When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Naga, Sep 29, 2014.

1. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Re: Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de

Episode 2:

I'm in agreement with BB and Etue,
    this episode did a lot with a generic set up, but what's the point? Even if better executed this could have been an episode in any rom-com or harem type of show. It doesn't take advantage of the set up at all which ended up making the episode feel bizarre.

I don't have to ton to say about anything specifically. I think the majority of the episode worked because the chick was so over the top and aggressive with her misunderstanding that I ended up chuckling along with it rather than being annoyed. They ruined it a bit with the cheesy and sappy ending, but it wasn't so bad that it left a sour taste in my mouth because the rest of the episode had enough humor to keep me amused or at least not bored.

I also liked the bit at the start when they were coming up with super hero names and I was hoping for more of this type of humor when the episode took the weird turn to rom-com land.

I'm in the position of not hating this episode but also being disappointed because this is a complete waste of the premise. I'm not even sure what the series is trying to be right now. If it keeps going like this I fear it's going to get annoying though.

2. Damias

Damias Database Moderator

Episode 2
    I actually like this episode more than the first one. Every detail in movement to convey the situation was visually pleasing. The pacing and timing of the jokes, the laughs was excellent and Kudou's obliviousness and over-the-top performance was so charming and funny.

I do get where you guys were going with how this episode in particular deviates from the actual plot but it didn't bother me that much seeing how this episode was just all sorts of fun. This is likely going to be my most favorite anime of the season. And I'm with Brad, Hatoko is too lovely. It must be the voice actor or her character in general. Its so :love:
    Actually, I'm like that with all the characters so far, they're just so awesome.

Trigger, you did it again.
    [​IMG]

As for a sidenote which I should had mentioned last week, did anyone else notice another reference to Trigger in the OP. I see Inferno Cop. :flip:

3. Aylia

Aylia Well-Known Member

Posted by Aylia on Oct 14, 2014

Funnier than the first episode. I was wary of the pilot because it didn't feel very sure of itself, but this assured me that it's set up nicely as a good comedy show. And I'm pleased to see that Andou isn't the typical air-headed doofus common to these types of shows.

He displays some genuine introspective and rationale. His admission of his mistakes was a good step for him - I instantly liked him more for being that courageous to admit that he's created a misunderstanding even though he knows he's going to hurt someone in doing it. It also helped that he felt guilt from it and didn't try to brush it off lightly.

4. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Oct 15, 2014

Episode 2

I feel I'm sitting somewhere between ZK and Brad's opinions
    It did feel like quite a generic highschool comedy episode, which the pilot had showed that it kind of wouldn't be, and it had it's moments that made me chuckle, like Mirei's over the top reaction to the misunderstanding, but christ I'm tired of misunderstanding based comedy.

The last email was a nice way to end even if the scene on the stairs was a bit too sappy for me. I don't really understand what Andou's problem was with Mirei in the first place, unless they'll go standard route and have him be in love with Tomoyo, which I guess is incredibly likely.

The lack of powers in this episode was quite saddening too. But on the positive side, it had some great visual parts in it again, it almost feels like Trigger is self aware that this isn't the type of show they really want to make, but they'll get in all the good stuff they can, even if it is just a visual, these 2 screenshots look straight out of Gainax's Re: Cutie Honey adaption
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So all in, a mixed bag. I didn't hate it, and it didn't totally bore me either. It had some nice parts too, it was just a little meh.

5. Ailly

Ailly Well-Known Member

Posted by Ailly on Oct 15, 2014

Episode 2

The character interactions are lovely and the comedy is spot-on most of the time, thanks to the animation/directing. Jurai's chuunibyou makes me cringe so bad, but luckily it isn't played up too intensely. It's kind of disappointing that they didn't do anything with their powers this episode, but it looks like we'll be getting plenty of that in the next one.

6. tootalls

tootalls Well-Known Member

Ep 2

don't know about everybody else...............well, yeah I do with the comments and shit BUT!!!!!

I freaking loved this episode. The comedy was 100% hit for me in this world were most anime comedy just flies right over my head.

As for lack of power use, It didn't bother me at all......and the segment were the power was used was hilarious. Basically, I hated everything about chuunibyou except for my beloved Dekomori DIS!. And I'd have to admit that the imaginary magic in it looks far better on an animation scale than what this show has proven capable of. Even so, I never cared for it because it never had any real purpose to it. And in this show, it's the same, the powers are for real but any exposition of it would just be there for the sake of it so weather it happens or not doesn't matter to me as long as the comedy holds up I'll be happy however they plan to do handle the comedy.

Oh, just wanna point out that chifuyu is facking adorable.

The sappy mood killer at the end was the only low point.

7. Firelord

Firelord New Member

The show is going in a direction I suspected from the get-go, and I'm liking it so far.

it was to be expected that all the girls have a crush on July/Jurai, and Tomoyo may have the biggest one of all; her tsundere act makes it even more obvious.

I am pleased with how well he diffused the whole misunderstanding. Sure, Mirei got hurt by it, but I think it would have hurt her more if he just went along with it, and that she eventually found out he didn't like her after all. At least now, they can still be friends and she can look for a guy who will love her.

I liked how all the girls of the Literature Club had their own way of dealing with their jealousy, from Tomoyo's tsun, to Hatoko's failure to ignore him. And Chifuyu acting all "He;s mine, you can't have him" was friggin' adorable.
    So yeah, lovely episode.

8. ZetsubouKaiji

Episode 3:

They should just rename this When Supernatural Powers Became Common But We Rarely use them. Instead we get another episode that doesn't do anything with the premise but also didn't have the focus of the last episode. Instead we get an episode that kind of meanders around with only a little comedy and very little of anything going on.

