Attack on Titan - Reviews

Alt title: Shingeki no Kyojin

Attack on Titan
Sararar's avatar
Apr 10, 2021

I really loved this story and I think it is the best story I have ever read, seriously. I had a lot of fun making theories and debating with other people and of course, I have cried a lot too. Moreover, there were a lot of epic and shocking moments and a lot of plot twits, everything realated to the paths (or at least most of the things) was just mind blowing for me. I love how Isayama tried to give us some life lessons and I love how Isayama showed us at least a bit of the story of each character.

SPOILER

SPOILER: About chapter 139, I think I liked it. Of course, it wasn't the best end but I liked it. Honestly, I expected the chapter to be more intense, shocking and detailed. For example, I was expecting something deeper for Ymir idk, maybe something related to the paths and Eren, something really deeper. But that wasn't the case, I didn't like at all how the conclusion for Ymir was made, just with a little explanation about she loving the king... wth :/. However, I really liked the conversation between Eren and Armin, the moment where Armin, Jean, Connie, etc realized what Eren told them in the past and the last scene with a bird putting the scarf to Mikasa just how Eren did in the beginning of the story (that was absolutely beautiful).

Also, I still have some questions that aren't solved but well, it can't be helped I guess. The end left me with a strange sensation of... Idk it felt strange to me, it didn't feel like the story was endind because, like I said I still have questions.

Still, I think I like the end.

PD: Also, I liked so much all the good and complicated theories about time travells and time loops. I even made one.

THANK YOU SO MUCH HAJIME ISAYAMA FOR THIS AMAZING STORY THANK YOU THANK YOU. THANK YOU FOR GIVE US ARMIN TOO <3.

YouPCBro2000's avatar
Aug 19, 2019

This was tough for me. I technically gave 4.5 for the story prior to the basement reveal, because the surreal world of man-eating Titans bringing humanity to near extinction was original to me, and boy are those Titans nightmare fuel.

So imagine my disappointment when the basement reveal came and everything that made this series great was ruined. It's barely about Titans anymore, just a giant soapbox lecture about "empathy for the enemy". After that, the story shifted towards characters I have no empathy for (Warriors and Marleyans) while portraying the ones I do like (Walldians) in a negative light, eventually ruining what was once one of my all time favorites (Mikasa).

Long story short, Isayama should have stuck to the Titan scenario, it was far more interesting, far more appealing, and far more original than humans vs. humans will ever be.

LizzyCat's avatar
Oct 15, 2019

Attack on Titian Manga Review
By: Hajime Isayama
118 chapters (ongoing)

Overall Rating: ★★

I’m not going to lie, the only reason I read this is because my best friend loves the anima. Also, it should be noted that I am not a fan of gore, with that being said I will still do my best to be as objective as possible.

Plot: ★★
Set in a world where humanity lives in cities surrounded by enormous walls that protect the humans from gigantic man-eating humanoids referred to as titans.

Okay so the plot summery seems pretty straight, forward right? Well the story itself is complicated. There doesn’t seem to be a rhythm to how things are portrayed and how the story flows for instance, in the first few chapters the main character watches his mom get eaten by a Titian, joins a military unit, gets eaten by a Titian and then turns into a Titian himself. Where other parts of the story you can see one battle scene take up several chapters. The story for me was just really hard to follow, it didn’t help that the world building and lore took forever to get anywhere, which brings me to my next subject…

History/Lore/World Building
God awful, yeah I know harsh, but I can’t help it. The last chapter I read was around 100 and the author was just now getting to explaining the history of the Titans and the lore of the world. That’s 100 chapters of pondering why the world is the way it is.

Artwork: ★★★
It’s not the worst I’ve seen nor is it the best. The landscapes and characters felt a little bland, it seems as though the mangata spent most of the time on the Titians, well the main Titian’s anyway. The few main Titian’s were impressive in that they truly gave a menacing feel.

Overall opinion: Waste of time
I honestly don’t get why Attack on Titan is such a big deal, the Manga just didn’t do it for me.

Twnfn's avatar
Apr 14, 2021

This manga had the potential to be the greatest shounen of all time. Instead it retconned all character development of the mc post timeskip (betweem season 3 and 4) and therefore retroactively ruined the whole shows narrative. The ending is completely nonsensical and had terrible pacing. I'm not going to spoil everything but everything Eren stood for was non existent in the ending. You might be able to enjoy the first chapters (in other words everything that covers season 1-3) but everything afterwards is a waste of time and I advise everyone not to bother with it. Instead read a manga you know has a good ending.

My takeaway from this fiasco is to never support a Franchise 100% before seeing how it turns out. Could have spent my time reading/watching something else..

Also, what the hell was the point of the warmonger titan??

HangeZo3's avatar
Oct 17, 2020

The story is great and always makes you want to read on, I recommend reading it in colour as it makes it easier to follow (for me anyway). The characters can either be super complex (E.g. Eren) or only exist for a single purpose and don't really have a personality (Mikasa, no offence intended if you are a Mikasa fan). One of it's best points is that none of them are really typical shounen "Heros", as they all to terrible things to survive. Plus, this will probably end like danganronpa, in which all of your favourite characters die :). I am actually stalling reading this from what has happened lately *cough* chapter 132 *cough*