An Uncomfortable Truth - Reviews

An Uncomfortable Truth
Kittyna's avatar
Jan 5, 2019

!MBY SPOILERS!
i rlly liked this story, and i rlly like Yoseob, ye i said it. I understand him, i had similiar childhood like him. Ending rlly got me, i was crying. Yoseob was just a victim, so i felt really bad for him. (for his brother too, he was trying his best until the end.) You rlly should try to read this story, it's amazing.

4RootPunch's avatar
Sep 16, 2019

OK HERE WE GO LIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD

I really, really enjoyed this story. It was so well written and despite how violent and dark it got, the characters could also be very relatable and funny at times. The art is very consistent and I like this simple but pleasing art style. I would definitely give it a read if you would like to see some fun times between some highschoolers who might also be dealing with bad mental problems and one that might even be a psycho murderer... I'll just say that you might expect the ending, but it will still hurt your heart anyway.

c3ci's avatar
May 9, 2020

Don't waste your time. The synopsis is super misleading. It's not even really about the two mentioned. I read the whole thing thinking it was really just a slice of life comic about a girl name Yura and a guy named Taeoh who deal with their own psychological problems and every 12 chapters or so it's like oh yea btw there's a creepy kid causing some problems. The conversations were long and repetitive, the tone was waaaaay off (I did not once feel tense because of all the attempts at humour, and not even dark humour. Just plain old slice of life humour. Super weird). The entire thing isn't even present day, and we don't get a look at it again after a tiny bit is shown in the first chapter. Not until 70 chapters or so does it even touch on present day.

The whole time I felt like, "why do I care about this girl? Why do I care about this boy? Are they even the main characters? What's going on?" It makes a ton of sense when you read the authors note at the end. It had started out as a short BL but her editor made her change it to a thriller even though she had no interest in it. She makes this sound like a good thing but the comic suffered because of it in my opinion.

Saying all of that, the art style was really nice. Even though it was cute I think it did suit the thriller theme just fine (if it had ever really been one that is). If the author writes a shorter comic with an intentionally lighter theme I think she would do really well and I would totally give it a try. But don't bother with this one. Or, if you do read it, read the author's note first or just consider that this story isn't really about Yeosob at all. He's just the background plot. It might be more enjoyable if you know that going in.

frog66742's avatar
Jun 6, 2020

An Uncomfortable Truth is more of a goofy slice of life masked as a thriller than anything else. All of the characters were bland and predictable, the plot might as well be a poorly thought out fanfiction, and the cartoony (and often chibi) artstyle ruins the seriousness that this manga should have. The story focuses on a very basic character who is not even the protagonist (Yura), and her friend (who is also not the protagonist), Taeoh. We are given pretty in-depth explanations of these character's mental states and how they are dealing with their problems which would be interesting if they werent incredibly one dimentional. I was tempted to flat out skip chapters of this manga becuase it was just the author telling us how their characters felt. The two main characters (Yoseob and Jaeha) are actually really decent in theory and I think the author could have really written a good story with them with only a few tweaks. The problem with them is that they aren't focused on enough. Even though this manga claims to be about them, it isn't at all. Yoseob (the most interesting character) is barely even shown most of the time, and when he is, it's just to give the story a much needed nibble of suspense or tension. The art, even though it was in no way fitting to the genre, was consistent and professional, and that brings the score up a little. Also i'm a big crybaby so even though it wasn't very good i cried at the end :'((

1.5/10 characters
4.5/10 overall
MystifiedBOOKWORM72's avatar
Oct 17, 2020

I can honestly say that this story has been the most gory and thrilling manga I've ever read. I can understand the psychotic nature (because with parents like those, who wouldn't?). I love that he was willing to do anything for his hyung. I was disappointed that it didn't have BL even though it showed in the tags it wouldn't, but a girl can dream. So, honestly if you like gore, psychotic people, suspense and all around traumatizing stuff. This is for you.

7.5/10 story