What's your favourite video game soundtrack?

Shadow of the Collossus had a pretty OST. It had a very folksy fantasy feel to it, which suited the game perfectly.

Lots of intense soundtracks have been posted, but I appreciate something you can chill out to as well. Flower is a low stress game and the soundtrack is so damn soothing, but not boring.

Lots of intense soundtracks have been posted, but I appreciate something you can chill out to as well. Flower is a low stress game and the soundtrack is so damn soothing, but not boring.

Yeah, thatgamecompany makes some pretty great games to just chill out to, not having to think about achieving something or hunting after trophies. I view Journey as their masterpiece and it had a great soundtrack too ofc. It's more sweeping in places but still has that relaxing feel most of the time and apart from maybe 1-2 instances where the game gets a bit intense, it really is more about the journey and taking in the beauty of the all the places you visit.

Completely forgot to put in some Castlevania earlier. Most people know the classics like Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears, so here's a tune from the Aria of Sorrow game for GBA:

And some SOTN because it's SOTN:

Still remember when you first came to the castle as Alucard and you were OP as fuck, killing everything that stood in your way (until Death strips you of your powers and equipment, that bastard).

@g3data Damn, that actually does sound a hell of a lot better. I'm usually not fond of most Castlevania remixes since they overdo it with the guitar wankery and the drums sound generic af. This is actually a really nice one here (given how the GBA sound quality is that's no surprise ofc, but still).
@AdmiralMuffin Aaah, so that's where your profile pic is from (Estelle). Never played any of these games either :/

@AdmiralMuffin Aaah, so that's where your profile pic is from (Estelle). Never played any of these games either :/

If you like super slow-paced games with excellent world-building and lore then I really really recommend the Trails series.

Here's a good video describing how massive the world of Trails is and it's excellent attention to detail. Mind the click-baity title though.

Last edited:

Reminds me of Grandia somewhat, at least visually and how the battle system seems to work. It's good to know that Ys and Trails are available for PC, it makes acquiring them a lot easer for me. I'll keep them in mind (also yeah, that was some click-bait right there, but it's good insight nonetheless). I also prefer stories to be set over the course of a few years in the same world (at least when it comes to JRPGs of which I haven't played a lot except for the obvious ones like FF, some from the Tales and Chrono series and those don't really do that often).

I'm playing Shinobi III on 3DS again right now and man, if it hasn't some of the most badass 16-bit tunes out there. That soundtrack totally gets me into the demon-slaying ninja master mood. Sorry Ninja Gaiden, you're great too.

Probably Tales of Symphonia. I've got more memorable tunes from that game in my head than from any other.

I always post Beat the Angel when this topic comes up like the raving fanboy I am, so here's to a change of pace.

Runner-ups would be Majora's Mask, the Ace Attorney franchise, Golden Sun and Wind Waker.

Last edited:
Representing PC Gaming, my favorite video game soundtrack is:
Rome: Total War and Rome: Total War: Barbarian Invasion.
The music fits the action so well, with a mix of dramatic and quiet pieces.
watch

Last edited:
All people mentioning wind waker... brings a tear to me eye

I remember how everyone had a different opinion of it back in the day because of its "childish" look and means of travel. When I got to play it on a friend's Gamecube I was actually really surprised how good it was. It was the first 3D Zelda I played (yep, this dude actually never played Ocarina and Mask when they came out). My favourites will always be A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening though, the ones I grew up on.

Any Heroes of Might and Magic fans here? Part III is a legendary game for me on PC and I sank hours upon hours of gameplay into it. It's soundtrack wasn't too shabby, either.

Reminds me of Dany Elfman in places. Ah yes, summoning the armies of the dead and crushing your enemies with skeleton/ghost dragons. Good times.

So many good ones...

This one is indelibly etched into my mind having played the crap out of Splinter Cell. I can even quote the entire phone conversation between the terrorists outside of that apartment..."I speak to Vyacheslav Grinko or no one...ass."

Metal Gear Solid has the most consistently fantastic OST of any game series for me. This is such an epic opening. Of course, Snake Eater is another fantastic theme that I'm sure someone else has posted. I think what makes MGS so unique as far as music goes is that it uses it more than as background noise. The ladder sequence for instance is one of the most wonderful moments in gaming. Such a beautiful buildup to an epic boss fight. God...I want to play MGS3 again. My favorite game ever.

Nier Automata has one of the best soundtracks ever. Fite me.

Another one where I've played UT99 so much that these songs are completely stuck in my head for my entire life. Absolutely fantastic soundtrack.

*Boots up Witcher 3*
*Hears this*
*Reaches for Kleenex*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBEUgYxgnoA
Mah childhood.

@AdmiralMuffin Parasite Eve, haha... I only ever played the second one and a bit of that weird PSP title where it turned into a third-person shooter. Aya Brea was an early video game crush of mine (screw Lara Croft).

@RotisserieChicken I was almost going with the MGS2 main theme when I did my post, but for some reason the infiltration music on the Big Shell is etched more into my mind (partly because me and my friends spent so much time getting all the damn dog tags). It's my personal favourite rendition of the TAPPY theme from MGS1 (MGS3's is awesome too, but MGS2 hits me more from a nostalgic viewpoint, at least musically).

@AdmiralMuffin Parasite Eve, haha... I only ever played the second one and a bit of that weird PSP title where it turned into a third-person shooter. Aya Brea was an early video game crush of mine (screw Lara Croft).

Play the first one. Best one in the franchise. The second one was good too but I prefer the first's combat. Third Birthday was meh. I mean it wasn't a bad game but didn't really enjoy it that much. Story was disappointing too.

Play the first one. Best one in the franchise. The second one was good too but I prefer the first's combat. Third Birthday was meh. I mean it wasn't a bad game but didn't really enjoy it that much. Story was disappointing too.

My flatmate is a survival horror nerd and he still has it for his PS1. We're telling ourselves to play it one of these days (actually, we wanted to do it for this October) but we never do.

Speaking of survival horror:

When you played an old RE game, entered a save room and this music started playing you actually felt SAFE. That's the kind of heartrace this game brought us back in the day. Still hate those fucking Lickers and Mr. X.

Back