You online vs. you in person

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RascaI, Sep 27, 2018.

1. RascaI

RascaI Well-Known Member

Posted by RascaI on Sep 27, 2018
    Share what defines your online self and makes it distinct from the you in reality. Like, how would how we see you change if we were talking to you in real life? Are you more stutter-y? Are you more reserved IRL? Do you speak like a weeb but talk like a normal person online like some kind of Japanese brainwashed sleeper agent? Are you distractingly beautiful so we won't be able to focus on what you're saying? How would our expectations be defied during a meetup?

[​IMG]

2. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

I like to think I'm the same online and offline. Maybe a tad bit more chatty online.

Nicknames, HasseRovdjur and RascaI like this.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted by Guest on Sep 27, 2018
    Stray is stray.

Nicknames and CaptainSlow like this.
  4. Nitroglycerin

Nitroglycerin Well-Known Member

I’m not a whole lot different- quieter and softer (cause I act hard af but I’m not). Otherwise I am what I am

5. Starra

Starra Database Moderator

Posted by Starra on Sep 28, 2018
    I prefer talking to people online rather than IRL because I don't know what the fuck I'm doing and at least online I can think of a response... IRL I tend to say really dumb things (I mean, I do that online too, but I do it more IRL) and nobody ever gives a shit about what I'm talking about. Not that they do online either, but there's a chance somebody is going to care about my opinions on anime and laugh at my stupid jokes that are too NSFW to repeat in most IRL company. Or at least I like to think so.

At least online people appreciate all the useless trivia I know, such as the fact that kangaroos can't hop backwards.

6. JigenDaisuke

JigenDaisuke Well-Known Member

Oof, I am an embarrassing sight in person lmao. I'm way better with typed words than spoken words (which is embarrassing considering most of what this site has seen of me lmao) and my social confidence was shot down hard in the aftermath of an ordeal a couple years ago; I'm currently in the process of gaining it back little by little with each time I make myself get out of the house, but damn am I probably at my most awkward at this point in time :/

7. YugiMoto

YugiMoto Active Member

I love to talk about other peoples hobbies and about ecchi hentai with people in other website

EternalYumeLove and PreciousEgg like this.
  8. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

When you first meet me in person, you wouldn't guess I'm the same guy I don't talk much, I don't like shaking hands, I usually let my brothers do the talking, etc. Hang out with me for a few days however, and I become my usual obnoxiously opinionated self. Only in person I'm worse. Like good Lord, I will ramble on a subject for a good 10 minutes.

9. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Sep 28, 2018
    I might give off a strong "Why am I here" or "Today wasn't worth getting off my bed" impressions, and you would be very lucky to get a hold on me for more than 10 minutes, otherwise I'm already sick of you even before we meet. Basically, the same thing I am online, only more unpleasant to deal with.

10. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

IRL I am far more likeable and affable and eloquent and nice. Or not. I'm probably even more annoying and condescending IRL than online. And I most likely visibly cringe when discussing anime otaku terminology. Hard to convey that online.

11. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Sep 28, 2018
    You'd all melt in the presence of my awesome irl.

12. SpanglishJC

SpanglishJC Well-Known Member

There are quite a few differences between how I might come across online compared to real life. I think the most prominent difference is that I am a fair bit more confident when talking to strangers/people I barely know. In real life, I am often rather quiet if in a group where the majority of which are people I don't really know.

I can extend this to text chat vs voice chat. I feel I am much more expressive when using voice chat. When I read back some of my messages I can sometimes read rather monotone or robotic. That probably explains (to some degree) why I struggle to post very much on the forums.

13. Franconator

Franconator Well-Known Member

When I'm with strangers, I'm quiet and in a constant state of annoyance. When I'm with friends, I'm still in that state of annoyance, but I can be sarcastic, a shitposter, or both at the same time to balance out the cynicism. When I'm online, I'm all of these, but less angry overall. I'm not sure why. Maybe the opinions of online strangers with cartoon characters for faces matter more to my grizzled heart than I'll ever know.

Oh, and I like to think I'm less awkward on the internet. I've always felt more comfortable writing my thoughts instead of speaking them anyway.

14. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

I hate small talk or just conversation about anything I don't give a damn about, so I guess I'd be less talkative IRL since there's a lot of situations where that kind of tedium ain't avoidable. If I'm typing anywhere online it's about something that interests me, so that doesn't happen. I also like my alone time a lot, so unless I'm really enjoying myself, expect me to be sort of annoyed if I need to be around people for a long while, like a day or more. Again, that doesn't translate well online.

Otherwise, what you see is what you get, I guess.

15. PreciousEgg

PreciousEgg Well-Known Member

yes.

16. RascaI

RascaI Well-Known Member

Well you are distractingly beautiful, but i cant confirm the rest

EternalYumeLove and MistLiigh like this.
  17. Starletka

Starletka Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I'm even worse in person

18. Damias

Damias Database Moderator

Why should I tell you shit?

EternalYumeLove likes this.
  19. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Sep 28, 2018
    You don't have to, we can always just assume you're a hamster in a small pink dress on a wheel.

20. MistLiigh

MistLiigh Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a pattern here, where most of us seem to be introverts who are less inclined to talk to real people than to shitpost with a bunch of fellow weebs online. Myself included.......

I suppose I'm also less chibi and adorable than my avatar, so that's a bit of a difference. Though to be fair chibi Phos does set a pretty high standard...

Now @TurkeyGami, why don't you sit down here and tell us about you?
    [​IMG]