Altair: A Record of Battles - Reviews

Alt title: Shoukoku no Altair

Altair: A Record of Battles
AmbiguousDitto's avatar
Jun 28, 2015

I am enjoying this manga. The characters are interesting, even if there is little development for any other than the MC. The plot continues to interest me and the art is enjoyable.

The situation with characters is somewhat resolved by this manga's lack of reliance on main character (other than MC) and side-character development , as most of the story's interest is focused on the MC's progression in character and ability.

On the topic of plot, I cannot fault this manga. It is smooth and well-though out. The characters affect the plot well, and it rarely becomes stagnant. The overarching continental war that looms serves as a good plot-driving mechanism and I found myself invested in the story enough to continue to pique my interest again and again. While the characters are often used to push the plot forward and little more, (and again, I have no problem with this), I can appreciate the fascinating history and lore that this manga has in troves.

As a military manga, I felt the action scenes were drawn moderately well, but the tactics employed were the real draw towards any battles. As a politics manga, I would have enjoyed more politics, as the MC is a high-ranking general of a stratocracy, but what is there is generally good, and dialogue between characters is generally not dull. The art does serve well to draw bishounen characters with emotion. I find it a positive that due the small frames of some characters, the methods in which they fight are based in agility, and the art does a good job of representing this.

In summary:

+ Good depth and smooth plot

+ Art is to a high standard

+ MC's development is well written

- Other character development is somewhat compromised by MC development