What qualities are attractive to you in a partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there is some qualities I find attractive in guys, but it's much easier for me to say what qualities I'd be looking for. (This will be LONG & in no particular order.) I don't think a guy like this exists, (except for maybe in books or anime :P ) but a gal can dream...

Doesn't have to be an Albert Einstien, but must be smart nonetheless. :P
Must respect my boundaries & not get upset with said boundaries as I have them for a reason. (Would be willing to negotiate on some, but it depends on what it is.)
Must not get upset if I need alone time for whatever reason, and must not get upset if I don't return messages/texts for whatever reason.
Must respect that I DON'T want children or sex. (I have deep trauma when it comes to both, and nothing can change that.)
Must give me time to formulate my thoughts/feelings/words, especially verbally. (I'm autistic.)
Must be willing to give me breaks. (For example, during a conversation I may need a few minutes of "breaktime" so I don't get overstimulated.)
Would love it if he were aware & understood about autism/asperger's, but at the very least must be willing to learn about it since it's a big part of my life.
Too many questions at once can overstimulate me, so he needs to respect that.
He CANNOT be a liar, and CANNOT break promises, especially huge ones...
Cannot force eye contact & must respect & be grateful that even looking at someone's general direction is huge for me.
Must not touch me unexpectedly, (especially at first) because unexpected touch can be painful to me due to sensory issues.
Can't get angry/upset with me or yell if I have a panic attack or meltdown. (Meltdowns are similar to panic attacks, but they're way too hard for me to explain in simple terms.)
Must be a great listener.
Gotta have the perfect balance of humor yet knows when to be serious. (In saying that, he can't be majorly obnoxious, but yet can't be Snape level serious cause that'd freak me out lol. o_o)

Knows how to cook & clean, & basically has common sense.
Would love it if he was kinda geeky/nerdy like me & had similar interests. :) (Cannot judge any of my interests either as they all mean a lot to me. It's one thing to joke, but I won't tolerate straight up judgement.)
Must realize that I may need help during conversation, (I don't always know what to say or what to talk about) and is willing to initiate conversation as that helps me be less stressed. (Don't always know when to end a convo either, so help with that would be great.)
Needs to understand & respect that if I can't do something for whatever reason, I just can't do it.
Must love animals.
Must be kind & caring, & must be extremely respectful to me & my family & others.
Must not swear like a drunken sailor. (I don't care if he swears sometimes, but swearing every other word/sentence is very off putting to me, especially when it comes to the F-Bomb.)
Must be accepting of me/stuff about me & my diagnosis'.
Has a great personality & is extremely encouraging, & is optimistic & positive. :)
(There is more, but I think you get the point.)

If I were a guy, I probably wouldn’t mind dating you. I also happen to agree with almost everything on
your list. You’d defintantly make a wonderful girlfriend (I’m not flirting with you or anything. Just telling you
what I really think based off of what you like.)

I have very strict qualifications to be my bread bakin', money bakin', bread takin' mamma.

1. Experienced field medic. I literally couldn't imagine dating someone who couldn't dress a wound if I get shot by them damn confed'rates.

2. Must share -- but never specifically mention -- the same fears, and must both, again, without ever discussing it, try to cure the others fear, unsuccessfully, through immersion, again, to remind you, never, not even once, mentioning, in any specificity, that we, together, share these fears.

3. No weeb shit. My footbroballs can't find out I love no cute shit.

4. Honey, if you can't swing a scythe for an 11 hour shift in the alfalfa fields in summer, why are you trying to get with this man of the land? Move along, thot.

5. Surfgoth style. Dark Priestress in the streets, hang 10, SHAKA, in the streets. Must own sheets in the streets.

6. Gotta be cartin' around a juicy dumper, I have a lot of wildgrowth debris about my acreage, and baby, if you dont have the means to help me operate a dump truck large enough to scrap this vegetal rubbish, you got no reason to be with me.

7. I'm married, thot along, move.

8. She may SING TO but not be SUNG BACK TO by birds. I'll lose my mind. My mind will go shit. I'll lose the shit.

9. She's gotta be able to flush out any buildup in my carburetors, because I'm a hemi guy and if you can't calibrate these pistons, why in the world would I pay you 159.99 dollars AFTER insurance to replace the alternator on my fat ride's calipers? You're not worth the investment, babe.

10. Lastly, honestly, just put up with shit like this, but I'm married, why did you ask again?

Well there is some qualities I find attractive in guys, but it's much easier for me to say what qualities I'd be looking for. (This will be LONG & in no particular order.) I don't think a guy like this exists, (except for maybe in books or anime :P ) but a gal can dream...

