12 O'Clock Bell Rings - Reviews

Alt title: 12-ji no Kane ga Naru

12 O'Clock Bell Rings
akumachan's avatar
Aug 8, 2012

the story went against the normal happy ever after and gave it a twist, I was surprised, I liked the story but the ending was a complete horror and kinda disgusting

EYOK's avatar
Sep 28, 2020

I'm in a fun journey where I search for every adaptation of Cinderella (I found some weird weird movies). And this adaptation is absolutely gorgeous. I like the "halloween" vibe (and Halloween is not even my thing), and I loved the ending. It was scary and shocking, I can't deny it. But I absolutely love it. The basic story is Perrault's, but the new twist is great and it's foreshadowing is well done. I loved the art and its weird choices. About Cinderella, she sees a carriage like that and she doesn't get the red flag right there? She's stupid or she truly is a terrible person. She didn't even bat an eye about the poor "unicorns", so I guess is the latter. Still, if you love her fairytale couterpart, you'll keep cheering on her. I wish there were more of this kind of twisty fairytale adaptations.

angelsreviews's avatar
Jul 30, 2013

This is a really twisted manga. It’s definitely not like the Cinderella story that we grew up with. In fact, I consider it closer to a Grim Fairy Tale more-so then a children’s tale with an ending that can make your skin crawl. It did for me and that is really rare. I do have to give you a slight warning if you really do not like spiders, this may not be the story for you.  Other then that, Cinderella was really annoying when she started sounding like a valley girl.

The artwork is that of a fairytale, very befitting, and yet the proportions are all wrong. Some characters are way to big compared to others to make them look at all realistic. Things are rather stiff and it’s got almost a supernatural ‘Halloween’ feel. It was a little like Tim Burton’s movies. There are a lot of angles in the art and characters are rather stretched out.

I liked the story and I do say you should see this because it’s interesting. I liked the take on it.

Thrawn's avatar
Nov 18, 2012

Cinderella, it has all the makings of it except most of them are skewered and twisted, but not enough to make you forget where it's roots are. Aside from the completely roundabout ending that changes what you just read, it also alters the... "Fairy Godmother", who is more like the classical witch, complete with that awesome witch hat but minus the wart on the nose, green skin (Black and white) and all-around ugliness. But witchiness aside, or with it, the writing is pretty entertaining: Snarky, sarcastic, hardly befets a Disney princess or a truly sympathetic heroine but it goes perfectly with the overall feel of it. And the art, it was my cup of tea; not too detailed but with enough style to catch the eye without being abstract. Good stuff.

Overall, quite a nice little one-shot that's a delightful twist on the ol' Cinderella tale with some great art, dialogue and an ending that actually suits the overall vibe of it all and will determine if you leave content or dissatisfied.

ukizuo's avatar
Mar 12, 2021

I loved this one shot so much. It gave me huge Tim Burton vibes with the artists style and was the perfect mix of magical and horror.  It took a typical fairy tale and turned it around to something dark that I absolutely loved. If you like the Grimm fairy tales, Tim Burton, or horror give his one shot a read, it's perfect. All the characters are interesting and I love how no one is really a good person. Go read it, lol.