Yatterman Night

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Guest, Jan 1, 2015.

1. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Re: Yatterman of the Night

Episode 1.

Not sure what to make of this one. First episode was okay, I guess. Leopards voice is fucking annoying though.

2. randomredneck

Episode 2.
    That was weird and depressing. I don't like weird and depressing.

3. BanishedLink

BanishedLink New Member

Episode 1.

Feels like if Gurren Lagann and Zvezda were mixed together but a little more serious. Liking it so far.

Episode 2.

Still liking it and will watch at least until episode 3.

4. randomredneck

Episode 3.
    The mildly cool ending saved this from being dropped.

5. randomredneck

Episode 4.
    Oh, come on!
    When is Doronjo gonna win a fight already!? That episode looked like it'd finally go her way, but Pregnant Bitch and Space Dandy turn on them and it ends all depressing like again.
    Jeez.

6. 8MangaMan

8MangaMan Well-Known Member

You don't consider last episode a win? They blew up a bunch of Yatterman and the bird thing and were all like "Peace Out" while leaving on a flying bike. I considered that a win.

7. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Feb 5, 2015

Episode 1

Well that was unexpectedly good
    I agree with RR's assessment in the DAT thread actually, it is a little weird, and it is a little depressing, though I'd be more tempted to use the word dark.

But what a first episode, probably one of my favourites this season, when Dorothy dies at the end I actually felt sad because the writers, although not particularly doing anything amazingly innovative with the characters, still managed to build her up enough for me to care about, a pretty good achievement for a 20 minute show!

Leopard is an awesome name for a girl too, especially when she's already questioning what it means to be a hero and takes it upon herself to exact punishment on what is obviously a police state (no one in, no one out, on pain of death).

The artstyle was great, kind of comic like, tons of energy and it manages to express a lot of atmosphere in the set design and emotion through the characters.
    I'm glad I picked this up!

8. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Episode 2

They did a pretty great job of making the situation look hopeless here, all those Yattermen robots, and they just kept finding them. And the Yatter Kingdom doesn't look like heaven to me, all the houses look in states of disrepair, all the residents terrified of even hearing the mention of the Yattermen.

Of course, it's all wrapped up in this kind of kids show comedy, big ass giant hand robot for forehead flicking, getting blown up and escaping on a 3 person tandem. It works for me, because there always seems to be this atmosphere of downtrodden-ness to it, so while it parodies things, it never feels like it is trying to get me to laugh at what's happening.

I think it's obvious that the new girl is blind, and I'm interested to see where this goes with her, maybe the house will become their new base of operations or something.

9. 8MangaMan

Glad you're enjoying it so far Tae. I find it has a surprisingly well executed mix of dark and lighthearted moments. So far this season, Leopard is one of my favorite leading characters due to her outlook on the situation she is in.

10. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

I can definitely see myself feeling the same as the show goes on. Thanks for putting me on to it!

11. randomredneck

Episode 5.
    That was the most weirdly epic robot fight I've seen in some time. It was equal parts weird and wacky, and completely awesome. Combine that with Team Doronjo winning for a change, and Redneck is happy.

12. 8MangaMan

Ep 5

I love how strange this show is.
    The "Tyzon" boxer had me laughing good. Also when Gatchan was feeling proud for pushing down Leopard repeatedly. I want to know what's the deal with those dice though.

Takashi must be drinking something every second he's not on screen to pee that much.

Won a `1v3 mecha fight only to have the mecha explode 2 scenes later. Low move by the Yatterman striking when they already fought.

13. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Feb 9, 2015

Episode 5

Definitely a lot of fun this episode, the mecha fights were weird and wonderful, Takeshi finishing most of his sentences with "I'm Takeshi" was also pretty funny.

Was gonna say how old school some of the humour seems in this show, but I guess that should be obvious as it's based on a 70's show. Tyzon made me laugh out loud, and I suspect Herzan the wrestler was a reference to a real wrestler too, but I wouldn't know who.

As RR points out, this is the first episode where they win almost without consequence, it gives us a little hope that not everything they do is futile, which I definitely feel was needed to come at some point if there's any hope for them ever succeeding in their plan.

14. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

01 -

There's a guy named Elephantus.

11/10

That was an enjoyable way to spend 20 minutes. The animation is crisp and fun to look at, and the characters are pretty much instantly likeable. The whole setting is quite outlandish, but it may just work with the fast pace and skillful mood transitions even if the premise isn't my cup of tea.

I'm not sure what else to say. The episode felt balanced in that it wasn't neither too heavy in its melodrama nor too careless in its use of comedic flair, and so it was enjoyable in both regards. It also left me wanting to see where the heck this whole ride is going next, so that's a good sign.

I should be caught up sooner rather than later. :pickleda:

15. randomredneck

Episode 6.
    Yeah! Screw the forehead flicking. Bring these robot motherfuckers down! WOO!

Also, Tsk guy died. That sucked.

16. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

I just watched the first three episodes.
    The first two episodes were a touch difficult for me to get through because I didn't really understand what the series was going for. I think what kept me going through those first two episodes was how classic everything felt from the humor to the character designs to the narrative itself. It's a classic set up for this type of story but with the twist that we're actually following the "villains" of the story. Now obviously all is not well in the Yatterman Kingdom as the Yatter Bots are tools of oppression to keep the people beaten down. I appreciate that the balance here with Leopard as the protagonist I don't want things to be too heavy as that would just break the poor girl. Instead things are dark, but at a level where her optimism can shine through allowing her to lead the way. She needs to grow up a bit before she can face the deeper truths behind this kingdom.

All of this is why the third episode was the one that turned me from this show is okay, to this is pretty enjoyable. Again there's that classic adventure feeling where we're following this group on their journey of discovery. We see the outside edges of the darkness of this kingdom, but we also see hope. Leopard meets new people and learns a little more about being a "hero" and she gets to develop a bit as a character as she realizes she wants more than just to give the Yatter's a flicking. She also has the desire to help others. Little incidents like these will give her the strength in the future to face the great darkness that's probably here.

I also though the third episode had the best combination of tone thus far. I did find some of the jokes to be genuinely funny, but I also never forgot the desperate situation these people are in. Even in a dystopia like this people find ways to live even if it is with delusions like the sister. I'm not sure how I feel about these two actually joining the group, but it fits with the theme of the episode and I think these two can help further develop Leopard as a character by making her understand what effects the Yatterbots have beyond the obvious.

So I'm tentatively liking this one. The first two episodes didn't quite do it for me but I thought in the third episode things started to come together a bit more and now I'm seeing the shape this story is going to take more clearly. It's nice and retro without feeling dated so far.

17. randomredneck

Episode 7.
    That was boring.

18. randomredneck

Episode 8.
    Doronjo veered on annoying that episode. Other than that, it was pretty good. Lot better than last week, anyway.

19. randomredneck

Episode 9.
    Not only was Gatchan awesome that episode, he saved the day in the frigging Mach 5. That is too cool.