Why Are All The New Animes Coming Out So Bad

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by Mintymingi, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Mintymingi

Mintymingi Member

For the past few years, it feels as if animes just been repeating themselves, constantly releasing mostly isekai animes every season. I don’t know why I’m only mentioning this now, but here it is.
    Does anyone else agree with me that it feels like animes becoming repetitive and is mostly isekai now? I just checked all the anime coming out this season and it’s all isekai? And the non-isekai animes just look boring.

2. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Well-Known Member

The industry is always chasing the hot trends and it looks like isekai is here to stay. That being said, it's not all new anime and there have been definite bright spots. Just in the last year Odd Taxi and Ousama Ranking have both been well worth the watch.

If the new stuff isn't to your taste there's plenty of old shit out there too.

3. rekindled

rekindled Well-Known Member

In 2021 there were 644 anime (movies, web, tv, and ovas) of those 28 have an isekai tag. Let's give it a more broad tag with person in a strange world and drop isekai. Well that only bumps it to 35.

What I'm getting with this, is that isekai is without a doubt a trend, but it's also one that tends to be greatly exaggerated. In the mid 2000's this same conversation happened around moe and before that it happened with harem and on and on for every trend. People see what they want to see and often it's negative trends or one's they dislike that stick out and stay with them. So, no I don't really agree that 'most' anime are isekai and honestly I wouldn't even say too many are. What I would say is that I would like the anime industry to take more risks with original stories and adapt things that may not be as mainstream or that caters to otaku.

There are many reasons why that's difficult for them to do which is really beyond the scope of this post, but I can see how someone would feel that the types of stories told is repetitive. But like zetsubou said above, every season there are bright spots that set themselves apart.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  4. evilneko

evilneko Active Member

Just doing a quick check based on anilist but it looks like ~15% isekai for Winter 22. The season does look less interesting overall but I managed to find 8 shows which seemed worthy enough to at least try, alongside the sequels of things I already like.

Whether a show is an isekai or not only informs you of one aspect of the show. That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime and I've Been killing Slimes for 300 years and maxed out my level! are both isekais involving slimes but they have very different stories, and very different approaches to how they tell the story. Escaflowne is an isekai too and is hardly comparable to either of those.

Well, maybe if I end up dropping more than usual I'll have time to go back and watch these Ousama Ranking and Oddtaxi things everyone seems to like...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  5. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

- Genre doesn't dictate quality, even if the genre is oversaturated.
    - More anime is being made every year than at any other time in history, which means the number of bad anime also grows numerically.
    - You're getting older, and the more you're exposed to stuff the harder it gets to find something that gives a wow factor. Lots of series you currently find mediocre or even bad probably would have seemed pretty good if they were the first anime you ever saw.

6. UniversalParanoia1

UniversalParanoia1 Well-Known Member

There’s good anime coming out still, you just gotta know what to look for!

Franconator and Vega like this.
  7. niotabunny

niotabunny Well-Known Member

what's popular in said location is what going to be rolling out. if you find that you're losing interest find another/new genre. I rather like isekai/reverse but there are other things out there that isn't based on another world idea. and there are animations that roll out of other countries as well such as China and S Korea, upon which some can be watched here. since they can sometimes be subbed/dubbed over to Japanese/America, unless one is aware, they might not even know they are from outside of Japan.

8. Sajonji

Sajonji Well-Known Member

Posted by Sajonji on Jan 3, 2022
    i can definitely agree to that while telling the 5 years past-me what a shit taste he had thinking Dimension W was a great show.

9. BrainBlow

Though a mistake many make is to discard stuff as "childish". The loss of wow factor often comes from external pressures and can make one discard entire genres on what are entirely arbitrary grounds. Many people needlessly rob themselves of stuff they'd enjoy.

NeaRetrogamer and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  10. evilneko

evilneko Active Member

Troof.

I pretty much ignored the Mahou Shoujo genre for the longest time. I rejected Heartcatch Pretty Cure initially. And look at me now. Heartcatch is the second best in the entire franchise, topped only by Hugtto. Thing Heartcatch is girly? How girly is it to infiltrate your enemy's base by killing their mooks, skinning them, and wearing their skins to sneak in?

Of course, tastes change in the other direction too. I rated Burn Up! (and its sequels! What was I thinking?) 4 stars based on watching it decades ago. I don't think I'd tolerate it now. I even own the VHS of Burn Up! and pretty sure I have W somewhere...

11. Franconator

Franconator Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's definitely a factor. The thing that comes to my mind right now is Jujutsu Kaisen. It's nothing new and it's a true shonen story to its core. But it still felt fresh to me when it came out because it went all-in on its tropes.

Also agree with everyone else when it comes to trends. It just so happens isekai's at the forefront now, but I do remember a time when it was battle shonen all over. The only reason why it looks remotely better then compared to now's because of all the nostalgia attached to it.

Plus, with streaming culture becoming more and more of a norm now, I'd think getting any show out there would matter more to producers so long as it meets all the requirements for a surefire hit. So you get more and more of the tropey, conventional things even if there are a few hidden gems getting released, too. Think of it like Netflix. They've got a reputation now as a quantity over quality machine, but there are some legitimately good series/movies there if you know where to look.

