Your Lie in April

Re: Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Everything about this looks lovely. I'll be depressed if it turns out to be bad, which I doubt will be the case!

I'll probably spend a couple hours replaying the opening, too...

The PV makes this look super adorable!

This season's already pretty full for me, but I might start this after hearing what people are saying about it after episode 1.

I do hope the show is not too heavy on the dramatic side, though! Hopefully they'll balance out that and the comedy, that's usually how I like these shows the most.

Dead parent.
Buzzkil MC.
Genki Girl.

Yeah...no. The peppy girl will probably have a sad backstory or some bullshit like that, and the show will get all annoying and whiny. Pass.

Well, I didn't know anything about this one before but it suddenly shot up the priorities list. Now just cross my fingers and hope it turns out good.

Good news. The manga is apparently ending next Spring and the anime will adapt everything. Yay for complete stories!

Episode 1:

This episode floored me right off the bat with the beautiful animation of an adorable girl chasing a cat and then hit me with the absolutely lovely opening song. After that the episode didn't let up or disappoint. The humor was great and the more serious parts start to develop the characters right away. Then it has such an adorable ending it was impossible for me not to love it.

A lot of the episode is standard set up stuff, we have our introverted lead, his childhood friend and the horny guy, and then introverted guy meets his manic pixie dream girl. However, the episode takes the basic formula and builds off it to great success.

We're instant introduced Tsubaki we already know she's a tomboy and our lead Kousei is used to covering for her. From this simple scene of her breaking the window we learn a lot about the dynamics of their relationship without a ton of exposition and watching them interact tells me a lot more anyway. From there we're introduced to horny guy that's mostly comic relief until the end.

After this we get into the meat of the episode and Kousei's trauma and reason he is so introverted. Abused by his mother and left alone by his father he's closed himself off from the world. He wastes his skill with the piano writing Karoke to pass the time, but it is completely understandable after the abuse he suffered at his mother's hands and the her dying before he could even achieve her dream. It's sad and there's a lot of potential for good drama here. This was a good introduction to the problem and I kind of like that he can still play the piano he just doesn't want to perform. The piano is still his comfort zone and colors the way he sees the world and yet he can't break free from his trauma so his world becomes the monochrome keys of the piano. It's a brilliant metaphor.

Then he meets the girl Kaori and goddamn if she isn't just completely adorable. Of course she has the passion for music and is perfect for our main character..but she likes horny guy and they get off to a terrible start. Both of these would be warning signs for me, but the episode pulls it off nicely and I doubt this is going to fall into misunderstanding polygon territory. Instead, I think it will be more about the characters and growing up and Kousei learning to be able to play for people again. The scene with the misunderstanding was actually quite hilarious and I loved Kaori's reaction to it instead of pissing me off I was laughing along because of the way the episode handled the whole. The same thing with her being into horny guy, you get the impression that won't last anyway.

The music was once again quite good in that scene and I love the simple song she plays with the children it was quite relaxing to listen to. Then at the end despite the misunderstanding she takes his hand and leads him on to listen to her play, it's a very cute scene with his reaction and I can't wait to actually hear her next episode.

I love the character designs for all of the characters so far I think they match so well. I think this episode just about executes everything perfectly. It takes a dry outline and turns it into something special with boatloads of charm and humor.

Great start.

Episode 1

Pretty much what ZK said. I kind of dropped this from my priorities after I realised that picked up a fuckton of shows this season, seeing the good reactions made me give it a go though. I loved the artstyle, it really had that manga like flair to it, and it was animated beautifully too.

A couple of things to point out that really got me
The first thing I really noticed by the end of the episode was the absence of music in some scenes, in a show like this it really works well, where they're using the ambient noise of the surroundings and no music just to highlight the visual on screen, they absolutely nailed it.

Secondly, there were some lovely little details here and there in the artstyle that really stood out for me, and this is gonna sound really stupid, but the line work shading on the side of the noses just looked brilliant, it lent a really illustrative feel to the whole show while still looking polished, it basically zoned right in on the kind of style that I really love to see.
Also, I actually disagree with Link, I'd like to see more well done and balanced drama, and less comedy with this.

I'd agree the drama side of things was handled even more brilliantly than the comedy. The drama is done in just the right tone and it'll be interesting to watch him progress through his monochrome world. What could have been cheesy is instead turned into a simple to understand non-pretentious metaphor which is kind of nice. We're dealing with one guy's personal struggle instead of him trying to find some kind of universal truth. I like the small scale of it because it feels more personal and real.

^ I-is... Is the world coming to an end now? But I agree that it was unbelievably cute.

I'd have to disagree with you guys here. The comedy felt way more natural than the drama and I enjoyed that part a lot more. Not saying the drama was bad, far from it, but the funny bits were better. I wouldn't mind it going for a more serious approach later on though. And I think the reason for all the angst is a very legit one.

Oh! I forgot to mention this, but i have a shocking confession to make about this episode.

I found the cat bit when she said "Nyah!" really cute. The shame i feel right now :crying:
OK, I gotta drop EVERYTRHING ELSE and watch this RIGHT NOW!

I found the cat bit when she said "Nyah!" really cute. The shame i feel right now :crying:

I'd comment on the episode but important matters first: Brad, have a cat girl you lovable closet neko-lover.

2yo8waw.jpg

Episode 1:

We are given a well animated anime with an excellent art style if I say so myself, reminiscent of Chihayafuru it seems in some ways. While the anime starts we are given the angle of ordinary students going about their day with their own interests. We are given the angles from which they view each other in a natural way. Then comes the self reflection of our male lead which while not quite as subtle as one would like and some of the lines being laughable are delivered and written through with enough flair that they could be glanced over. The bleak outlook of the protagonist as well as the worries of the childhood friend and the aloof nature combine well giving basically all but the female lead a fulfilling characterizing moment.

The female lead then get's her introduction seperately as she is not part of their group before this point in time, it feels natural and while the pantyshot was wince worthy it is thankfully used for about two scenes and doesn't create superficial drama instead it's pushed to the background in a way that doesn't disacknowledge it but makes sure that the characters are not overreacting and stuck in the moment when they know it would upset and ruin their day, this style of natural acting is something most romances avoid since they like to quickly serve their drama on ready dishes since they believe people can't wait for their desserts. The story flow was good and the characterization is among the best I've seen despite the episode being a character central one it didn't feel unnatural and that certainly is a promise for a shining future if this episode is an indication of what is to come. :love:

Singing praises, what is wrong with me?

Last edited:

Don't understand what Brad found so cute about the cat and girl ... just normal cat/girl interaction in my world. Big-ear kitty is cute, but not especially adorable, and girl chasing and playing with cat ... well, isn't that just a normal reaction to a kitty? LOL

I like this show. Cute, but not overly so. Good premise with potential to go somewhere special and new. Interesting characters with shades beyond their stereotypical cliche-type. Glad you convinced me to watch it, everyone. Gonna continue as new episodes become available.

Don't worry Brad that girl is made of charm. I'm sure you can be excused for this one. She's impossible not to find adorable.

Back