Ascend - Reviews

Alt titles: Chen Sheng, Shen Sheng

Ascend
Florentiniuks's avatar
Nov 13, 2020

By the middle, or even earlier I got tired of it. It's a nice, sweet read, but that's pretty much all there is to it, so I think it could've been way shorter. Especially when the possible side couple (which was the only reason I kept on reading) didn't even get any closure. The art is stunnng, but I think the end with no closure for the side story messed everything up.

Koneko9's avatar
Sep 23, 2020

The art-style is so aesthetically pleasing. I love how the story was simple with no melodrama. I am glad I came across it and I hope many more people read it.

YaoiGodAbove20's avatar
Jan 17, 2021

Shen and the teacher's romantic development happened way too fast, what like, after that bar incident & hotel stay the feelings just magically became mutual for the both of them... too fast-paced for my taste since they've over 100 chapters to develop it.

They also wrapped things up last minute in the final chapter with showing Shen's past admiration for the teacher's works and with the teacher's brother's hospitalisation event. The middle part of the story came off too easy, which led to the end being stuffed with the relative few hints they've shown throughout the chapters to reach a conclusion (ie: the aforementioned Shen's old fanboying self & hospitalised dude).

I felt like they planned on incorporating that hospitalised guy into the story but since they've no idea which direction they should go with him they just chose to kill him off in the end, y'know to make it seem like a symbolic closure for the teacher's ties to the past.

5.8/10 overall