Whisper of the Heart

valondar

[sadht]Whisper of the Heart[/sadht][sadhl=235]whisper-of-the-heart[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Well the plot was a little too dependent on some massive conveinences for my taste, and it also meandered perhaps too much in its ardent wish to smell the roses, the culminative effect of this film was rather wonderful. I never thought I would be moved by a rendition of Country Road, and the whole thing reminded me so often of my own childhood that it frequently became quite touching. I'm also always a sucker for films with a musical component, as my love for The Piano Forest and Yousei Florence sort of show, though it is less here than there - nonetheless a film with young children yearning to be creative instantly earns my warm recall.

All-in-all a typically solid slice-of-life film from Studio Ghibli. Personally I don't think it has quite the emotional punch of Ocean Waves, but make no mistake I found this charming and beautiful and so far bested only by Planetes among the things I have watched in this wasting weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
i loved the very end with them sitting there at the sunset and he asks her to marry him when they get older. (i can't remember exactly what is said here) but it made my heart melt and that's kinda hard to do with me LOL

That moment is indeed wonderful, but my favourite part is where he plays Country Road with her and then the old people join in. Think of that - being moved by a rendition of Country Road. Me!

The use of this piece as a leitmotif throughout the movie was quite lovely too.

gotta say i loved that part too valondar. I think i'd have to sit through it again to find you a part i didn't like lol

seeing the cat returns before watching this made me love it even more because of the cat. it has nothing to do with anything but I'm sure people feel like that when they see clamp characters in other clamp works.

^
Oh I'm planning to see The Cat Returns soon. Maybe even this weekend if I have time left over.

oh go for it it's a lovely watch. don't expect to be blown away or anything though. just sit back turn your brain off and enjoy a cat world :D

I think this was the movie that also had KiKi in the background in her room... :3 I love all these movies. I own the majority of them! WOTH is definately one of my favorites though. ^_~

I am dusting of this old thread here. :)
Stumbled upon this gem today and watched it against better judgement (it's 4 a clock in the morning now...) :@_@:
But it was well worth it! I now sit here with a happy smile on my face and just feel good all over. A typical Ghibli-movie which touch your heart at the exact right places. A lovely slice of life story that invited your imagination to participate and send you of in several different directions.
I would really like to know where the cat-lady is and if she and the Baron ever will be united.

I really liked the cat who was taking his rounds in the neighborhood by train. :D

This DVD will soon be added to my anime collection on the shelf.

Now of to bed... with a happy smile.

Aye, it is an odd gem is it not?

I hope you check out Cat Returns then.
Anyhow, get some sleep!

So this reminded me of the Cat Returns theme song, and I have been listening to it for the last 15min, lol. Anyway, yeah, the Cat Returns is a pretty nice movie, definitely worth checking out. Liked Whisper of the Heart better though.

I thought it was a charming and innocent romantic slice-of-life. The Baron is so intriguing, I just can't wait to watch The Cat Returns. A feel-good movie without being overblown.

Back