Why should I turn my ad blockers off for Anime-Planet?

You could try blocking that set of numbers, though that might not have any effect. It's possible that there is no way to block that specific ad without blocking all the google ads.

However, the ad itself might provide your answer. If you click that blue triangle in the upper right corner of the ads, you get some opt-out options, you could see if any of those work for you.

Meh. I'm trying to figure out a solution. If anyone could help me with my problem, I'd be delighted :)
:3

Also, lol @Drahken's signature. The banner is called "myanimepenis.jpg" xD

Well, if you go to the simgad link that you posted before, it brings up the vertical twilight banner, so blocking the number part of that will almost certainly block the verticle ad. Now you just need to find the number for the horizontal one. (You should be able to just right click the banner & choose "adblock image" or "adblock frame".)

Well, if you go to the simgad link that you posted before, it brings up the vertical twilight banner, so blocking the number part of that will almost certainly block the verticle ad. Now you just need to find the number for the horizontal one. (You should be able to just right click the banner & choose "adblock image" or "adblock frame".)

See, that's the thing. I have AdBlock disabled on A-P, so I can't right-click an image to block it. It'll only say "enable AdBlock on A-P?". I found the horizontal picture link too, but manually adding them doesn't do anything either :(

ads tend to be fleeting and temporary, so i'd personally just ask that the one ad is suffered through till it goes away. even 1 ad being blocked means less funding for the servers ^_^

See, that's the thing. I have AdBlock disabled on A-P, so I can't right-click an image to block it. It'll only say "enable AdBlock on A-P?". I found the horizontal picture link too, but manually adding them doesn't do anything either :(

Well, if you have adblock disabled on a-p, then nothing you do with it will have any effect. The only way around it would be to install some second ad blocking program, and use it only to block specific ads on sites that you've whitelisted in adblock. ...And honestly, that would almost certainly be more hassle than it's worth. Your best (and really, only) option is to just ignore it until it goes away.

I guess I'll go with your suggestions: ignoring it. Thanks for your inputs - I'm glad you felt like helping out.

:3

ads tend to be fleeting and temporary, so i'd personally just ask that the one ad is suffered through till it goes away. even 1 ad being blocked means less funding for the servers ^_^

What about invasive ads? Because the Romney ad is starting to get on my nerves.

romney_ad.jpg

It pops that out any time I accidentally mouse over the ad and have to close it. And I think it auto loads it the first time you land on the page. Not positive on the last part though.

I'm a derp and didn't even consider this. Turning off as writing this post.

If you run chrome, you can just mozy over to the stop sign and click on the 'easy create filter' checkmark. You can then select out elements one-by-one. I did this with a particularly obnoxious front page ad and have left everything else as is.

Last edited:
And that's the story of how I learned to add exceptions to Adblock Plus. I'd been meaning to make an exception for AP a while ago but completely forgot to, sorry about that.

As far as AP ads being non-intrusive: when I saw this thread I thought “oh yeah I'll whitelist it” so I clicked ABP and it was already whitelisted, and I hadn't noticed :-P so yeah.

Please explain what you mean by "ads"

When the player switches to another video - one with a commercial - there's no problem. Frankly the so called "ad blockers" don't even register it.

I often watch ads on this and other sites but still occasionally get the "turn off ad blocker software" notice. I can only surmise that the "ad" isn't just trying to to show me a commercial, it's trying to do something else, and I don't know what that is. So as long as I'm seeing commercials I figure I'm not blocking any legitimate ad revenue.

I don't care to have my facebook data scanned,
I don't care to have my cache loaded with persistent cookies
I don't care to be tracked
I don't care to have any interaction with my computer initiated by third parties

I don't mind watching commercials at all though, and the legitimate ones get through just fine,.

When the player switches to another video - one with a commercial - there's no problem. Frankly the so called "ad blockers" don't even register it.

I often watch ads on this and other sites but still get the "turn off ad blocker software" notice. I can only surmise that the "ad" isn't just trying to to show me a commercial, it's trying to do something else, and I don't know what that is. So as long as I'm seeing commercials I figure I'm not blocking any legitimate ad revenue.

I don't care to have any interaction with my computer initiated by third parties

I don't mind watching commercials at all though, and the legitimate ones get through just fine,.

I often watch ads on this and other sites but still get the "turn off ad blocker software" notice. I can only surmise that the "ad" isn't just trying to to show me a commercial, it's trying to do something else, and I don't know what that is. So as long as I'm seeing commercials I figure I'm not blocking any legitimate ad revenue.

You talking about hulu ads that go through ad blocker? those dont support the site at all, and are also part of the reason I refuse to use hulu. Adblocker blocks legit ads, the ones you see are the ones that are not totally legit.

Back