Am I Actually the Strongest? - Reviews

Alt title: Jitsu wa Ore, Saikyou deshita?

Am I Actually the Strongest?
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Jan 5, 2021

Hnn~~nnnn, it's sorta funny and cute in its presentation, and a lot of the problems I will be complaining about are likely intended to be comedic in their absurdity (and might not bother others for that reason).

First of all, what the fuck is a sound-emitting barrier? And why does Haruto act as though that's an obvious thing? And since when can barriers be used to make video recordings? Or be used to heal people? Or for teleportation? Or as alarms? Or to measure magical levels? Or whatever else fe fucking uses "barrier" magic for! It's stupid to create a premise (that fe uses barrier magic) only to then immediately disregard that premise. Also, it's stupid that fe hasn't realized that feir magic power is far greater than "2."

I do think the round table of "knights" was pretty funny, and that aspect might have made Charlotte's otherwise annoying personality worth it. And the way that fe just sorta goes along with it, especially in regards to them thinking that fe's the reincarnation of the demon king, is pretty cute as well (and reminds me a bit of Overlord). I can see some comedic potential in the monster village, and especially in the blushing golem. The premise of fem striving to be the best hikikomori that fe can be (and failing at that endeavor) is an adequate set-up, though one I've seen used quite a bit as a way to show off over-powered characters. Like, I can appreciate how fe looks up to Liza for being a shut-in for 300 years, but I think the inclusion of the clone hasn't been helpful toward feir plans of slovenly living and has just created annoying confusions.

The art is not very impressive. Several of the girls look quite similar. And some of the angles can look pretty awkward and stiff.

[Reviewed at chapter 26]

Manthika's avatar
Nov 1, 2020

It’s really ridiculous.  No, I mean, it’s really ridiculous.  Try: newborn baby less than a day old being abandoned for having low magic power because their ‘magic reader’ couldn’t sense his level because it was so high- and him promptly figuring out how to float and attack and just generally be OP while swaddled in a blanket and not old enough to actually be able to see, and looking around when he shouldn’t be able to support his own neck.  He is a day old and defeating monsters, let that sink in.  And with that, understand that there’s 0 realism/logic, but that’s fine, because: isekai.

Except basically 0.2 seconds later he’s hungry and the first thing he says is ‘I need boobies’ and then there’s a naked oppai lady like??? it’s just generally garbage?  Would not recommend in any way, shape or form.

caticornio's avatar
Apr 27, 2021

Okay, so don't expect there to be any logic in this. However, what do you expect? Most of these overpowered charactes don't follow logic.

Personally, I find this manga hilarious and I love it so I'm gonna be super generous and give it a 10/10.

SululuXD's avatar
May 24, 2021

This manga starts with our MC getting reincarnated into a royal family in a fantasy world as a baby after receiving supa OP powers from a ditzy Goddess. Pretty standard as far as isekais go. Then he his promptly abandoned by his family due to a magic reader’s capability not going high enough to properly read our MC’s supa OP high magic power. Then he beats up a Fenrir and gives it name, while declaring himself the demon lord. Again, pretty standard stuff. And then the Fenrir transforms into a well-endowed woman to try and breastfeed the protagonist. Ah yes, classic shounen. Anyway, get adopted by another human family, fast-forward 9 years, and our story begins (kind of). Despite living with this family for 9 years, he hasn’t developed a relationship with his only sibling. It’s so bad, that they are essentially strangers. Why do they always act like this is their first week living together? Why was the author compelled to write it like this instead of creating a good relationship? That would certainly make more sense than this unnecessary drama. You know what, I don’t care, whatever, it doesn’t really matter. So, I should probably mention that our MC’s OP god power is barrier magic. Now, normally that would just mean defensive shields and whatnot, but our protagonist is so supa OP that he’s free use of his barrier magic can do literally anything. It can attack, it can heal, it can be visible, it can be invisible, it can even be used as a CCTV system. Okay, I’m not going to ask what his limits are, I’m just going to assume that he is akin to a god. After reading through all of the English translation to date (30 chapters), it’s just your basic OP protagonist shounen isekai with some fanservice here and there and some subpar artwork, 2D character writing, and convenient plot contrivances. It doesn’t do anything new, nor is it any more or less interesting than any other run-of-the-mill shounen isekai.

apoc9's avatar
Sep 22, 2022

Another day another isekai. The story follows shut-in, who is reincarnated as prince to royal family. It begins like a fairy-tale. His parents to avoid shame of pathetic max level 2 son both decide to abandon him in a forest. The traditional way of infanticide. The joke is his level is so high it overflows the range on measuring device, which shows his level as 02/02 instead of 1002/1002. A noble, who lost child, takes him as his own child instead.

The main protagonist is insanely OP and finds creative ways to use his barrier magic. The story wouldn’t be much enjoyable without side characters and if the series didn’t introduce some whacky ideas and twists. The MC is reluctant hero, who likes to shut himself in his room and avoid duty, fame, etc. He goes even so far to create his own double to do things he doesn’t feel like doing. The double lives its life interchanging with the original occasionally. This is supposed to be funny. I think this was the weakest element of the story. It isn’t that funny and it makes the MC unsympathetic.

It has several common isekai tropes, except adventures and guild. There is no such thing in the series. It uses the trope of trying not to stand out, which instead backfires. It has overarching story, which I’m interested how it’s going to end.

Let’s introduce younger sister, which thanks to MC learns high otaku culture and uses her talent, influence and boundless love to make big brother to run around in Lelouche’s Zero costume as masked hero. This is bringing me to the part I enjoyed the most. It’s the Kage no Jitsuryokusha (The Eminence in Shadows) elements in the series. It’s still quite different, but utilizes similar style of humour. There is another rather unusual twist for this kind of series, which I can’t talk without spoilers [1]. There are other supporting characters as well, some fit usual fantasy world tropes [2]. Special mention for the lovely golem [3].

Visually the art is slightly below average. If your primary concern is the art, then this manga isn’t the best pick. However, I had no issues enjoying other aspects.

Overall, this is hard to explicitly recommend. It felt at points I had to get through less interesting part to get to the good stuff. It’s somewhat enjoyable obligatory seasonal isekai series story. It’s being adapted as anime at the time I’m writing this review.

Japanese difficulty 4/10 (see my profile for details about various difficulty scores)

This series does have furigana. The text volume is bit under average level. The only uncomfortable aspect is this cursive-like font used occasionally, which takes bit more effort to read. Otherwise, it’s on the average shounen range of vocabulary.

This review is written after reading 7 volumes (all existing at the time).

Spoilers

[1] The daemon lord is reincarnated as girl and becomes friend with MC in the school.

[2] Wolf and dragon, which both live with the MC as girls i.e. loyal maids.

[3] Stereotypical hulkish golem with personality of maiden in love with MC.