Your Lie in April

It'll probably be about the character deceiving themselves about their feelings. Especially Arima who is pretty damn repressed so far.

woah..i have super fast heartbeat and goosebumps after watching this... still can´t belive it...am i the only one??

Once again I check out the anime with thread buzz and it's a winner ...
Just ep1 so far, and it was great for all the reasons mentioned ...
but I haven't seen anyone say yet
that while Kaori is quite adorable starting with her cat pursuit and continuing with her pied-piper act, my attention was drawn to Tsubaki/tomboy/childhood friend from the start.
From her exuberant home run to trying to sneak out before the "body" was discovered was just a few seconds of air time, but it covered so much ground.

And then her reaction when Tsubaki tells her that *her* eyes are sparkling ... yikes.

The feels are going to be strong with this one.

Just half way through ep 2, this concept reminds me of piano mori

Ok finished it.

As for what reminded me of mori,
The concept were in a classical music competition were a contestant deviates from the set piece and makes it their own never going over well with the judges.

In mori, it was a main plot point, I figure in this show it'll just be a little aspect since the girl doesn't even care about winning.

Mori was focused on music, this is music + romance.

The animation budget is being distributed unevenly with good enough animation in regular parts and almost movie quality during music scenes, which aside from my gripes with the disappearing glasses is just fine by me.

liked the episode, especially that performance, it was nice to look at and listen to.

I'm gonna feel bad for the childhood friend who definitely is holding a torch for the glasses houdini .............they always do.........

Last edited:
yup, ep2 was even better, and that was a memorable concert.
I didn't mind
the cut-rate animation in the music room - didn't even notice it, actually. I was glad they were having Watari be so forthright and setting up a cut to a chase ... some animes would kill 3-4 eps with MC thinking "I can't express my feelings, my friend liked her first".

Perhaps the "lie in April" was just Arima pretending Watari was still at practice? I don't see how she could be confused by that for long ... he doesn't really conceal the way he is with girls.

Episode 1 & 2:
it was one of my bigger want to watches of this season but im a little behind on... every series without exception due to a work trip so catching up and i have enjoyed a lot of shows thus far but this one is taking the cake (and im seriously enjoying some others), heck i wasn't going to post here until i was back with watching them as they air (within 24hours) but it was so enjoyable i just had to come here to say how much i like it.

Praise aside im not gonna like the girl
look i know she probably isn't as much into the football dude as she lets on, clearly she wants Mr glasses (or why would she hate him so much to only want him there, and then use him to substitute), not this predictability isn't where problems lie, she might be as sweet as them milky buttons i don't quite care for (using something i care for might have worked better...) but to me that scowl of venom is a no go sign, well for sir glasses anyway (as we can see, watching lots of series in a few hours doesn't leave me well on names). BUT im not judging her by them 5 seconds here and there for now.

The show it's self is a beauty, the music is enjoyable, the first episode draws me in instantly with that somewhat great piano crazy mode (being a huge love of piano this helped), but the girl with her playing in the park was also quite exceptional. I don't know why but i wanted the kid to emo and go home for some reason... don't ask as i can't logically explain that considering i wanted to watch her play... Anyway, i liked her performance, can't say the same for the no go still framed people, im not hitting the animation and it's still frames here, it's not a first i have seen this (and sure as heck wont be the last) but the truth is, the other players was dull and i began getting bored... quickly, i wanted to join that other kid in that napping... But when she took stage i opened my eyes again and began to enjoy it.
I wont bother saying much more as everyone has said it all (probably have said what i have just said as well...) so yeah, in short. loving the series, the small personality issues i hold with most characters here is so minor i hardly notice it.

