You online vs. you in person

Forum game idea: Drunk AP users bingo. Fill out a slot every time a user says they're drunk. Vuh, Gens, and VK are free spaces
I'm game......
tenor.gif

I would say there would be little different between me online and offline. I am pretty straight forward, the way I am is the way I am everywhere. I don't find entertainment by being someone else, acting is not really my thing. I would say the main difference is you would be more exposed to my annoying personality haha. I am quite direct, and I tease people all the time. But you can know that I won't ever talk behind your back, I have strong principles: if I say something bad about you, be sure that I would say it to your face I don't do two face.

Different angle: You online like 5 years ago. I cringe any time I see a comment I made anywhere on the internet that's more than like a year. Even if what was said is perfectly agreeable
Being a long-time member, I sometimes see comments that are like...
mzM4LL8.png
decades old...
5 years ago I was an oversensitive, overdramatic idiot with zero communication skills, sense of empathy, or regard for anyone but myself.

So nothing's changed really
tenor.gif

Nah JK I have gotten better, but it took a lot of different people calling me out at every turn. I basically learned how to handle other peoples opinions through interactions on the internet. But in the beginning, yeah, it was a bummer how immature I was. Obviously I'm not done with that little journey toward internet maturity but it's far better now.

Fuck yes, looking back at things like those is terrible. I check out my posts in some of the forums I joined when I was still in high school, and boy, the balls on me to type things to make myself look tougher and older than I actually was. I don't know who I thought I was fooling then.
Coming of age on the internet is a scary thing. It's easy to delete things now, but the shame of posting such juvenile crap online is a forever kind of thing, even if you used an anonymous name to say those things. We were all kids, we all wanted to look cool, and to look cool, we were convinced we had to have such radical opinions. Then, we grow up, interact with the world a little bit, and realize there are way bigger things out there - bigger than our egos and our need to be an online superstar. Then, we discover ourselves a little more, learn to become more secure in ourselves, and find there was no need to stand out in the first place. Especially since nobody else out there really gives a fuck.

Point is, everything we said as a teenager is guaranteed cringe.
And then you look back again in another 10 years and realize that everything you said when you were 20 is bullshit cringe, and then 30, and so on and so forth. Life is just a repeating cycle of being a little less wrong about things overtime.

My goth phase was a treasure trove of bad poetry and diary entries. Amazing stuff for me.
"Dear Diary

The wind is like my feelings, fleeting, affecting no one besides inconvenience, the dark of night is like my soul, pitch black illuminated only with painful sparks of white which gift me the only feelings i've ever known, pain, naught else can penetrate the fortress of sadness and solitude that is my heart
tumblr_on5jx0ngtg1ual9cko1_400.gif

in other news the new MCR album came out and it's my bibleeeeee"

While essentially accurate, this was lazy.

My references and quotes are more accurate online for one... because I can double check them before posting. Though I'll still be quick to make them.

I have better grammar and my accent can't be heard online. I joke that I only know one language, and I speak it poorly. I exaggerate, but it sure does seem to me like I sound retar... that ain't PC... ah, republican... that ain't either... or that I fuck my cousin. Even though I know I don't really sound that stupid or hick.

I'm loud and super talkative once I get going. I still make jokes that people might be thinking but don't or won't make aloud from time to time.

I forget words a lot. You know, you'll be talking to someone, about to say something, or describe something, and you forget he exact word you wanna use. You know it, you can think of synonyms that convey the same thing, but aren't as accurate as you'd like. Yeah, I do that far more often than I like. I do it online too, but I can google a description of the word or it's synonyms and then post what I wanted to say. Thus appearing as if I have a more reliable, larger vocabulary. I still have the same vocabulary in person, I just come off like I'm getting alzheimers.

Ah... ya might be mesmerized by my hair and beard? I dunno, if that's your thing or whatever.

I don't talk about anime in person unless it comes up. Not that I'm ashamed of anime or anything (well, maybe the fandom, damn dirty weebs).

I do listen to the same old anime music from my earlier days of watching anime when driving. I have it mixed in with everything else I listen to. So when something like a Tenchi OP pops up, my friends are reminded that I'm a bit of an odd duck. But, at least some of them know about eurobeat and know the Initial D memes.

