Who here listens to Japanese music (or any Asian music) and what do you recommend?

Seems like we have similar taste in music. :drinking:

Hell yeah. I listen to just about everything, no bad genres, regardless of language so yeah. Sadly, my external hdd is busted so I can't just get into my music (I'm in the process of transferring my stuff over to another drive....well not in the process I'm lazy) so I can't just pull open my folder and be like bwamo here ya go. If you're a last.fm stan like I am I'm over there at the same name https://www.last.fm/user/femcore

But, also, check out 385. Just remembered them. Also for the more weird abstract-y kind of style, like in a Bjork sort of sense, check out Kahimi Karie. People are really big into her album K.K.K.K.K. but I really like her later stuff like It's Here and Nunki.

My fav overall Japanese artist is Tsuki(ko) Amano and my fav song of her's is Bodaiju.

She sounds about as good live as she does studio, sometimes even better than studio........she's actually talented.

But I like too many artists/bands to list really. I might sit and write a bunch down at some point or another. If we're talking about anime-related songs, that's a whole other list. lol

i recommend loona! they have a unique concept and storyline, + they just had a comeback today called "butterfly".

I am very excited to see some of my favourites from oldies to newer greats. Some of my all time unmentioned favourites are:
Emi Meyer, Seiichi Nagai, Motoki Yamaguchi.
Glim Spanky.
Drop's.
Wednesday Capanella.
Radwimps - pre Your Name.
Eve.
Fujifabric.
flumpool.

I have heaps more but I listen to these bands/artists quite a bit. I am glad to see so many others here who love Asian music.

So, this dates me, but this has always been one of my all time favorite j-jams. I 100% do not fucks with Visual Kei, but for whatever reason, I've always loved this song. The chorus is haunting and beautiful.

Kagrra - Shizuku

This one is from a band I wrote about in my last posting, The Oral Cigarettes. They've gotten a few OP slots, but I think I love this music video as much as the song itself. Absolutely ridiculous and fun.

The Oral Cigarettes - Hey Kids!

This last one is a bit of an obscure OP (from a series called Mushibugyo? Never heard of it.) but it's called Denshin Unchained by FREE, and the beat is fast and fun.

FREE - Denshin Unchained

Last edited by a moderator:
So, this dates me, but this has always been one of my all time favorite j-jams. I 100% do not fucks with Visual Kei, but for whatever reason, I've always loved this song. The chorus is haunting and beautiful.

Hmm i kinda enjoy Visual Kei, Gackt and An Cafe are one of my favourites. Anyways Hey Kids is from Noragami if i remember correctly, it's an awesome song, like the other choices also.

I keep a playlist of favorite anime ops and eds, but don't generally wind up liking the bands'/composers other work.

Notable exceptions:
Yuki Kajiura- favorite osts are Pandora Hearts, Noir, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and .hack//sign, also, I like her work with FictionJunction
Toshio Masuda- the Mushishi, Naruto and Ghost Hunt osts are magical
Susumu Hirasawa- Satoshi Kon film osts, esp. Paprika & Berserk osts, Planet Roll Call album, etc.
Angela- their songs for Spiral, Fafner & Knights of Sidonia are epic
Joe Hisaishi- any Miyazaki film ost, esp Princess Mononoke & Howl's Moving Castle
Origa- Ghost in the Shell songs, various album stuff

I used to really like Ayumi Hamasaki and have quite a few of her albums. Not as into her music anymore.

Back