I wish I could be the kind of person who lives up to all of your hopes and dreams, but this is too much stuff for me.

I'm attracted to women who are confident, courteous, and have self-respect, which at my age, is pretty hard to come by. My most fulfilling relationship was with an older lady. She was 35, with a 6 year old baby, and I was 20.

I loved that she never felt the need to ask me for my permission, she didn't try to impress me or anybody else, never forced a conversation and could just sit their quietly, both of us lost in our own thoughts. She had enough self-confidence to not assume the worst in me, and often times I would catch her alone, laughing at her own jokes and making herself smile, which was amazing to see. It felt like she was living her life the way she wanted, and I got to support her along the way. I'm glad I was able to experience an adult relationship, but ever since, I've been unable to find another woman who can hold their head as high as she did.

Just about every girl I know in my age group acts like a juvenile with a credit card. Trying to win you over with sex-appeal and glamour. Nothing turns me off faster than profanity used as filler, a face caked with make-up, poor financial decisions (Car loans!), a generally materialistic attitude, overly obsessed with their phones/social media, or the word "like" being used in every other sentence. It's so common that I can't help but to count how many times someone uses that word in a conversation. It makes me cringe.

I'm at the peak of my prime, 23, and I haven't had a meaningful attraction to a girl in over two years. Once you realize pretty faces are a dime a dozen, the only thing you really want is some substance to back it up. I'm really tired of every girl I meet being brainwashed with our sex-culture and jumping on every bandwagon that comes along. I just want a girl that has her head on straight and doesn't feel that she needs to compare herself or impress anyone.

If I were a guy, I probably wouldn’t mind dating you. I also happen to agree with almost everything on
your list. You’d defintantly make a wonderful girlfriend (I’m not flirting with you or anything. Just telling you
what I really think based off of what you like.)

Thanks. :)

Sometimes I wonder if my "standards" are too high, but I figure that if they are too low, there is a much greater chance of me getting hurt. (Been through some pretty terrible breakups over the years & dealt with those who I thought loved me but turned out to be jerks/narcissists, or they got scared/intimidated due to my diagnosis' & stuff, so that's part of why I'm kinda specific with a lot of the stuff I'm looking for in terms of being in a relationship with a guy.)

I wish I could be the kind of person who lives up to all of your hopes and dreams, but this is too much stuff for me.

Well at least you're honest, and I could understand how it would be too much. (Heck, I can't even stand myself sometimes I just wish that the guys that I dated would've been as honest before they said "yes" so I wouldn't have dealt with all the heartbreak & disappointment they all gave me. In saying that though, I did have some happy (albeit fleeting) memories with a few, but eventually they just couldn't handle it all and just...got intimidated/scared so they called it off...

I've almost given up, but something deep down keeps trying to tell me to just keep waiting & the right one will come somehow.

I've come to the conclusion so far that I tend to be mostly attracted to girls who aren't super feminine. That's about it looks-wise.

Personality-wise, I want my partner to not just be someone that I like, but someone I admire or look up to as well I suppose. Someone I think is cool, that I would want to be around even if I wasn't actually attracted to them. Someone talented and kind.

If I were to start over again, the qualities I would hope to find in a future partner would be similar to what they have always been;
intellect. I don't mean that in a snobby or egotistical way, I don't necessarily mean academically intellectual either, but when people 'know' in depth about whatever they like and can talk about it enthusiastically or passionately, that to me is something I admire. I know I would have to respect their values too and need someone that maybe I can learn something new from.

Currently, I am girl fanning over Eric Weinstein the mathematicial physicist - who is using his intellect to explore the social mores of humanity and discussion of contemporary issues in his podcast.
I love kindness and empathy, I love it when a man really laughs and likes to dance - as an introvert myself (INFP according to Myers Brigss Personality Type Indicator), I would probably do best with a compassionate extrovert type; funny I always seem to end up with quiet ones! ;)

In my perspective, I would like a partner that is compassionate, loyal, and understanding. Intelligence and reliability is a big bonus.

A good cook is also a preference for a partner because they can make a lot of delicious cuisines, and foods.

I'm married but hope I can still post here haha.

The traits I find most attractive are quiet confidence, respect for the truly important people in their lives (especially women) (celebrity worship is a negative to me unless personally known), good work ethic, a sense of direction in their lives that lines up with mine, a similar personality to mine (introverted being most important to me), and similar hobbies or at least hobbies I respect (painting/most arts, gardening, playing gentle music, things that can be done quietly without other people)

i'd like for them to share at least a couple of my nerdy interests yet still be a sociable person. big ask since i'm part of some socially awkward fandoms and quite awkward myself. open mindedness, good communication and a bit of self-awareness are key too.