I make way more Smokey and the Bandit reference jokes in person.

It may not be obvious, but I think of extra things to say in relation to things I've already said earlier, but after the conversation has changed or I've moved along with my thoughts. I can just place them where they go online. At least in forums. In person, I either have to let things be or I say them with a pre-face.

There's probably more, but that's a more detailed answer.
Yeah to me you sound nothing like you do online, I was like, why didn't he mention his southerny accent and stuff, and way of speaking which has a lot of personality, none of which comes through online through text.

Me irl is actually not mean.
tenor.gif

I say this for years and you only just now admit it? Good grief

I dodged a bullet by removing all my youtube vlogs from 2007-2008-ish. I would probably have kept going had windows movie maker not cut support for webcams beginning with Vista, and I was too technologically illiterate at this point to figure out that you could even then get free software just to record stuff which I could then put on WM.
It was probably for the better, and there were kids that knew of my videos and gave me shit for them. Not only was I a teenager, but an asperger one that had still not really figured out the "fitting in" part when it came to self-expression and body language. So pretty cringe, though a video I made about aspergers was probably my most well-received one.
Funnily enough I was actually gaining subscribers at a speed that, had I continued, I probably could actually have made it "big" if the quality of the videos would have increased as well. But as I have mentioned elsewhere, there are points in my life where I could see myself having slid down very different paths, and this is one of them where I could see myself getting "radicalized" in basically almost any direction. Maybe I would be one of the youtube brogressives with furry avatars that cross their arms menacingly when they lay the verbal beatdown.
Either way it probably would have been cringe as fuck and affected my social life negatively since politics and news stories were frequent subjects. At least I had the wisdom to just delete everything once I realized I wasn't going to pursue it further. *shudder*
I could honestly still see you doing a youtube vlog thing today and still do pretty well. Mostly because of this:

How different I am from the forum is... not much? At least currently. Certainly wasn't the case in the past when I invested more personal identity and time into online personality. I'm probably actually nicer and more patient IRL, big surprise. Though I'm an argumentative ass anywhere else more anonymous with more news related stuff. On places like here I'll generally say what I'll happily say IRL, though here I get to be wordier and more impressed by myself. Depends on the social context, obviously. A meet-up is a horrific thought because I'd likely be curt to the point of rudeness for hours until I get a better feel, unless someone magically could have a neutral topic that lasts more than a few sentences. like d&d
Not many people online have the talent of getting their personality across so clearly online and you particularly have a good one for that sort of youtube personality.

I’m honestly scared that I’m just making more cringy posts for future me to delete right now. :sweat:
Nah you've somehow managed to stay out of the "edgy" pitfall all this time so you probably won't regret anything you've posted so far.

Oh they will be. Especially overly modest or confident posts. Seeing comments you don't remember specifically when you posted is the writing equivalent of hearing your voice in a recording. You know it's yours but it doesn't feel like it.
And with each passing day I feel like I've never met the man making those past posts of mine more and more.

Man, A-P Mafia would be the most amazing shit ever.
Me, @Zed60K, and @Thrawn:
veggie.jpg

God, that brings back so many memories when I used to do forum games.......and now look at me, all old talking about getting drunk all the time.
Yeah, you got boring, but there's still time for you to be the exciting kind of boring

I would say there would be little different between me online and offline. I am pretty straight forward, the way I am is the way I am everywhere. I don't find entertainment by being someone else, acting is not really my thing. I would say the main difference is you would be more exposed to my annoying personality haha. I am quite direct, and I tease people all the time. But you can know that I won't ever talk behind your back, I have strong principles: if I say something bad about you, be sure that I would say it to your face I don't do two face.
Sounds similar to how I am, we'd probably get along :^]

God, that brings back so many memories when I used to do forum games.......and now look at me, all old talking about getting drunk all the time.
I've spent the entire day cleaning my bookmark folder and youtube playlists that are as old as some of the users here. So much stuff that I just don't feel like keeping attachments to because it doesn't feel relevant anymore. And then I find the stuff that apparently will only feel more relevant with time, and already does. I might as well just have linked this from the start. No need for half this thread.
Its original release (and my first listening to it) back in late 2014 suspiiiiciously coincides with with me a rather short amount of time later getting the ball of life rolling again and restarting my education. Nothing like some optimistic nihilism to somehow get me moving forward after telling me how lame I am being.

