Yuri!!! on Ice

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by chii, Sep 22, 2016.

1. chii

chii Well-Known Member

Posted by chii on Sep 22, 2016
  2. Etue

Etue Well-Known Member

Posted by Etue on Sep 23, 2016
    Yaoi on ice.

There, we fixed the title, I hate this anime's title so much and it needs to change, I mean, why creator? Why Yuri as a title for this? Are you a troll, are you?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  3. Nicknames

Nicknames Database Moderator

I guess it's a mix of this and both males being named "Yuri". I'll watch it anyway, and to be honest I don't mind whether it has some yaoi undertones or it goes full Goosh Goosh.

4. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

I reeally want this to be good. The character designs are great, the animation in the trailers is fantastic and I think there's the potential for lots of good drama. Plus, I just like the idea of having something with a different from the norm setting like figure skating.

Basically I want this to be Free on ice.

5. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Amen, brother.

6. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Oct 5, 2016
    01:

Absolutely fucking brilliant first episode, I loved the shit out of this.

This was such a great introduction and setup, with a cool supporting and distinct varied cast of characters, nice comedy and I'm really digging the main character too. I love how much of an adorable dork he is, and it's just really endearing to me, to see how passionate he is, and how much he looks up to his idol. This episode just did a ton to make me get really invested in Yuri and this glamorous world of figure skating. The visuals, the animation, music, all spot on, and beautiful. I swear that last figure skating sequence had me hold my breath the entire time, the skating is beyond amazingly well choreographed here, it just feels fucking majestic. Figure skating has always been a sport I loved watching, and having an anime about it, makes me feel pretty happy.

Also, the fucking dog man, too goddamn adorable! I'm sad it passed away for him. :crying:

This just reminded me of watching a really great episode of Hajime no Ippo but with skating instead, and I'm really looking forward to what sort of journey Yuri is going to embark on. @ZetsubouKaiji you're definitely not going to be disappointed with this one. :drinking:

TLDR, this was full of personality overall.

BrainBlow likes this.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  7. ZetsubouKaiji

Episode 1:

Yeah, I'm totally with Gen here. The first episode was fabulous in every sense of the word.
    The ice skating is breathtaking and gorgeously animated with tons of movement. I can't even imagine how much MAPPA spent on those sequences, but it was well worth the time and effort. Animation wise this is MAPPA at their absolute best.

The previews were all super dramatic so I was bit surprised that there was a healthy dose of comedy in this episode, but it was actually charming and funny comedy that makes the characters start to grow on you already. I'm already eager to see how the main character can grow and develop his own skating style rather than just imitating his idol.

I also found Yuri's and his childhood friend's obvious crushes on each other to be reaaally adorable. I'm definitely rooting for those two, because let's face it even with the yaoi undertones no one is sexy enough for Viktor. Did you see those pink nipples and dat ass? My wife and I were both a little hot under the collar after that.

Despite the rather light hearted tone of the episode there were definitely more serious notes and I liked how seriously Yuri takes figure skating. It's nice to see a sports anime where the lead is already invested in the sport so when he starts training and improving rapidly it's a bit more believable than the same old newbie wunderkind. It's a lot of weight for a young guy to carry the hopes of his town, but it's also lovely how supportive they all are. I just worry he won't be able to lose that gut with all the fried pork around.

This was a very dense first episode with a lot happening, but it didn't feel rushed. Instead the fast pace was pretty comfortable and it set up the world and characters enough that we can now get to focusing on Yuri training and improving so he can be a proper rival for that smug Russian bad boy.

Great first episode. I am hyped for more. As Tents said to me I wish there was more out so we could binge it now.

BrainBlow, trottolina and Gens like this.
  8. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Oct 5, 2016
    This is also honestly the best premiere of the fall so far for me actually, and I think it's going to be pretty hard to topple it.

ZetsubouKaiji likes this.
  9. ZetsubouKaiji

Other than Drifters coming out of the gate strong, I don't see anything else on the schedule that will be able to touch this one. It's one of the best first episodes this year.