BrainBlow, Gens and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  12. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Jan 3, 2022
    I always think back on movies, there's a lot of this le generation arguments about things getting worse, but when you think about a lot of critically acclaimed movies, many of them didn't even get good reception or it was rather mixed at first when they came out. Only for them later to get recognized as classics. We always end up re-evaluating shit.

13. crowwolf

crowwolf Well-Known Member

i know what you mean and how you feel. its hard to beat classics, and when you think about how good a show is all the time that you only watched once its hard to not feel a little nostalgia. sometimes i wish i could watch a show for my first time again.

14. GlennMagusHarvey

GlennMagusHarvey Well-Known Member

As others have pointed out, isekai is certainly a current fad, but is definitely nowhere near the majority of what gets released. That said, perhaps they may stick out more to you because of either or both of these reasons:
    * It's often easier to notice things one doesn't like. Or...
    * Isekai series may make up a greater portion of the subset of shows you're interested in. This depends on what you're into. I am not very familiar with the sorts of things you've watched (based on your list) so I don't really have a good sense of what your taste is like, though what I do recognize doesn't seem much like isekai, largely.

I am a little surprised you have a high opinion of SAO but a low opinion of isekai, since I'd have expected those to have similar appeal. (There's nothing wrong with this, of course -- I definitely do not mean to guilt you over your opinion of SAO, and frankly speaking I dislike the "hatedom" that rags on SAO.)

I don't know to what extent you mean your comment about repetitiveness to apply to things outside of isekai. Could you elaborate on that? Or is it just that you find the isekai series to be largely similar to each other?

Meanwhile though I do agree with this take:
    I haven't watched many isekai series, and I've watched none of the three mentioned here, but I think the criticism of shows being similar is often overblown.

It's true that many series share similar premises. But I think that's often where the similarity ends. While I haven't watched isekai, I have watched like five different magical battle school harem shows, and they all produced different narrative experiences for me. And furthermore, given that I did end up watching all these, it became interesting to see the many ways they differed, despite their similar setups. For example, they had different degrees to which there was one primary couple vs. a harem of equals. And the underlying plot structure behind the premise was often very different. Some had tournament structures where major characters fought each other (in various formats), while others focused on combat against a common enemy. Some of them involved political intrigue. The ways they fought also varied; some fought in teams while others fought alone. One of them even involved mecha combat. And finally, their portrayals differed, often lending them different atmospheres. A couple have more poetic EDs seeming to show off the thoughts of some of the characters, while others had more standard pop/rock EDs showing off the characters.

And I certainly don't remember them the same. Some of them I found to be more enjoyable and/or memorable than others. Even when the shows had similar characters, their roles played out differently and I have different opinions of them.

This is...kinda depressing, if you think about it.

Though I think it can help to try to see each series as an individual story, to be understood on its own, rather than as a thing to be understood through the metacontextual lens of other things one's watched.

Nicknames likes this.
  15. AnnaSartin

AnnaSartin Forum Moderator Database Moderator

So my take on this...

Yes, we are getting plenty of isekai and other "person in a strange world" shows every season. That's the norm with trendy stuff, like moe before it. But I think the problem isn't the amount of isekai shows being produced, it's your viewpoint. As others have pointed out, there are a LOT of non-isekai shows being made, but you say everything looks boring. I don't think this is an unavoidable part of aging as a fan, because I've been one for 36 years and I watched over 60 shows last year. Yes, some were isekai (season 2 of Faraway Paladin soon please, Japan) but most were not. To Your Eternity was a great non-isekai fantasy. Taisho Otome Fairy Tale was a sweet romance. Click Link was an excellent, well-written donghua that I recommend everyone try if they haven't given Chinese animation a shot yet. Amusing comedies like Way of the Househusband, The Vampire Dies In No Time, and Life Lessons With Uramichi Oniisan were sprinkled throughout 2021. Historical productions ranged from political dramas like The Heike Story to the battle-heavy middle-eastern co-production The Journey. Magical girls like Madoka, Sailor Moon, and Yuuki Yuuna all got new anime last year. Long-running shounen series haven't gone anywhere, either. There are so many different genres to choose from, and I think you need to re-assess what it is about anime that you enjoy and start trying new things. Yes, you'll find some duds, and some things you don't expect to be good may turn out to become a new favorite. The much-anticipated season 2 of The Promised Neverland was a disaster-fuck that fans wish had never happened, while Odd Taxi was a hit nobody saw coming. Go figure.

The long and the short of it is this: If you want to find treasure, you have to look. It's out there, but like with every kind of media you usually have to wade through a lot of trash first.

16. BrainBlow

This is pretty important to note. Some genres get treated as bad because, well, trends attract trend chasers whose mission statement is simply to make as much money on as little effort as possible, which in turn means a lot of the tropes get scorned without the tropes being inherently bad.
    Something going all in on polish can be extremely refreshing, which I believe is at the core of many "retro" properties gaining modern popularity with remakes/modern adaptations that simply double down on it. Heck, Araki never really supported any JJBA anime adaptations until the 2012 adaptation could prove that it really got it. And to be fair, this is probably because JJBA couldn't be fully adapted into a TV series on a TV budget until 2012 while remaining loyal to the style. The technology just wasn't really there before that, and I'm sure that's probably part of why some properties that never got anime decades ago suddenly get them now.

Nicknames, Franconator and Gens like this.