What's your favourite video game soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Schizm, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Posted by Schizm on Nov 29, 2017
    We need more music threads and even though not everybody might be as interested in talking about this topic in general, we all have at least played video games and were moved by some piece of music we heard while doing so.

Often they're stuck in our heads and able to transport us to that exact same place and time when we first heard them or making us all nostalgic for whatever game we encountered them in. Without them all that shit we played would be pretty much pointless anyway, so what are your favourite VG soundtracks and why? I'll start things off with some of my most beloved gaming earworms.

Nothing like buying gifts for your future brothers in arms and enjoying peaceful bliss in a quiet Japanese merchant town before going back to slicing through Nobunaga's demon hordes.

"Let's rock!" That tune still gets me soooo fuckin' pumped, man.

Sneaking around on the Big Shell with this playing in the background was the most chill thing me and my buddies would do way back in 2001. Harry-Gregson Williams and Norihiko Hibino really did a great job here.

Another great tune from the MGS franchise. It fits the jungle theme of the game perfectly and my heart was always racing when I put on my camouflage and hid from Volgin's men after being discovered.

One of Hideo Kojima's lesser known game series, but especially 2nd Runner has some of the most pumpin' electro dance shit playing while you fly around in a slick-looking mech blasting your way through hundreds of enemies with the speed of light. This is a boss theme and Zakat was freaking HUGE.

2. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Stupid restriction with the media posts. Here's the other half:

Oh my god Okami... where to begin? It's one of the most beautiful games I ever had the joy of playing and its soundtrack played a huuuge part in that. I would often just stop in my tracks and look around, then dash across the Ryoshima plains like the wind. Maaaan, I love this game. Can't wait for the PS4 remaster!

Hooooly shit, now we're in full-on nostalgia mode! Playing this game in co-op with my friends on SNES was so badass and this song comes up in the very first level already, setting the tone for the entire game. Just awesome.

Do I need to say more? Dan Forden, you magnificent bastard. Nothing like resolving your differences with a friend over a round of good ol' MK2 (especially when you get to slice him in half or worse).

Another masterpiece with an amazing soundtrack. That fretless bass and haunting choir are absolutely magical to me and I kept revisiting the forest at the beginning of the game over and over just to hear this tune. It really sets my mind at ease.

Even though I think Diablo 2 is ultimately the superior game, this has to be the most memorabe tune from the entire trilogy. Can still hear Deckard Cain's words whenever I put this on: "Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen."
    There's tons more where that came from (no Final Fantasy so far), but it's early in the morning and I seriously need to get some shut-eye. Now it's your turn!

3. RascaI

RascaI Well-Known Member

Posted by RascaI on Nov 29, 2017
    A few of my favorites: (warning, nintendo fanboy)

The return of this piece in Rito village in BOTW put a nonstop smile on my face, and made me remember my days as a young'un with less responsibilities, playing this masterpiece. Still my favorite all time track from the series out of pure nostalgic value.

Fantastic composition that fits very well with the tone of the game and the pure style it has. Very flashy.

Aaand i can't remember any more. Will post more later, haven't thought of my favorite video game music in a while! Good thread.

SMores, ZetsubouKaiji and Schizm like this.
  4. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

One major reason why I'm a big Nihon Falcom fanboy is because of their god-tier music.

Their flagship series, Ys, is known to have one of the best soundtrack of all time.

SMores, ZetsubouKaiji, RascaI and 2 others like this.
  5. AdmiralMuffin

Continued:

SMores, ZetsubouKaiji and Schizm like this.
  6. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

@MythicalTurkey: Duuuude, Shovel Knight! How could I forget to put one of those in? Definitely one of the absolute best 8-bit soundtrack stuff in recent memory <3

@AdmiralMuffin Unfortunately I never played any Ys games myself, but I know of them and their status. But yeah, that's some dope ass RPG music. Some tunes are quite different from the norm, too (like Sunshine Coastline). Can you recommend a good starting point, should I ever wanna try one?

7. AdmiralMuffin

All Ys games are stand-alone. The latest one, Ys VIII, is a great starting point. With the exception of a few recurring characters, you don't need to worry about the story.

Here's more tracks from Ys VIII to show that the Ys team are still keeping their A-game after all these years.

Schizm and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  8. CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow Database Moderator

Here's some I can think of off the top of my head...

Dreaming Sarah: For a tiny little indie game that's blatantly inspired by that other game about dreams, Dreaming Sarah has quite a good soundtrack. It's appropriately dreamy and ethereal but a little dissonant and the lo-fi synths and electronic instruments compliment the lo-fi look of the game. Samples: Solitude, It Was Here.

Bit.Trip Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien: Good rhythm games with good soundtracks are a dime-a-dozen these days, but there's something about Runner2 and its uplifting score that sets it apart from the crowd. Every song uses these triumphant and joyful tones that swell as the song / stage progresses, and even though they use similar melodies, each song has a great sense of momentum that just make you want to go along with it. Samples: Runner2 Theme, Superfunk.

Bastion: Never settling in one genre for too long, Bastion's soundtrack is this sonic patchwork of acoustic sounds from foreign cultures, a touch of western twang and driving industrial beats that perfectly evoke the science fantasy feel of the game. It's dramatic, adventurous and a little bit strange. Also has the best fight music ever, fight me.