ONE PROBLEM
you know his friend... friend B? (the girl anyway...) it's clear she has a thing for this guy, so why essentially introduce him to his perfect match? It's beyond me, clearly they both would end up around one another, the music is a strong base line but going on their skills as well...
Point being this will bug me, i commonly find myself synthesising with the under dog (which she is sure taking the role of) but also the friend who is so stupid they let themselves loose due to... being stupid. (Maybe i base their friendship should of helped?). Either way, things don't look good for me here... which is dumb and contradicting as i like music so miss venom would work... hmm... you see the problem now? o.o

PROBLEM TWO!!!
i am going to have to read the manga now... another manga on my list of many ._.

Ignoring my dumb comments though, it's a great series thus far.

I'm gonna feel bad for the childhood friend who definitely is holding a torch for the glasses houdini .............they always do.........
If your serious... im not alone xD

Madoka said:
you know his friend... friend B? (the girl anyway...) it's clear she has a thing for this guy, so why essentially introduce him to his perfect match? It's beyond me, clearly they both would end up around one another, the music is a strong base line but going on their skills as well...

Tsubaki introduced Kaori to Arima because her influence would help him get over his trauma with the piano and enjoy it again, because she is a good friend to him and his being alright goes way beyond "keeping him to herself" or whatever crap.

---
Also, I am in love with this show. Head over heels.

Tsubaki introduced Kaori to Arima because her influence would help him get over his trauma with the piano and enjoy it again, because she is a good friend to him and his being alright goes way beyond "keeping him to herself" or whatever crap.

Exactly this. She did it because she actually cares about him and his well being. She's in essence a great and caring friend even if it will cause her some heartache.

Well, at least in this case the main girl is seemingly worth it. Usually the girl who loses is the better of the two (or 3 or however many they have).

Although that's usually because they can write some form of emotional character development into them that the main never gets.

yeah, normally the winner is the new girl with no prior history with the main but has long hair and considered the more beautiful character amongst the cast, totally different from this. :cereal:

I get what you're saying, but this show is walking the fine line currently. hopefully blondy is as dynamic as she appears.

Well, at least in this case the main girl is seemingly worth it. Usually the girl who loses is the better of the two (or 3 or however many they have).

Although that's usually because they can write some form of emotional character development into them that the main never gets.

^That.
Though i suppose it's too early to speak yet, thus far it's looking this way anyway but a few episodes isn't enough just yet, i just hope they don't do a 180 on the main girl, that's commonly the worst thing a series can do, regardless if they plan to let her win or not (of course assuming we are talking a 180 from good -> crap)

Episode 3:

I liked this episode but thought it was a downgrade from the first two. A lot of the humor in this episode didn't quite click with me and the drama quickly descends into some real cheesy territory and while not horrible it still doesn't quite have the simple beauty of the first two episodes.

The real problem with this episode is that I found Kaori annoying this episode. Even if her attitude toward music might have some similarities her actual personality is a bit grating as she goes from sweet to abusive at the drop of a switch. While I do think Arima needs a kick in the pants to get him started playing once again this episode goes way overboard with it and Kaori and Tsubaki both come off as being waaaaaaaaaaaay too pushy. Their attitude could have just as easily driven Arima further away from music. A lot of it was played for laughs but I didn't find it funny or cute.

This episode also has a ton of exposition with character pretty much just vomiting up their motives and feelings. It wasn't horribly done but it was noticeable. The scene on the bus was especially bad with Kaori and Tsubaki just plainly spelling out their feelings. The conversation didn't feel completely unrealistic like most bad exposition but it still felt kind of off. Although this bit also does introduce a new plot point with Kaori going to the hospital. I assume it is to visit someone as she suggests there is also someone in her life that is not well to Arima.

Then there's Arima himself. The opening scene with the piano wasn't playing and his speech about not being able to hear the music was good stuff. I like how his trauma is being treated and that remains true this episode. The conversation about not being able to hear the music being his punishment was quite sad, but not so over the top as to dip into cheese. The treatment of his trauma is still really strong and are the best bits of this episode. He doesn't realize that he is actually punishing himself with his inability to play because of the abuse he suffered from his mother. He's drawn to music but also repelled by it because music is tied up with his harsh memories and it has never been fun for him. This is why his meeting Kaori is so important as she is someone that loves music for the fun and freedom it gives her.

