Bakuman. - Reviews

Bakuman.
bakumanisausome's avatar
Aug 8, 2010

this manga is very good it is about 2 japanese boys(takagi, and mashiro) who try to become seirialized as mangakas. and if the ratinges was from 1-10 i would give it a 9999999999999999999999999999....ect.     it is very dramatic at times and it has comedy, romance, drama,ect         it is just a greate mange and i cant wait for the anime   i was reading it for hours and hours untill i had to stop and wait for the next chapter to come out each week   i read like 20-50 capters a day and i just say you should realy read it im not giving to much info because you should read it for your self and me shocked by every little thing beacause it s a great seiries and i give it a thumbs up

mangaislife's avatar
Dec 18, 2010

This review is so painful to have to write. I wanted to like Bakuman, I really did. As a manga, it's very high quality. The art is good, the characters (mostly) are good, the premise is good, the story is interesting and - and - and it's the biggest disappointment ever.

Let me start off by addressing something; I know standards are different in Japan. I don't care. In Death Note, I thought the sexist portrayal of Misa was used for characterization, to make a point, kind of like an Aldous Huxley character; no, Tsugumi Ohba's just sexist. That's it. Great writer, very sexist.

Takeshi Obata is one of the best artists ever. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with his art, but he decided that a more obnoxious style would be funnier, I guess. Didn't work for Rave Master, won't work for Bakuman.

Other huge problems with this series; it's rushed, too convenient, the shameless plugs were kind of clever at first but are now just annoying and stupid as all hell, the romance is on fanfic level, the protagonist is an unlikable moron, his love interest is shallower than a puddle, the humor is trying way too hard but failing and the dialog is unnaturally written.

Yet - it's good. Bakuman is actually good. No, it's nothing like the masterpiece of manga that was Death Note, but it is interesting and when it's good, it's fantastic. The protagonist's mangaka partner is just great. You can really get behind him and most of the characters are likable. There are so many stupid moments but when they're making manga, it's some of the most entertaining stuff ever.

And again, the problem I have with the art is a personal one - it has nothing to do with Takeshi Obata's considerable talent.

But. But. But.

This is the best you could do after Death Note?

flyingmongoose's avatar
Jul 8, 2014

Assuming you did not read the synopsis for this series, here’s the deal: High school student has drawing skills and his classmate wants to make manga with him. Sure, it doesn’t sound too thrilling in comparison to the creators’ previous series “Death Note”, but it doesn’t mean it can’t have relatable scenarios. After reading the series (I got the boxset and recommend you do the same), I came to realize how competitive everything really is, how hard it is to reach one's goal. In addition, I got to learn about the process it takes to make a series and the stresses that come along with it. Because I am lazy, unfunny, and lacking talent, the rest of this post will be bare bones. It truly is a boys’ manga, none of that lame lovey dovey stuff, no tears to be shed over dumb stuff, and no personal issues. It’s all about professional stuff, with characters that I hated at first, but later changed my opinion of them as the series went on, which was a really impressive writing strategy on the author’s part. The stories that the characters in-universe would create were always a joy to read, whenever you could read them, and make me wish some of them were actual series. If you liked ‘Death Note’ and have trust in the creators’ story making abilities like I did, then be sure to pick this series up. It’s well worth it.

nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Mar 19, 2019

I have reread this manga multiple times and each time I've enjoyed it. I would rate 70% of this story as a 10/10, though there are parts of it that make the story drag on. Since the majority of the story is amazing, it's easier for me to list the story arcs which I might rate a 6 or 7/10. Those are: Nakai drawing in the snow (ch. 37-38); Takagi's romantic drama (ch. 61-66); Tanto and +Natural serialization meeting (ch. 67-72); Iwase rivalry (ch. 94-99); Takagi and Shiratori and the one-shot competition (ch. 100-113); Nakai drama and the class reunion (ch. 128-130); Nizuma's first-place run (ch. 135-140); Nanamine's return (ch. 141-149); and the hot springs trip (ch. 162). If I could boil down the problems with these sections to one idea: characters act in unrealistic and at times uncharacteristic ways, leading to drama that likely could have been avoided if they had acted as one would expect normal people to act.

At its core, this is an inspirational manga, showing two friends dedicating their lives to achieving their dreams, taking a gamble on the chance of making it big creating manga. Of course, this type of story is captivating precisely because it's not something I would ever wish to do myself (Why choose a risky career? That's what hobbies are for.), so I enjoy living vicariously through the characters and watching them succeed. Of course, the authors realized this and made it a feel-good story, a story where you can tell from the very first chapter that their dreams are going to come true.

There are a decent amount of characters that show up throughout this manga, and a large percent of them are captivating and unique. Many times--like with Eiji, Hiramaru, or Miura or any number of other characters--whenever they are first introduced they are drawn slightly differently from the look they eventually settle into. It's only noticeable when rereading it, because as the artist continues to draw the characters they seem to become more comfortable with the core of the character. The art is exceptional. The artist draws normal people (some based on actual people), but with a sense of flair and pop, exaggerating the fluidity of body parts and movement to turn it into something which could only be done in manga, as Eiji Nizuma would say.

One of my favorite scenes involves Takagi talking about how manga artists who are able to draw everyday activities in a captivating manner are geniuses. And while Takagi's sitting on a couch saying this, Mashiro's in the background pushing a broom around. I think this is hilarious, but it only works because it's asking the reader to break the fourth wall and recognize that the authors are calling themselves geniuses. This manga wants its readers to analyze it and think about how it was made. By discussing the behind-the-scenes processes and tactics of manga creation, it expects to be read with a more critical eye. And for the most part (obviously barring the story arcs I've mentioned above), this manga stands up to scrutiny as well put together.

Cosplayer's avatar
Feb 7, 2013

I have to say, I loved Bakuman. Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata make a great team. I thought so with Death Note, and I think so on Bakuman. The story of Bakuman is so amazing, with so many ups and downs and ups and downs and so on. I found myself not wanting to stop reading because I wanted to see what happened with Ashirogi Muto's stories and how Mashiro and Takagi made it through every obstacle. It also was great to see that Ohba and Obata could develop gripping stories inside of one large story. Along the same lines, the art was really well done. It was great to see so many different styles done by the pair inside of the story, from chibi-like to fairly realistic to animals. The characters were really well done and very believeable to me. I really like Mashiro, Takagi, Azuki, Kaya, Fukuda, Aoki, and so on and so forth. There were only a few characters that I feel didn't live up to expectations, and the way that Eiji just kind of disappeared after that last sight. Overall, the manga was really well done, and I hope the team can come up with something even better, just like Mashiro and Takagi!