Gens likes this.
  10. ZetsubouKaiji

Well shit, I can't think of any better endorsement for this anime than to say it's the one that made Brad poke his head in on the forum.

Brad likes this.
  11. Nicknames

Nicknames Database Moderator

Episode 1

This was fabulously awesome and I wish I waited until it was over. It's going to be painful to wait a week for the next episode.

BrainBlow likes this.
  12. chii

chii Well-Known Member

Posted by chii on Oct 5, 2016
    dat OP & ED

This was everything I wanted and more.

trottolina likes this.
  13. hamletsmage

hamletsmage Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to recommend this to my mother, who loves male figure skating. She's not a fan of anime, but maybe i can get her to watch the skating parts. The animation is just so fluid and beautiful.

Also, dat ass... Someone did not skimp on the squats.

EvilMasterMind7 likes this.
  14. trottolina

trottolina Well-Known Member

Episode 1

So good I watched it twice. The episode opens with the sound of skates gliding on ice, and a half glimpsed figure moving gracefully. What a beautiful way to begin.

The OP, the ED, the skating sequences, the comedy, those reactions... I'm invested in the main characters already, and at least a couple of the secondary ones ( I love Yuri's mum)

ZetsubouKaiji likes this.
  15. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Oct 6, 2016
    Can't wait to watch this now.

16. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Oct 6, 2016
    Episode 1

Proof that with the right execution, anime has the ability to make literally any sport interesting? Because this was exactly what I wanted from the show.

Firstly, they're adults, not highschoolers, actual young adults with young adult lives, doing young adult things. Secondly, just when they tease the romance, BAM, she's married you goddamn shippers. And she's got triplets. Thirdly. Dat. Fucking. Ass. Fuck you and your perfect body Victor, they even gave you nipples.

Seriously though, this was great from start to finish, I was expecting Free: Skating edition, but we actually got something different to that, we got a mature and realistic look at the world of a sport that has a high amount of skill, and a low amount of pay and (public) glory, we see how cruel it can be when one or two bad competitions can end your season and have an entire media try and force you into retirement, even at the age of 23.

But we also got some great characters, Yuri was relatable (fuck off season weight gain, amirite Yuri?), Minako was pretty damn fun, and the childhood friends look like they could be pretty great support too. I like how they've made these connections for Yuri, but he still seems isolated, not particularly in a bad way, but it's an individual sport, and they're making sure that the feel of the show reflects that. The animation was fluid and the whole thing looked utterly amazing from start to finish, I liked the little comic touches they put in too, I really have nothing to complain about.

Also, is this show sponsored by Mizuno? Pretty much everything Yuri was wearing was Mizuno, and the logo was clear on almost everything. If that's the case, please sponsor a Judo anime Mizuno, you're literally the japanese judo teams sole supplier of judogi, team up with Mappa again and make something as good as this first episode was.

17. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Oct 12, 2016
    02:

I am honestly really impressed as fuck by how densely packed and amazing these episodes are. They do so much within 20 minutes and the characterization is just fantastic, with some fun comedy here too that it flies by within a heartbeat.

Sooooo much fun seeing the MC and Viktor interact, the engrish was hilarious. Viktor is so adorable and free-spirited, that "Tell me everything about you" moment had me blush pretty hard guys with my yaoi glasses, not gonna lie. Yet, despite all that, he's still got quite a sternness about him when it gets right down to the serious business. I just have no words for how great I think his character is already and he's charmed the pants off me. Honestly, this was just a really great build-up here, in setting the stakes up and I really want Nipon Yuri to kick his Russian rival's ass pretty bad and wipe the smugness of his face. Let the fight for the coach's teachings heart begin.

Anyway, I'm at a loss of words at the moment, someone else can go probably gush about this more effectively than I can. :laugh:

This show is seriously bringing me so much unbridled joy this season.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016