Truthfully, I don't think there is any point to writing all these long lists. It's all about pheromones. Logic and reason do not apply here. I met some who just mesmerized me with their appearance. And I'd found myself speechless. A single smile enough to melt me away. Like enchanted to the point that I hadn't been able to make much of a sense of it even if I wanted to. Such people are beyond attractive. Don't even have to look all that gorgeous, it's all about the click.

Truthfully, I don't think there is any point to writing all these long lists. It's all about pheromones. Logic and reason do not apply here. I met some who just mesmerized me with their appearance. And I'd found myself speechless. A single smile enough to melt me away. Like enchanted to the point that I hadn't been able to make much of a sense of it even if I wanted to. Such people are beyond attractive. Don't even have to look all that gorgeous, it's all about the click.

yeah pretty much, if it clicks it clicks yanno.

these "preference" lists pretty much just feel like people rationalizing their attraction to a past partner or love interest by cataloguing everything about them except the thing that actually matters. i mean it's understandable, since it's way easier to write down "blonde hair, ponytail, cute smile" than to somehow try to quantify and predict attraction and love, but i honestly don't see the point unless you legit have a massive hard-on for very specific hair colors or some shit

i think part of this ramble is a quote from somewhere but eh cba to find out.

i might also be completely wrong and delusional, haven't slept and i think psychosis is knocking

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

I have very strict qualifications to be my bread bakin', money bakin', bread takin' mamma.

2. Must share -- but never specifically mention -- the same fears, and must both, again, without ever discussing it, try to cure the others fear, unsuccessfully, through immersion, again, to remind you, never, not even once, mentioning, in any specificity, that we, together, share these fears.

Fucking lmao, I need to write this one down

Thanks. :)

I've almost given up, but something deep down keeps trying to tell me to just keep waiting & the right one will come somehow.

ramble time

maintaining hope is probably one of the most important things you can do in any shitty situation. still, one thing that I think would help a lot of disillusioned/lonely people is realizing that most likely, there is no "right one", at least not in the sense that anyone will ever find their perfect dream partner.
OFC hope is healthy, but in my experience every steady and successful relationship (that I've witnessed, at least) is built, at least partially, on compromise.
it can be small things like "where are we grabbing lunch today" or it can be pretty huge stuff, like forgoing your romantic preferences (at least partially) because...​

1. A: the potential partner makes up for it with other positive attributes.
  2. B: finding that perfect guy or gal simply turns out to be impossible, so you'll either stay alone or "settle" (god i hate that word) for the best viable candidate.
  3. C: desperation has really messed you up.
  4. D: some wonderful combo of all of the above.

i guess one important thing you could do would be ranking your preferences/requirements from say 1-5, with 1 being negligible importance and 5 being no compromise. then just try to write a list in this order and see if it gives you a new POV on dating.
while it might not help at all, at least you'll have a real honest-to-god list that shows you what's the most and least important to you in a partner, which might also help with self-reflection.

would you, for example, be willing to date an immensely kind but airheaded geek with no cooking skills whatsoever?
an athlete that fulfills every criteria except the geekiness but has to spend 8+ hours at the gym every day so he can compete?

essentially, this is where you rank your preferences. think about it long and hard, then figure out what you'd be willing to compromise.

OFC at the slightest hint of mental/physical/social abuse just hightail it and don't look back

(you seem smart so you probably knew that. still, just in case.)

anway, back to compromising.
even with 7+billion people on this horrid lump of stone and salt water the chance of anybody finding that perfect partner they've been dreaming about is microscopically low.

OFC it's not impossible, it's just very, very improbable.

even if you find someone initially great there's a very real chance they'll change for the worse during the relationship.
there's a very real chance that the weekly lunch place arguments and petty squabbles over minor shit just gets too much for either of you to handle.
relationships can really crash and burn in the most horrifying ways, and sadly heartbreak is as large a part of romance as love is.
however, heartbreak is as integral to romance as the first nervous kiss you ever had

so, what do? how compromise?