People who've met me through internet meetups have said that the difference between irl and ol me is I'm....more? Like, they describe me exactly the same but the intensity of who I am is ramped up a lot? I'm also told I'm funnier irl but that's because situational quick witted humor is my strong suit. Also the collar throws people off usually.

People who've met me through internet meetups have said that the difference between irl and ol me is I'm....more? Like, they describe me exactly the same but the intensity of who I am is ramped up a lot? I'm also told I'm funnier irl but that's because situational quick witted humor is my strong suit. Also the collar throws people off usually.
I always found a collar a bold fashion statement...*nudges closet door closed*

I'm probably a lot more stiff and rigid IRL than my behavior here would suggest, aside from when I'm drunk. My friends and colleagues have always said I'm an absolute maniac and life of the party when I'm drinking but otherwise I've been alternatively known by nicknames like "The Inspector" and "The Robot". But I've always let loose when my coworkers and I go out to a bar or when I'm out with my friends at a cafe. On the Internet I don't really care because hey, y'all don't affect my job performance and/or approval rating so there's no filter. But in the real world I'm guarded at all times until I'm not, then it's just guns blazing.

I'm probably a lot more stiff and rigid IRL than my behavior here would suggest, aside from when I'm drunk. My friends and colleagues have always said I'm an absolute maniac and life of the party when I'm drinking but otherwise I've been alternatively known by nicknames like "The Inspector" and "The Robot". But I've always let loose when my coworkers and I go out to a bar or when I'm out with my friends at a cafe. On the Internet I don't really care because hey, y'all don't affect my job performance and/or approval rating so there's no filter. But in the real world I'm guarded at all times until I'm not, then it's just guns blazing.
That's exactly what I'd expect from your pictures, vruh. It's like reading a character from their design, but like, real life and shit.

I'm glad you're more comfortable here though, you fit right in

I’m *almost* the same online vs in person.
With the exception of my actually speaking.
In person I don’t really tend to speak very much, I certainly never feel confident enough to initiate a conversation although I can continue one.
I guess I’m a “speak when spoken to” sort of person... I’m a little bit more forthcoming online right? Right?

Google is the only reason it looks like I can spell most words. It's also the reason I know the year most movies came. It's certainly not because some numbers freak that memorized the year every movie came out.

I use google on my job every time. Me trying to remember all the syntax in programming would be like hell on earth. All I basically need is a quick skim over and everything floods into my head like a motor reflex.

Last edited:
I use google on my job every time. Me trying to remember all the syntax in programming would be like hell on earth. All I basically need is a quick skim over and everything floods into my head like a motor reflex.
My cup stackoverflows with good programming advice as well. I would be dead in the water without the internet sometimes.

Well, using those compilers that catch syntax errors help too.

My cup stackoverflows with good programming advice as well. I would be dead in the water without the internet sometimes.

Well, using those compilers that catch syntax errors help too.
Google is pretty much a required skill in programming and IT in general XD Honestly, the shocking fact that there are, in fact, people who suck at Google is half the reason tech support even exists...

And if you think compile-time syntax checking is nice, just wait until other IDEs catch up to Visual Studio and start syntax checking as you type.

the shocking fact that there are, in fact, people who suck at Google

Customers : do you sell X
Me : no I’ve never heard of it
Customers : but I seen it on the internet
Me : ok let’s check
*checks*
Me : right we don’t sell X, but we PAY GOOGLE TO COME UP IN SUPPLEMENT SEARCHES so just cause we come up as a result doesn’t mean we do what you’ve searched for. You have to actually check our website.
Customer : oh I didn’t know that.

I am almost same in both online and in person except when it comes to online,RPG,i am a master of it.i may look proper and mannered in online but trust me,the way my position my body is,one leg up on table another leg down to chair,lying on the floor like dead,makes other people look i am appealing to them.

I tend to speak better online because I can edit what I say.
The fun part of offline me is that I will often say ridiculous things by accident.
"You know, I am my sister's sister!" (I am her brother in real life).

Back