Akuyaku Reijou Level 99: Watashi wa Urabosu Desu ga Maou de wa Arimasen - Reviews

Alt title: Villainess Level 99: I May be the Hidden Boss but I'm Not the Demon Lord

Akuyaku Reijou Level 99: Watashi wa Urabosu Desu ga Maou de wa Arimasen
moochz's avatar
Feb 9, 2021

The mc is OP as hell, but I like how it's done because she's pretty socially awkward and her massive power is used for comedic affect so she isn't really a Mary Sue.

They didn't go with the trope of the crown prince falling in love with her instead of the heroine either, and the ML actually respects the MC as a person before he begins to fall for her. their interactions are pretty cute and funny.

SululuXD's avatar
May 22, 2021

This manga has the plain-old setup of a college-aged Japanese girl getting reincarnated into the body of a 5-year-old villainess from an otome game. With plenty of years to prepare before the game was set to begin, our protagonist is… reasonable? A protagonist who acts logically and sets forth a plan to avoid the triggers that would give her a bad end? Are we sure this is an isekai? She is also super O.P. in a fantasy world with magic and levels, so don’t expect any real tension. In fact, she becomes too strong to continue the narrative of a normal life and becomes an outcast who is constantly misunderstood in comedic ways. The manga has quite a lot of charm, and the characters actually have some depth. With that being said, the first chapter is very rough, as it’s a lot of (unnecessary) exposition, but once you get past that, it becomes a pleasure to read. It truly is a solid, comedic isekai.

sunbee's avatar
Jul 25, 2021

Read if:

• You're into strong FLs that OP as fuck
  • Villainesses who are mistaken to be demon lords
  • FLs that are kuuderes

Demon lords and villainesses are common tropes in this genre but this manga puts a different spin on that dynamic. The FL has powers that rival the demon lord, if not surpasses it entirely, which makes making friends and lovers difficult for her. Her challenge here isn't getting out of her engagement but rather proving that she's not evil and being accepted by her peers.

I like the story because she's a one-track mind type of FL, unswayed by power or money. All she wants to do is level up and become more powerful since those are the segments in the game that she did enjoy. She literally has no concept of the trends and people that a FL of her status should know about; refreshing and different.

The male lead isn't that attractive or powerful, compared to others in this genre. But rather, he complements her in terms of personality and skill. Although she's overpowered, she has no concept of handling her strength well and buffing her weaknesses while he can balance different elements altogether within his capacity.

I'm not 100 percent in love with this story but it's interesting so far and I do want to see how the author and the plot will progress with these concepts.

DreamyNoNo's avatar
Mar 4, 2021

I am reading manga version and light novel version simultaneously. Suprisingly, I loved the both versions! 8/10 I would recommend to take a time to read both versions. I found light novel version here. Great story and artwork!

nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Sep 29, 2021

The entire appeal of this manga comes from Eumiella's dead-eyed, apathetic look combined with how casually overpowered fe is. Fe has that same type of expression that is used for these types of cutely emotionless characters--the pinpoint mouth and flat-roofed eyes. The eyes are often drawn super large. And the best moments come from when fe experiences some level of excitement or emotion, and feir expression subtly changes. Like, when fe gets excited about teaching people the most efficient methods to level up (methods which end up frightening those who hear them) or when fe gets worried or frustrated. We also see fem quietly nodding to femself and thinking things through, but not really grasping common sense, which can be cute-funny. There's also a slight amount of political maneuvering or strategizing type stuff, though I'm not sure if I would say that Eumiella excels in this area. Fe's mainly just unambitious, which leads to fem avoiding anything that could be troublesome later (even if that means declining offers from royalty). In fact, if anything, Eumiella kinda sucks at conversational skills and socializing.

Some side characters are introduced briefly, but then barely play a role. I'm thinking of like Eleonora or Adolf or Rita. And several of the recurring characters--like the three capture targets--don't have very interesting roles, and mainly just serve to be annoying. At least Patrick isn't a flop and seems to actually be engaging with Eumiella in a straight-forward way, leading to hopes of a cute little romance. Obviously, the weight of the entertainment value of this story lands on Eumiellla alone, and for the most part, fe bears that weight pretty well. The artwork is good, though the backgrounds can be simplistic and the facial expressions can grow stale over time.

[Reviewed at chapter 11]