a world of generic-but-nice-looking backgrounds. The character designs are purely meh: Yuiko looks like, well, a pretty female character (she acts like one, too). Leo looks like an untamed animal--he has messy black hair and wears illegal amounts of guyliner, but he looks sexy as hell. (Just saying. Now STFU.) The only other character worth a mention is Toki. There. I mentioned him.

Characters: Nothing special here! Yuiko kind of got on my nerves, along with good ol' Toki. Leo is cool and all, but he could have been so much more. Another chapter or two and he could have gone from "kind-hearted wildcat" to a deep, heartbroken lover or become badass. There's just no freaking development. And no one, NO ONE can call Yuiko's taming of Leo "development."

Overall: A nice shoujo manga for fans of "Vampire Knight." It has plenty of romance, a miniscule amount of violence, and its fair share of eye candy.

4.5/10 overall
starweaver's avatar
Apr 13, 2010

I thought this was a really good manga!  The characters were so adorable and it was funny and romantic.  I highly reccomend this to anyone who loves adorable characters, funny moments, and romance.

ffcfran's avatar
Oct 15, 2014

This is the first manga I ever read. No seriously. I read a sample online, I bought and read it like 3 more times over the next couple of weeks then I branched out and became manga obsessed. Now i have a bookshelf. It made that big of an impression. Seriously its sweet and romantic and the characters demand hugs, or at least I felt like hugging them all as I read. It could be that I am a great big sucker but even so its amazing. Romance was never so sweet and innocent.

Kraecha's avatar
Oct 29, 2009

I was never a big fan of shoujo manga, but "Beast Master" changed that. This story, although being incredibly sweet and funny is differet from typical shoujo stories.

First of all, the main heroin, Yuiko, isn't a weak girl who fell in love on first sight with the most popular guy. In fact, it's quite the opposite - this girl is very intelligent and kind, she loves animals (but animals seem to hate her). One day (while trying to catch a cat) she meets Leo - a weird, scary looking guy, who doesn't know anything about living in modern Japan, as he spent most of his life in a jungle, fighting with wild animals...

The plot is really amazing - the characters are natural and easy to like and their story is really interesting. Of course, they also have a few sweet moments that make you squeal with joy, but in this manga you'll also see some bloody (although not too much) fight and yakuza.

The artwork is simply magnificent - Motomi Kyousuke once again showed us his talent and drew beautiful characters and their surroundings. It makes the manga really easy to read and very eye-catching. And, another big plus, as the author is a man, you won't see many "shoujo-flowers" on the pages of "Beast Master". Everything is perfectly balanced.

Overall, I think this is one of best mangas, or at least a definite must for someone, who want to read something nice, that will make you dream of your own romance just like this one of Yuiko and Leo.