When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Naga, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Naga

Naga Well-Known Member

Posted by Naga on Sep 29, 2014
    Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

2. Etue

Etue Well-Known Member

Posted by Etue on Oct 6, 2014
    Re: Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de

[​IMG]

Episode 1

That was... how do I put it. Well I guess one could call this ''okay''. The setup for the general plot is placed within this episode and it sticking out like a sour-thumb wasn't treated like a thing, in fact it's supposedly comedy or rather it's intentionally obvious with it's self-parody aspect. That said, the writing was just ridiculous while still being quite stale at the same time which in terms of pacing meant the anime felt rather slow but at the same time it kept the parody going, a blatant Kill la Kill reference being made with the gloves as well. Overall in terms of plot layout and comedy I won't give this a high rating as it stands now, It's very lukewarm in terms of comedy while the story is focussed on being parody-ish.

However, I generally liked the girls designs, they stand out from each other and their art-style is as un-offensive as it gets with little removal from what one could call a anime standard. The voice actors also seemed really into delivering some of the lines with great success, mostly the more obvious ones of course which might make for the genuinely amusing moments in this episode. The male lead is not that amazing though perhaps not the least original his personality without his quirk so far isn't that impressive to say the least.

In the end I will keep watching, I do enjoy an anime that just shouts that it's going to be fun and actually seems to have potential on delivering on that message even if the first episode is not truly as entertaining as one would like, it still entertained and the anime does actually seem like something that would produce a fun to watch experience.

3. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

It seemed like the episode was getting at she could feel her power activating but nothing was happening because there was no one around for her to steal power from. She wasn't able to put everything together until she got that text message explaining it to her. Before that she just knew something weird had happened to her because of the sensation she was getting as she was probably unconsciously activating her power.

Although. I guess more will be revealed about the powers later as they are all being manipulated for some reason.

Anyway that aside I really enjoyed this episode even if I'm still not quite sold on the show.
    I thought the comedy was well written and the parody aspects with great other than the hamfisted Kill la Kill reference. We know it's you Trigger geez.

For me it was Andou that stole the first episode, I think he left a stronger impression on me than any of the girls and he was hilarious. I love that his power is so pathetic and I actually hope that it doesn't ever become useful because that would be quite the cliche and so far this show seems to be very self aware when it comes to the cliches. Plus it's just funny how his 8th grade syndrome keeps going strong even after real superpowers are brought into the mix. I love that he outed student council girl through his stupidity.

I think that's why the girls don't leave as much of an impression this episode. I think they are all starting out as pretty archetypical so the show can parody their personalities later. The president is especially bland though and her power seems quite lame, but could also be very powerful in the right circumstances. The other girls all got much more visually impressive powers which I think leaves much more of a mark than their personalities. I didn't dislike any of them though and I felt their chemistry with Andou and his 8th grade syndrome was great.

I also like the way the council member was defeated in the end. It was a great moment of parody with the girls using some common sense rather than typical shounen action type of thinking. Plus, it's just funny to see her growing disbelief as she sees just how useless Andou's power is.

From here I think the show could go in several directions which is why I am not quite sold on the overall series just yet. This episode would suggest that they are either going to do a straight up parody of school superpower types of shows which judging by this episode would be fucking hilarious. The other thing I thought about this episode is they could do a deconstruction of this genre, which might be even more interesting while being really funny at the same time and I hope this is what the show does. For a deconstruction it would make sense the girls are the basic archetypes here at the start. Pretty much I hope the show is a parody/deconstruction kind of thing.

However, the other route it could go is to just become a typical high school superpower anime that's just slightly self-aware which would suck.I do think the show could go this route with the villain being introduced at the end and if Andou's power does turn out to have some use down the road. I really, really hope this doesn't happen and there's no way to tell until I see more.

However, my worries aside this was a great twenty minutes of anime. The writing was sharp, the pace was quick, the comedy was funny and the action looked pretty damn good. The show might look conventional by Trigger standards, but there are definitely some moments that you can see this was done by Trigger and I don't mean the Kill la Kill reference, there are some other frames and animations here that do just give the Trigger flair, usually in the reaction shots.

From this set up the anime could be great. It's certain a great episode, I just hope it doesn't head down the most obvious route which would be kind of sad after such a fantastic first episode.

So yeah, I went into this with low expectations and came out pleased.

4. Damias

Damias Database Moderator

Posted by Damias on Oct 6, 2014

Episode 1
    I actually was hyped as fuck for this mostly because its Trigger doing this. Anything Trigger does, I will watch. The episode itself was all kinds of fun and a lot to like from just 1 episode. The character designs and the characters themselves were all likable and the self aware comedy was hilarious.

Questionable things aside like the widescreen at the beginning and the poor quality of animation, seriously HS; it looks blurry as fuck, this has met all sorts of expectations. I hope there's a BD release of this and not by those asshats from Sentai. I would buy this immediately.

5. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

Episode 1
    Andou stealing the show totally has nothing to do with him being voiced by Nobuhiko Okamoto. Not at aaall. Okay, that's a terrible lie. Any even tolerable anime with Okamoto in a good role is a good thing.
    Isn't this pretty much the first anime ever where the Chuunibyou character actually gets to have real powers? Neat. You could say he's the... dark flame master.
    I do like how it felt like a partial parody and deconstruction of the general "magical high school" genre, something that has honestly been tragically lacking, though it seems it will generally just try to be a fun slice of life series with superpowers included.
    And contrary to what the last scene may imply, it will apparently not get real serious at any point, so that blue haired dude is probably just a huge goofball and Andou's kindred spirit who loves playing the villain.
    While this could always end up failing, this first episode was fun, and it actually went by incredibly quickly. It felt like only half an episode had actually passed.

6. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Whoa, that was close! I got all the way through the theme song before I realized this was a Trigger show. Bullet dodged. Gotta add this to "Won't Watch" so I don't forget again.

7. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Posted by Thrawn on Oct 6, 2014

You could at least watch 2 minutes of it that isn't the OP.

8. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

If I'd have checked who made it beforehand, I wouldn't have even watched that. Good thing I was paying attention to the OP.

9. tootalls

tootalls Well-Known Member

This was funny shit, I almost lost it when...

The girl said I still have Andous power... lmao was she gunna rub them all with that luke warm fire? lolololollolololo
    I get the feeling I've seen all these characters before. This show was funny and it should be entertaining as long as it doesn't ever try to take itself seriously.

The animation quality is subpar though.

10. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Oct 7, 2014

Episode 1

Good stuff
    This really was a nice surprise, the show isn't made by the Kill la Kill staff this time around, and I was expecting just a cash grab for Trigger so that they could animate something original again. What I actually got was a pretty funny magical high school show, where the superpowers were played for gags.

There were a couple of info dumps in there, neither really bothered me that much. I liked the characters, the artstyle was a little meh, but there were several visual cues that I really liked, the Life Fibre boxing gloves were one of them, and this part looked pretty old skool, even if it did last for a few seconds
    [​IMG]
    I also disagree that the animation was sub par, it might not have been as good as Shingeki no Bahamut, but it did the job it needed to, and had some nice moments.

I kind of hope they leave Andou with a totally useless power, I'd find that pretty damn funny throughout if he always gets built up as a shounen protagonist but ends up being worse than useless.

11. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

I didn't have a problem with the animation either. Animation wise I thought it was pretty middle of the road and good enough when it needed to be for the action.

That was exactly the frame I had in mind when I did say this showed a few signs of visual flair. It's old school indeed.

I guess everyone else dug the
    Kill la Kill reference but I thought it was too in my face. The rest of the episode was more subtle with the parody and stuff so the reference struck as feeling off. Although I guess if you're describing Kill la Kill then in your face would be one of the first things you think.

But that's a tiny complain in an otherwise great episode.

12. Ailly

Ailly Well-Known Member

Posted by Ailly on Oct 7, 2014

Hey now, a loli who's actually not annoying as hell? Who would have thought? And I really liked her voice as well. Nothing much to add that hasn't been said already, good first episode. Although that opening (the first half, more precisely) was godawful.

13. 8MangaMan

8MangaMan Well-Known Member

Ep 1

As of now I'd say this is my favorite of the season, which is unfortunate since I didn't think it was that great.

I enjoy the animation and character design quite a bit. It is clearly meant to make people laugh, which I like, but maybe try harder in accomplishing that goal. I am looking forward to watching more so that's a good thing, but I hope it can wow me soon. I just hope this doesn't turn into some craptastic harem.

I know it's trigger but did they really need to have that Kill la Kill reference out of nowhere? It felt like that "joke" was just there so they could throw in a random punch.

14. Firelord

Firelord New Member

From the shows I've seen so far, based on the first episode, this is by far the best, though this could easily change when other shows prove to be more entertaining and/or this show takes a steep drop downhill hereafter. I personally think it's gonna be all right, and that this show will provide lots of laughs, but we'll see. At the very least, I'm more motivated to continue watching this than other shows.

15. kawakamasu

kawakamasu Member

based on the first episode.. i guess ill keep watching this. didn't think it was great, nor was it shit. just really average so it feels like it'll be a pleasant enough watch. it had some short moments i thought was really good tho.
    like the bit when he talked about saying good morning and good night to his flame every day

even if it was very... average it might very well be one of the best anime this season... considering.. well yeh.

16. captaincrunch

captaincrunch Well-Known Member

This is 100% right up my alley but I was pretty underwhelmed by it. I'll keep watching though.

17. Rauru

Rauru Guest

Posted by Rauru on Oct 13, 2014

Episode 2

What is this? I was expecting this series to just go on with pointless chuuni battles but instead... character development?!
    Though honestly I actually wanted to see them abuse their powers a bit more.

18. Etue

Etue Well-Known Member

Posted by Etue on Oct 13, 2014

Episode 2

If I had been in his position I would have never done that. I mean she's among the top of the 5 girls in terms of looks.Actually, considering the girls personalities together with looks she might be the most date worthy material in my eyes, interesting.

Well, that wasn't like I expected. The humour is largely okay or good. The episodes plot was rather generic, the execution was however spot way better than most anime manage to do with this kind of setup. Still I'm not truly amazed by the current affairs the anime deals with .It is by no means something I don't enjoy watching however and I do look forward to next weeks episode a lot.

19. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

Pretty much this.
    There wasn't enough magic shenanigans in this episode, but it got several chuckles out of me, and good gods the episode ended quickly!
    Seriously, something about how it is paced makes the episode feel like it is only half as long as it actually is, and I experienced the same thing yesterday. Weird.
    As for some of the events of the episode
    that came and went pretty quickly, but I'm glad this wasn't going to drag out for several episodes, thank goodness, though that made the atmosphere at the end feel a tad too sappy since this is just the second episode.

So far my biggest complaints are that the setting seems very inflexible right now.
    It's just "hallway" and "club room" so far, and it feels kind of claustrophobic.
    We also need more characters. Specifically male characters, in my opinion.
    (with powers, of course, as I want none of that "we got to hide our powers" bullshit)

Looking forward to more, and I hope they don't skimp on the magic in the future.