Who here listens to Japanese music (or any Asian music) and what do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Weigel21, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Weigel21

Weigel21 New Member

I have come to really like many of the songs I've heard in various Anime, be it OP, ED or insert songs.

Some of the Artists I've come to like are Utada, BOA, Ayumi Hamasaki, Ceui, Holy Shine, SawanoHiroyuki[nZk], Amier, Mizuki, Olivia Lufkin, RSP, SCANDAL, Milky Bunny, Supercell, Tommy Heavenly6/Tommy february6, YUI, and the list goes on. Then there are singles I've heard that I've really liked from groups that didn't really exist long, for instance, Blue Field by Trident from Aoki Hagane no Arupejio.

Anyways, I'm curios as to who else has come to love japanese (or any Asian) music and what groups or songs they really recommend.

Thanks!

2. Geita

Geita New Member

Posted by Geita on Oct 17, 2017
    I love japanese music but even more japanese heavy metal, Maximum the hormone and Dir en Grey is my top :love: Gazette was one of my favorites too, but it isnt my taste anymore but the members are cute tho :love:

howtoprocrastinate likes this.
  3. Weigel21

Weigel21 New Member

Maximum the Hormone has some good music, haven't heard of the other two. I tend to "prefer" the more upbeat songs, often with female vocalists. I don't know why exactly, maybe it's cause I find their voices more soothing and relaxing to hear.

4. Shiira

Shiira Well-Known Member

Posted by Shiira on Oct 17, 2017
    Favorite Japanese anime song has to be Unravel from Tokyo Ghoul sung by Ling Tosite Sigure. Second has to Fairy Tail's OP called Snow Fairy by Funkist. Love the songs from the artist REOL.
    Does Japanese EDM count? If so, I recommend Yunomi, Aiobahn, Ujico/Snail's House, Moe Shop, Toriena, and Tomggg. It's some J-Pop and EDM and I love the way the songs sound so "kawaii". There is a lot more great artists, but too many to list on here. Comment my profile if you want to find out more.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  5. Weigel21

Weigel21 New Member

I like Unravel, but really loved the version sung by Isis Vasconcellos on Youtube. She has a beautiful voice and looks awesome cosplaying as Touka. Fairytale had some really good songs. Off the top of my heard, BoA's Masayume Chasing and ShaNa's Lonely Person are quite good (though completely different, given one is so upbeat and the other is so sad).

Japanese EDM counts. I think Glitter from Another Infinity used as an ending on Fairy Tail would be EDM, right? Don't fully know my music genres.

6. Drahken

Drahken Cross-eyed Cyclops

A j-music thread where babymetal hasn't been mentioned?! I MUST correct this!
    Kamen rider girls is also an excellent group.
    Then of course there's the classic morning musume and it's many spinoff groups.

7. Weigel21

Weigel21 New Member

Not much of a metal fan, but Babymetal really isn't metal once the girls start singing, lol. They do have a few songs I've liked. However, for some reason, I feel kinda weird listening to them, knowing they were so young. Much of the music I listen to may sound like 12yo girls singing (just like babymetal), but I know they aren't/weren't, so I don't feel so pervy. Feels like I'm listening to kidz bop when I hear most anything from babymetal. I mean they started when they were 11/12 after all, right. Still, I'll admit, karate is probably my favorite song of theirs.

8. reyshoujo

reyshoujo New Member

I love Vocaloid! I'd really recommend this more traditional version of Senbonzakura that also has a really lovely dance that goes with it :balloon:

9. annabelle

annabelle New Member

japanese wise i'd say try babymetal but more on the kpop wave over here ~

10. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Nujabes is awesome and I recommend all his albums (it's mostly trip hop but also features some Japanese artists like Shing02 or Uyama Hiroto). SPYAIR is pretty cool too, even though I primarily associate their music with Haikyuu!! and Gintama. Same with GRANRODEO, which did most of the Kuroko OP songs.

11. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Nov 13, 2017
    I honestly think Japan, has an absolutely awesome underground music scene. I know a lot of people associate it usually with animu music, but I've really enjoyed some noise psych punk bands for example like High Rise, and Mainliner. I also enjoy Jun Togawa a lot, and her very eccentric vocal style. I wouldn't recommend this stuff to just anyone I know though.

I definitely 2nd Nujabes though for maximum chill, and honestly, I first heard of the guy from Samurai Champloo, which still has one of the most sublime soundtracks I've ever heard in an anime. And I'd absolutely advocate anyone, to check out Sheena Ringo's discography too, which is really pretty diverse, and fun to listen to.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted by Guest on Nov 14, 2017

Not mentioning World Order. For shame. Lead singer is an MMA fighter turned air humping techno-pop singer. And they have freaking amazing videos.

13. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Nov 14, 2017
    3 albums for everyone to check out...

Fishmans - Long Season
    Tokyo Shoegazer - Crystallize
    Asobi Seksu - Citrus

Honestly, if you're into shoegaze and dream pop, then Japan are pretty much the only country that make anything remotely innovative or relevant in the genre any more.

14. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

Boris and Gallhammer for me. It's not something that I put on my daily rotation, though, nor do I keep up with their releases.

15. HikikoKat

HikikoKat Database Moderator

Another Babymetal fan here. :balloon:

Also, no one's mentioned Doll$Boxx yet. I like them as well.

16. YugiMoto

YugiMoto Active Member

I am really love to listen to anime opening and ending with full version and amv full version only.
    Just not very much i listener to there becuase it takes my time i postpond to next years **.
    my favourite artist is skillet and three days grass with some black eyes peas .

17. CrowWolf

CrowWolf Well-Known Member

:drink:

18. kellyon

kellyon Active Member

Idol Pop (both Perfume and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu are produced by the same guy, Nakata, it's worth checking out more of what he produced aside from what's listed here:
    Seiko Oomori warning, she is crazy
    Kyary Pamyu Pamyu also crazy but less so thank seiko oomori. more like psycho oomori am i right?
    Perfume the best one
    Also Les Rallizes Dénudés turn yr headphones softer

19. Sykes

Sykes Active Member

Posted by Sykes on Jan 10, 2018
    I'm gonna change the game here for a second; if you're reading this, you need to check out this.

Mirror - Recollection

20. xCanaxCherry

xCanaxCherry Active Member

Utaites are the best. I sometimes have a hard time listening to vocaloid because of the robot voices, but discovering utaite solved all my problems. The best of the best include Mafumafu, Reol, Hanatan, 96neko, and Guriri.

Honeyworks has a lot of songs with really good MVs too.

For non-utaites there's Flower, though I haven't had the chance to listen to a lot of their discography because jpop is banned in my country.