A Royal Princess with Black Hair - Reviews

Alt title: Geomeunmeori Hwangnyeonim

A Royal Princess with Black Hair
AnnCathrin's avatar
Sep 20, 2020

I definitely recommend reading this. The MCs are hilarious, and their couple moments are incredibly cute. The first handful of chapters especially had me in stitches. (Actually, now that I think about it, the whole cast is fun to read.)

The female lead is... basically the opposite of what you think about when you imagine a royal princess. BUT, she is more than capable of faking those traits - she's already been shown being bashful or weak when it suits her.

The story definitely has hints of darker undercurrents - the jealousy of other nobles, for example - but is overall very fluffy. Mainly because there is nothing out two MCs can't deal with together. Unlike in "normal" royalty stories, all those undercurrents come from outside the palace, not from within the royal family, which is a nice change.

If you're looking for something light-hearted, with a strong, independent female lead, a bickering couple or something with occasional fight scenes, swordplay, and magic, this is for you.
Also, royalty! (which is always a plus) with all its advantages but none of the disadvantages. Even the standard jealous-girl-tries-to-bully/sabotage-the-female-lead trope is handled well, imo. Did I mention that all scenes including both MCs are comedic gold?

10/10 would recommend. I'm definitely rereading this soon, this is a gem.

machiabeeli's avatar
Jul 23, 2021

READ IF:

• You like strong female leads
  • Slow burn relationships where you actually see them falling for each other and not just "wow she gave me tea, what a kind and considerate individual i love her"
  • Fantasy settings with an overarching plot for the kingdom, their relationships, and each other
  • Comedy and a lil exaggeration to get you to laugh
  • Follows the pattern of an otome isekai manga (but this isn't otome isekai!)

It's so refreshing to have characters in this "let's get divorced but don't fall in love with me" trope act like three-dimensional people with personalities and motivations outside of their role. The female lead is strong and independent and the male lead isn't unnecessarily infatuated with her from the get-go. Both of them have their own strengths and weaknesses which aren't complete plot cheats. Personally, I think it's lazy writing when you give characters too much power because everything becomes too convenient. I mean, what's the point of worrying about them?

Also, I fuckin love slow burn fiction where both characters are unaware of their feelings for each other. This manga knows how to build rapport between two characters without making one or the other creepy (I'm looking at you, otome isekai genre) or too weak (Abandoned Empress-esque). Romance is important but so is establishing their identity apart from each other, which is often overlooked in isekai / romance manga.

Would read from scratch again very MWAH

8.5/10 characters
Icecreamsnowy's avatar
Nov 23, 2021

• Royalty? YES!
  • Romance? Yes
  • Isekai- ish?(but not) YES!
  • Strong FL? YES!
  • Villainess hated by me?! YES
  • Rom-Com? YES
  • Red haired charecters?(idk why i added this)YES!
  • Heart-fluttering Special momemnts?! YES
  • Highly recommended?! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just love it!! Its too good im currently at chapter 64(p.s. I think)😁❤

! BAD NEWS IF YOU READ THIS AND UR FOLLOWING ENG TRANSLATIONS THEN STOP RIGHT THERE CAUSE THE ENG TRANSLATIONS STOPPED AND NOW I'M JUST HEARTBROKEN..PLS LETS HOPE THE TRANSLATIONS RETURN ITS TOO GOOD!!!

9.8/10 art
MinRei's avatar
May 2, 2020

The princess is cool, she's like a big sister figure. The prince is not a jerk, he's sensible. Together their interactions are gold.

There are also some other interesting characters.

There's this side story inside it that is quite magical.

distivilla's avatar
Oct 23, 2021

I love this story so much the fl is so cool and so is the ml i bursted out laughing at some of these chapters lmao 100% recommend

😭😭