Given the brother's disposition he definitely doesn't seem like a villain, but it does seem that he might still know something about the source of the powers gained by the club. His interactions with Andou were kind of amusing but nothing laugh out loud funny like last episode.

The talk all the girls had about Andou was borderline cheesy but I think they were aware enough to make it seem at least a little endearing as they understand his flaws quite well.

So really not a whole lot to this episode and I'm not sure where it is going to go from here.

9. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

Episode 3:

I don't think this anime is bad in any way, but it does leave me feeling rather cold after watching it. I couldn't bring myself to care about anything that happened while watching, and I am struggling to even remember any particular events, and I finished the episode less than 45 minutes ago. I guess the "he watches anime based on the VAs" had me smirking, but that's about it.

10. ZetsubouKaiji

The show is completely lacking in any kind of substance and with them all but ignoring the premise there is very little to hold the episodes together. The third episode in particular just seemed to meander around with no real point to it other than to maybe introduce a character that may or may not be important later.

The show seems to just wander around not sure what its identity is supposed to be. Some of the individual jokes or scenarios are okay, but as a whole it is pretty lacking and there's nothing to really grasp on to while watching so it all becomes unmemorable mush, even if it isn't particularly bad mush.

11. tootalls

ep 3

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

talk about major drop off from the funniest shit I've seen in a while.

12. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Oct 22, 2014

Episode 3

What happened to the promise of that first episode? This was pretty dull, even in comparison to last week. The whole joke around that other chuuni guy as he showed just how edgy he was fell very flat for me, in fact it made me cringe quite a bit, was that what they were going for? It went on for far too long anyway.

No Mirei this week either, and she has been the best thing about this show for me so far.
    I don't have much else to say really, I was just left incredibly underwhelmed by this episode.

13. Etue

Etue Well-Known Member

Posted by Etue on Oct 22, 2014

What was it, again? You are part of our group? Your nickname connects you to us, you are not alone?

Next day, completely leave her to her own devices...

14. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Oct 22, 2014

She features in the ED just as much as all the other girls too, except for Tomoyo at least...

15. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Oct 29, 2014

Episode 4

Yay, an episode focusing on the most dull of all the characters. Loads of hilarious lolicon jokes that had me rolling my eyes

I don't get this show, it has no clue what it wants to be at all, is it a super powers based comedy, where the comedy usually comes from the fact that they're just living normal lives with no real use for their powers? Or is it just a silly highschool psuedo-harem comedy where the super powers are brought up as an afterthought? So far it seems much more like the latter, and it's pretty dull.

However, there are still some nice uses of the artstyle, it just feels like they're being wasted in something so boring. I really hope this starts going somewhere, anywhere, soon.

16. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

Episode 4:

That was pretty dull. It started with a pretty meh cosplay segment, and then it devolved into some elementary school drama. I feel like I shouldn't fault them for attempting emotional drama, but it just felt too damn sappy and silly for it to be engaging for me. The jokes were pretty much crap as well. Oh, he is just in his underwear? A person in a state of undress is the most funny thing there is! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! He creeped her out by saying he's a lolicon! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This show has just been treading water, and I'm pretty sick of it.

17. Etue

Etue Well-Known Member

Posted by Etue on Oct 29, 2014

Pretty much, It leaves much to be desired in the comedy department. It's not that the jokes are bad but there are few and almost all of them are recycled jokes we've seen a version of in other anime with little to no twist.

The lolicon jokes are typical and classless which isn't to say they aren't funny after the initial joke in some cases but they are most certainly uncomfortable I'd say three quarters of the time. The drama was resolved quickly and effectively but that doesn't mean that the execution was exactly marvellous to begin with. Actually, the concept behind this episode just wasn't all that great to begin with, it's material for parody more so than straight adaptation and if parody was intended the scenes were simply too long. Underwear joke was misplaced and simply not funny. The initial lolicon joke was painful and the follow-up on it barely erased it from my mind.

I just find this anime painfully average with a lot of mediocrity at times and with only a few shining moments which aren't top class crème de la crème to begin with. So far I only really liked the second episode the rest leave me just with ''eh, meh''.

18. FireWalker

FireWalker Active Member

ep 4 - agreeing with above, the show is wasting any potential of its premise and spoiling the occasional humor with dollops of creepy.
    The *only* use of super-powers in this ep was Chifuyu first took a shortcut home to remind us, then dropped Andou in his skivvies at her place to embarrass her friend Kuki. Hardly plot-relevant. And if they're sticking to feel-good, I would much rather Andou had given Kuki a serious reassurance that the HS club liked Chifuyu but never would stand between her and her school friends than to make up that unfunny and likely to backfire lolicon story.

There was a cute moment when Tomoyo wound up modeling the bikini armor she had wished for, and teetering between humiliation and daring gets a nice compliment from Andou ... but right away that was erased by the horrible loli-bondage image.
    Sinking in the polls ....

19. tootalls

ep 2 was great because of the comedy surrounding the Mirei,

everything else is poor.

thus this show reminds me of Gekkan shoujo from last season were Seo was a pure stitch for me and most other jokes didn't tickle me.

Other than the sparring in the 1st episode, the powers have brome and after thought. Since then they have used it to cosplay and play tennis.............Things any school show could have pulled off without a magic premise.

And they also leave you hanging on seeing the powers used in cases such as.................

Everyone is in their underwear and the teacher walks in, they're dressed and used a quick hint that the red head stopped time and dressed everyone, now that would have been fun to actually see.

Well, just bring on some more Mirei please.