Schizm and SMores like this.
  9. Vega

Vega Well-Known Member

Posted by Vega on Nov 29, 2017
  10. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Nov 29, 2017
    Might as well fucking say it, buuuuuut FINAAAAAAAAAL FANTAAAAAAAASY 9 MAAAAAAAAAAAN:

Probably Nobuo Uematsu's finest work to me, and he's such a prolific godly composer for the franchise. Honestly, the music just felt as though, it lost that special something, when he stopped composing for the games.

Taek, Schizm, SMores and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Posted by Jamie on Nov 29, 2017
    I've only ever completed 2 JRPGs. They were the Lunar games, Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue (the PS1 releases). These two songs from SSS still give me chills. These are the Working Designs English translated songs.

AdmiralMuffin, Schizm and SMores like this.
  12. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Awwwwww shit son, I got one of my top soundtracks on my phone! It's baller and the game has everything!

Most bitchin' ass rock songs with all the guitars and shit:

Some dope rhymes dropped with a phat beat? Fo'shizzle ma nizzle!

Killer instrumentals for fucking insane as fuck hard boss battles that your younger self couldn't beat unless you spent 60 FUCKING LIVES ON THAT FUCKING SUMBITCH BUT THE SONG WAS STILL SO FUCKING GOOD THAT YOU KEPT ON GOING AND BUTTON MASHED THE FINAL PART:

I'll make another post for other games but even when I got this game years and years ago, I fucking loved the soundtrack. But only 5 medias in this? That bites yo. Had to take out one of my favorites for another one of my favorites that warrants attention.

Schizm, SMores and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  13. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Silver Surfer was a shit game that took being hard to an insanely unfair to degree, but the soundtrack was rad as fuck.

The original Nier had a beautiful soundtrack:

Loved the jazzy and quirky Bayonetta soundtrack. It makes a nice counterpoint to the hard rock soundtrack of DMC.

Thunder Force IV will rock your balls off:

Gens, Vega, Zed and 3 others like this.
  14. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Nov 30, 2017
    come on guys, you all know what's the best soundtrack out there

jokes aside, here are some of my favorites

Schizm likes this.
  15. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

No More Heroes soundtrack is pretty dope, too.

Also, this:

Schizm likes this.
  16. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Love the diversity so far! Some really kick-ass titles in here already and some games I haven't even heard of but look/sound intriguing (Dreaming Sarah, Gunpoint, Tower of Heaven). Also @ZetsubouKaiji, those Thunder Force IV tunes need to be like 10 hours longer \m/

Here's some other music I like:

Fuuuuuuck yeaaaaaaaah! The first Persona I ever played and I instantly fell in love with its opening theme. The rest of the soundtrack is kickass as well, as you all know, but I remember never skipping the intro and always looking forward to playing what came off to me like an interactive anime.

Including this mainly for the sheer badassery that is Auron, my favourite FF character ever. "This is your world now." Nobuo Uematsu is truly a genius and has left behind such a huge legacy with these games.

Holy shit Kefka, that crazy sumbitch. My favourite FF game and my favourite FF villain of all time and this theme fits his demented personality perfectly. It's really impressive when a villain starts out with little schemes and is rather annoying than imposing and then basically becomes
    the destroyer of worlds with a serious god complex
    Can never unhear that cackle.

My first RPG actually and I must have played through this one at least a dozen times on PC. Nowadays there's better RPGs out there for me and I look back on this game more like an old friend, who's a bit simple but still manages to put a huge smile on my face. Also, that battle theme kicks ass!

Another great (and old) Kojima game with a Blade Runner/Terminator vibe and kick-ass music. That fucking sax still gets me hyped af and the game itself is still fun to play if you're into his kind of storytelling.

ZetsubouKaiji likes this.
  17. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

Okami had some great tunes that perfectly matched the mood and the visuals.
    Baldur's Gate 2 came with plenty of great fantasy-tinged tracks, especially when they switched to Jeremy Soule for the Throne of Bhaal expansion. You could tell that the Conan film score was an obvious source of inspiration.
    Speaking of using other people's music as inspiration, the first two DOOM games and their soundtracks are metal as fuck, getting as close to having Metallica and Pantera in a game that you can without having to pay for a license.
    Silent Hill 2 has a really good Angelo Badalamenti vibe along with all the industrial noise, adding to the Lynch-like atmosphere of the game.
    The Mass Effect series had some cool old school synth vibes going on. A lot of the tracks have a Vangelis feel, aping his Blade Runner soundtrack (the ending song in particular).
    Undertale is great all around, and the soundtrack is no exception.

Taek, ZetsubouKaiji and Schizm like this.
  18. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

That's right! There was also a lot of Slayer-inspired tunes, too. One from the first DOOM sounded pretty close to Behind the Crooked Cross iirc.

EDIT: Found it.

ZetsubouKaiji likes this.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  19. Nicknames

Nicknames Database Moderator

There are so many soundtrack I love I dunno where to start, so I guess I'll start from older (generation-wise) to newer.

A great game with an equally great soundtrack

An orchestral ost in the Megadrive? All my yes!

Just one word, EPIC!

I simply love the OST of this game.

The original PSX game had a bunch of issues, but the OST was definitely not one of them. It was pretty atmospheric and each song fit every scene and level.

[​IMG]

20. Nicknames

Nicknames Database Moderator

These songs pretty much scream "It's whoop-ass time!" and gets you pumped for the incoming boss fight.

This soundtrack made slaying goblins feel magical.

I lost count of how many times I've already listened to this soundtrack since it got released last year.