Your Top Anime 2020

Rascal

Gold Supporter
It's December 2020, so I think it's high time we as a community go over what we thought the best anime were this year! I know that due to how 2020 be there weren't as many as last year, but there were still some good ones I'm sure. Post a top 5, or top 3, or only your favorite, or even top 50 if you want. What anime did you like that came out this year?

DelectableImpracticalBeauceron-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
From what I've watched so far: (Not in any particular order.)
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
Somali and the Forest Spirit.
Arte.
Season 2 of Ascendance of a Bookworm.
Great Pretender.

All except Great Pretender - which I do plan to watch eventually - were among my top titles from 2020 that I've watch.

Also among my favorites for 2020:

Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It
BOFURI!
Fruits Basket Season 2
A Whisker Away
My Next Life as a Villaness - All Routes Lead to Doom!
My Teen Romance Comedy SNAFU Climax

Also among my favorites for 2020:

Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It
BOFURI!
Fruits Basket Season 2
A Whisker Away
My Next Life as a Villaness - All Routes Lead to Doom!
My Teen Romance Comedy SNAFU Climax

I actually thought about adding Fruits Basket Season 2, but I haven't watched all the episodes yet. (I got my mom hooked on the series, so I'm waiting to watch the rest of it with her. xD )

A Whisker Away was pretty good! :)

Haven't seen the others, but I'm sure I'd like My Teen Romance Comedy SNAFU Climax.

Edit: Forgot to mention Tower of God, though I still need to watch the rest.

Last edited:
It ain't over yet!... but...

Warlords of Sigrdrifa
is shaping up to be Anime of the Year! (and obviously Anime of the Season for Fall 2020)
Cute girls doing action things flying magical airplanes against weird monsters and all that awesomesauce. I'm behind on it but it's been great so far and the climax is coming. Oh yeah! Give me more of this!

In second place, it looks like it goes to: Smile Down the Runway
Fashion modeling and clothes making is awesomely exciting? Yes it is!

I guess 3rd place goes to Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story.
Nowhere near the original, but still pretty good.

https://www.anime-planet.com/users/BurntJelly/anime?year=2020&to_year=2020&sort=rating&order=desc
The rest... who cares. This year sucked for anime.
Ok fine, 2.5(average)+ was at least decent enough to be worth watching, and a few 2.0(below average) ones just for something to watch...

*In/Spectre - Yeah it has one bloated arc but I still found it charming and enjoyable.
*Wave, Listen to Me - A real sleeper hit with lots of tongue in cheek and sharp writing and not to mention a really solid lead.
*Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle - It's not over yet but this is definitely one of my top picks.
*Ascendance of a Bookworm S2 - Just a good as S1.

Honestly, I'm realizing a lot of what I enjoyed most isn't even necessarily what I consider technically/objectively best, so I'm going to put a section for what I personally enjoyed most and what I think was personally 'best constructed'.

Enjoyed Most:
1) Heaven's Official Blessing
2) My Next Life as a Villainess - All Routes Lead to Doom! - stupid and fun
3) Hanako (surprised myself with this one - but because it lead me to the manga, which I really enjoy, I really ended up appreciating it more in hindsight. I like twins and murder and drama and my favourite seiyuu voicing everyone)
4) Somali - kinda dumb at times but cute
5) Deca-dence

Best Constructed:
1) Eizouken
2) Great Pretender
3) Brand New Animal - from the 2 eps I saw, anyway
4) Millionaire Detective (even if stupid, that's seemingly kind of its intent)
5) Heaven's Official Blessing
+) Honorary Mention to All Those Good-Looking Sequels I Always Ignore

Worst Show I Watched: *Tie* Darwin's Game and Peter Grill - Darwin's Game is slightly more structurally sound, but was even more of a drag to watch due to Peter Grill being short episodes. So. Both

Meanwhile, there's an endless list of things that piqued my interest this season that I haven't finished watching yet.
Dorohedoro, Made in Abyss films, Saezuru films, Wave! Listen to Me (unfinished), that Moriarty show, etc... I haven't seen any of those yet and they could effect ranks. But yes

Honestly, I'm realizing a lot of what I enjoyed most isn't even necessarily what I consider technically/objectively best, so I'm going to put a section for what I personally enjoyed most and what I think was personally 'best constructed'.
That's a good idea, I've been thinking of making lists like that myself, but too bad AP doesn't have options to rate stuff with a public and personal ranking. I think I'll just draw from your 'best constructed' list if I make a community top 5 though.

I have to many older anime's I really wanna watch so I'm mostly putting the current stuff on hold for later. With that said since you ask for 2020 specifically I've only seen 3 shows.
1. Tower Of God: 5/5 You can thank this along with the Tales Of Bersaria game for getting me into my anime mood. I really enjoyed this anime. Alot. It was cool and my favourite char is Rak Wraithraiser. He made me one happy watching turtle :D
2. Drifting Dragons: 4.5/5 I'm at eps 9 but I'm finishing it off today so I'll edit this post once I do :D Its insanely beautiful.
Edit: Finished it now. Rating is unchanged. Thought it was a great show and would recommend to fans of Monster Hunter. Was a "feel good" kinda show.

3. Jujutsu Kaisen: 3/5 I'm at eps 6 so far but I plan to finish it off after DD. Atm its a little meh... Like its good but kinda boring. I can see potential though so once I'm through the world intro episodes I think it has a good chance to get better. Will return to edit this when I finish it too. ;)

Those are also the only shows I've seen from 2020 kek

Warlords of Sigrdrifa is shaping up to be Anime of the Year! (and obviously Anime of the Season for Fall 2020)
Cute girls doing action things flying magical airplanes against weird monsters and all that awesomesauce. I'm behind on it but it's been great so far and the climax is coming. Oh yeah! Give me more of this!
Hey awesomesauce is my word! :P
Never heard of a Norse Mythology show before. Looks interesting though. Added it to my WTW list ^^

Last edited:
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid was my surprise hit. Loved the world and characters much more than I thought I would.
Great Teacher Onizuka was surprisingly deep too. I figured it was all pervy older guy, but it has some touching moments.
My favorite oddity though is Cromartie High School. Just so bizarre!! It was amazing.

Re-watched first season of One Punch Man for maybe the 5th time? Still my all-time favorite anime.

Back