Winter 2018 Anime Challenge discussion thread

Winter 2018 Anime Season Summary

Season anime viewed total

Yuru Camp; A Place further than the Universe; Citrus; Devilman: Crybaby; Idolish 7; Katana Maidens; Ms. Koizumi loves Ramen Noodles; Record of Grancrest War; Slow Start; Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san; Pop Team Epic

Anime finished

Yuru Camp; A Place Further than the Universe

Anime dropped

Citrus; Devilman: Crybaby; Idolish 7; Katana Maidens; Ms. Koizumi loves Ramen Noodles; Record of Grancrest War; Slow Start

Anime stalled

Pop Team Epic; Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san

Best anime of the season

Yuru Camp & A Place Further than the Universe

Worst anime of the season

Slow Start, for the worst transformation of Slice of Life into young schoolgirl ecchi;

Citrus, for exploitation and the least sensible plot I’ve seen in a long time;

Devilman: Crybaby, for repelling me with its mix of ugly violence, uncomfortable sexual imagery and general misanthropy

Summary

As my first current anime season, I had little expectations for this season. I tried 11 anime, from the gag anime Pop Team Epic to the soothing Yuru Camp to the exploitative Citrus. I dropped most of the anime early on, with Yuru Camp and Place as the best anime so far. The real surprise of the season was Slow Start, an anime I credit with the worst tone transformation of the last few years. A fluff slice of life turns into an exploitive male gaze anime about very young women in swimsuits talking about lesbianism. Most of the anime left me cold, with only Pop Team Epic and Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san as possible rewatches once I decide to watch them. I probably won’t try this much anime again, but this was a rewarding first season of anime.

The challenges are really cool but they really activate the part of my brain that wants to fill out lists/complete things. I've somehow managed to get 3 anime away from tier three, and even when Overlord II and the Chibi spinoff overlord are done I'll need one more. So, time to marathon Working Buddies, because its only 4 minutes an episode, its on crunchyroll and it ends the day before the deadline for this challenge.

Next season, I will be more prepared and just try more stuff.

The challenges are really cool but they really activate the part of my brain that wants to fill out lists/complete things. I've somehow managed to get 3 anime away from tier three, and even when Overlord II and the Chibi spinoff overlord are done I'll need one more. So, time to marathon Working Buddies, because its only 4 minutes an episode, its on crunchyroll and it ends the day before the deadline for this challenge.

Next season, I will be more prepared and just try more stuff.

I feel the same way. I'm watching more anime than I intended to this season just because I want to get as many in as possible before the challenge ends lol.

Ugh, so it looks like Overlord Season 2 ends on April 3rd, three days after the challenge ends. I guess I just set it to completed before the challenge ends, since I'm definitely going to watch the last episode? This is annoying.

I have managed to catch up to most of my winter shows, and I am up to date with the one 2 cour I have in there. I think I might be able to hold on for the last couple of days.

I've caught up with none of my shows. Going to rush 2 on the last day and finish up the almost-done ones gradually. Rush 3. Four tops.

So:
Finished with Yuru Camp and Place.
What do people recommend from this last season?

I picked up about 3 shows just to get to lvl 3 on the challenge. Shows I would've watched anyway, but that I probably wouldn't have watched in 5 days.

So challenges are working. I'm on track to go right past that 36 number for the year.

So:
Finished with Yuru Camp and Place.
What do people recommend from this last season?

On a serious note, after the rain, is the only one I can really recommend with the utmost confidence, despite any misgivings I have about it, not having an ending. I think it's a mistake to miss out on the most complex, and real characters of the season.

On a serious note, after the rain, is the only one I can really recommend with the utmost confidence, despite any misgivings I have about it, not having an ending. I think it's a mistake to miss out on the most complex, and real characters of the season.
Thanks! I'm sorry for all the pain you had this season.

I'm rounding out the season with 37 shows.

The Best:
1. A Place Further than the Universe
2. After the Rain
3. Laid-Back Camp
This was truly a season where relaxing slice of life rules.

The disappointing:
1. Basilisk Sequel- I'd look up the full title, but that would be more effort than the studio put into making this shit.
2. Kokkaku: Moment by Moment- Take a great concept then fuck it up completely with terrible humor, boring exposition and dumb characters
3. Itou Collection- I liked parts of this one, but Deen dropped the ball on story selection and art.

The bad:
1. Death March- This show is everything that's wrong with entertainment. A boring pile of low effort drivel that doesn't even try to do anything unique, interesting or well. There's no reason for shit like this to even exist.
2. 25-sai no Joshikousei- I watched it at the last second and it sucked exactly how you'd expect it to.
3. B: The Beginning- A couple thousands chimps on banging on keyboards for a couple of weeks could write a better script.

The meh:
1. Violet Evergarden
2. Cucks in the Franxx
3. Citrus

The show I watched at the last minute and unexpected loved for all of its weirdness and references:

gdgd men's party- This show was a damn hoot. The art and CG were about Poppee the Performer and most of the episodes were just improv comedy that didn't always hit, but when it did it was bizarre and funny. The show was packed with about as many references as Pop Team Epic.

Back