A Sign of Affection - Reviews

Alt title: Yubisaki to Renren

A Sign of Affection
nathandouglasdavis's avatar
Jul 23, 2021

An adorable romance between a deaf girl who's as cute as an ermine and a suave guy who enjoys traveling and learning new languages. The guy--named Itsuomi--is always calm, cool, and collected about everything and handles potential drama and awkwardness with maturity and grace. The girl--named Yuki--often feels like fe's just getting swept along by Itsuomi's pace and goes with the flow because fe's in love with fem. There are also several other characters. Some friends. Some people who have unreciprocated crushes on the main characters. Many of these other characters also have their own romances or proto-romances going on. I appreciate how this series shows a range of how people express their interest in others: shyness, abrasiveness, straightforwardness. I also like seeing a glimpse of what deaf culture is like and the ways that deaf people adapt to things. It's neat how they actually attempt to show some of the hand movements of the sign language and also have some of the dialogue bubbles be grayed out to indicate that's what Yuki is lip-reading. Yuki's blushing may be a bit heavy-handed, but it's still cute so I'll forgive it. The art is good, the characters look nice, and it's just generally pleasant to look at. This is definitely a feel-good, dawww-inspiring slice of life manga, with little to no real complications to the relationships. Worth reading if you're into shoujo romance stuff and if you just want something light that'll make you smile.

[Reviewed at chapter 20]

nutellasupremacy's avatar
Apr 21, 2021

Your average shoujo manga besides the fact that it's actually cute and not cringe & she's deaf.

letsthrow's avatar
Jan 22, 2021

The characters, the plot, the story, everything fits so well together and this specific manga series is not one you see on a regular day basis. Similar to The Silent Voice, the story follows a deaf girl and a male lead falling in love and the story development is EVERYTHING. Although a bunch of chapters are not out yet, I recommend this series if you are looking for something gentle and cute, yet different.

lemonyuzu's avatar
Mar 2, 2021

Honestly a very good wholesome manga for those who are tired of reading many mainstream romance mangas. This manga has very uniqe characters and having the story being based around the mc and ml interactions is very cute and refreashing. The art is very well drawn, I love the art style personally and it helps bring out the wholesome feeling very well.

9.5/10 characters
TheNuisance1's avatar
Feb 25, 2021

For people who liked the “Silent Movie” anime adaptation like myself, this manga is absolutely worth checking out!

Basically it’s about a university girl who is deaf and meets a very handsome European guy (I think he’s German). The art is friggin gorgeous plus really colourful like props to Suu Morishita for designing the characters and representing the deaf community. Although there is the usual annoying trope of the love triangle going on but the main characters are just adorable. I feel like I’m repeating myself again but if you need some shoujo cuteness, this ones for you chaps!

By the way, thanks to Netgalley and Kodansha Comics for giving me the first volume of this manga! ❤️

7.8/10 overall