However, what does dip into cheese are his feelings for Kaori. I get he's attracted to Kaori but when she's being so abusive his monologues about seeing colors and everything start to get to be a bit much. Also, I don't like how he just gives into the pressure put on him and I hope things don't go swimmingly when he is forced to perform like this. If he doesn't have some kind of breakdown I'll be a little disappointed.

And that's basically all that happens this episode so it was pretty light on content this time around.

It's still a good episode, but there are some definite flaws that hold it back from being great.

Any notion of Kousei falling for Kaori must be attributed to something akin to Stockholm Syndrome, as he's essentially taken hostage by the girl. I've rarely seen a more manipulative character than Kaori. At any moment Kousei could snap mentally and spend the rest of his life in an institution, but hey, the girl got have that pianist.

Also, I doubt very much that Tsubaki is aware of her own feelings. We've all seen enough anime, to know that Japanese people are rarely aware of their own feelings -- especially in middle school. It will take something like a sneaky peeky of Kousei and Kaori kissing for her to properly identify her own feelings for her childhood friend. I don't understand that, because I'm not Japanese, duh.

Those delicious tears though.
The more emotionally destructive this series is, the better. Let's make some memories and Here's the future, anime bros! :drinking:

Any notion of Kousei falling for Kaori must be attributed to something akin to Stockholm Syndrome, as he's essentially taken hostage by the girl. I've rarely seen a more manipulative character than Kaori. At any moment Kousei could snap mentally and spend the rest of his life in an institution, but hey, the girl got have that pianist.

:laugh::laugh: This is the truth. As over the top pushy as she was this episode.

Also, I doubt very much that Tsubaki is aware of her own feelings. We've all seen enough anime, to know that Japanese people are rarely aware of their own feelings -- especially in middle school. It will take something like a sneaky peeky of Kousei and Kaori kissing for her to properly identify her own feelings for her childhood friend. I don't understand that, because I'm not Japanese, duh.

Oh I think she's aware even if she doesn't understand the full consequences of what she's feeling. Her reactions this episode make that pretty clear. It's more like she is pushing back those feelings for his own good because she knows it is not what he needs right now. When something happens to make those pushed back feelings come out is when we'll get the drama with her. Besides these kids are middle schoolers so their naivety about their feelings has more to do with their age than being Japanese.

ep 3
Enjoyed it up to the point blondy randomly starting balling out it tears.......that came out of nowhere.

Childhood friend is in denial.

Blonde chick pushy attitude and comedic violence in this episode largely pushed her to fit firmer in the cliche role of the blonde female character.

Kind if feeling mr. disappearing glasses' reason for not playing, then again, kind of not. I assume he's saying when he plays, he's like programed to play and can't really enjoy the music he's playing in his strive to play it perfectly.

The little rid pit of music was pretty nice in this episode, I shared in the moment of blue balls like everyone in the room from sheer disappointment in him stopping. Lucky me, I could at least rewind to when he was playing, which I did about 5 times.:megusta: Reminded me of when Nodame did it.......hers was better but she was in full performance mode using 2 hands so I'll let it slide.

Last edited:
Episode 3

I still enjoyed this a lot, but I agree that compared to the first 2 it wasn't quite at the same level, mainly due to the humour which broke the atmosphere of the scenes at some points. I think exaggerating the 2 parts of Kaori, can work when required, but it felt too much in this episode where Kousei is trying to deal with his trauma.

As for the hospital stop, to me it seemed more that Kaori herself is the ill one, she wants to leave something in peoples hearts forever, isn't that pretty much "I want to leave something to be remembered by"? That's how it seemed to me. It also explains her tears at the end.

Tsubaki is obviously confused about her feelings for Kousei, she's not sure if she really see's him as a love interest or as a "hopeless kid brother", though it seems she is coming around to the fact that it is probably the former rather than the latter. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out, who's to say that Kaori will ever see Kousei in the same way he see's her?

Back