1. group dates/hangouts are less risky etc. (probably old hat).
  2. trust your gut. if a prospective date is sus, better safe than sorry. your instincts have developed for millions of years so getting iffy about someone is your body subconsciously warning you that you might be in danger.
  3. most importantly realize that there will most likely be nobody perfect, and the highest most people can shoot for is someone "GOOD ENOUGH".
  4. "GOOD ENOUGH" does not mean "BAD", it just means that they fulfill enough important criteria to be worth dating. our culture inundates us since childhood with the beautiful lie that everyone has a perfect soulmate who is just waiting for the right moment to appear and save you from yourself, despite what ANYONE in ANY dating scene would say to the contrary.
  5. if you make a compromise for someone, you are completely justified to expect that they'll do the same to you.
  6. in this kind of relationship communication is KEY. you've made it very clear that you have a hard time talking sometimes, but if you don't even get that little crumb of courtesy from others you'll dodge a bullet by leaving ASAP.
  7. i know autism makes it very hard to connect with people and even harder to tell what they are thinking (i grew up with the same blessing) and you've made it clear you need time alone. this is completely normal and nothing to be ashamed of, but it is worth bringing up to a prospective partner. if i was dating someone and thinking everything was going well I'd probably be taken aback at best and spiral into neurosis at worst if my partner told me they "need some time alone" without further elaboration.

fuck you smeg, I'm still alone and nothing you said has helped!

this is probably the most important thing I can say:
"alone" doesn't have to mean "lonely".

yes, affection is a deep-seated need, but even that is possible to unlearn. it's last-ditch, it's unpleasant, but if there truly is no light at the end of the tunnel it can be a very good way to protect yourself from further stress and pain.

there's a whole world out there with streets you've never walked, you have instant access to the world's largest information database at your fingertips, there's wonderful books and exquisite art and all kinds of groovy chemicals just waiting to be experienced.
2 kids and a picket fence isn't the be-all-end-all our culture conditions us into striving towards.

you have the world at your fingertips and cobblestones under your shoe soles, why not just walk?
it doesn't matter where you're going or why you're leaving, what matters is that you're still alive and still in motion.
keep learning, keep living, keep moving. those "men" who treated you like a disposable toy are swine and animals, but even those scars will eventually fade and heal and turn into memories.

some "people" are like sharks or bloodhounds. the moment they smell your insecurity and uncertainty they'll pounce so they can use you for their own gain.
however, the moment you can proudly say "I love myself and all that I am" with true conviction and confidence in your heart - they'll have no power over you anymore.

of course, self-love isn't just a switch you can flick on and off, it's a painful, grueling journey (unless you were lucky enough to be born with it) and it's a journey that never ends, but as long as you take it one day at a time and cherish every successful day as a minor victory you'll be there before you know it.

TIPS!

• lift weights, run, swim, take cold showers and hot sauna baths. martial arts are very good to learn.
  • read, write, draw, make crafts, paint, do anything that lets you compile your thoughts and burn your negativity as fuel.
  • if you don't know how to cook, learn how to do so and eat healthy. your body will thank you, your gut will thank you, you'll feel reborn.
  • write down a list of your positive traits and don't allow your negative side to interject for even a second.
  • if you have habits you're ashamed of, do your best to eliminate them, but don't fall into shame because of a minor setback.
  • if life seems overbearingly difficult, make a to-do list with normal everyday activities (going to work on time, working out, cooking something nice, learning something new, the sky's your limit) and reward yourself with something small after a certain amount of tasks.
  • if you feel sad, take out the note with your positive traits and remind yourself that while your brain feels like it's conspiring against you, it's just terrified of being out of it's comfort zone, and that you are holding a legitimate document that proves that no matter what your mind is trying to tell you, you are neither hopeless or a failure.
  • never compare yourself to others. we are as numerous as we are unique, and cherry-picking your own worst sides so you can compare them to the best sides others exhibit is pointless, counterproductive and damaging.

TL;DR
  • LEARN TO LOVE YOURSELF, LEARN TO LOVE YOUR FLAWS.
  • TRY TO MAKE A MINOR IMPROVEMENT IN YOUR LIFE EVERY DAY.
  • BEING ALONE DOES NOT EQUAL BEING LONELY.
  • THERE IS NO "MR." OR "MRS. RIGHT" WAITING FOR THEIR CHANCE TO SAVE YOU.
  • YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN SAVE YOURSELF, AND YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE CAPABLE OF PUTTING IN EFFORT TOWARDS THAT.
  • CHANGE IS MEASURED IN WEEKS, MONTHS AND YEARS. NEVER LOSE FAITH.
  • YOU ARE ALIVE, YOU ARE IN MOTION, YOU ARE MADE TO PERSIST AND TO SURVIVE.
  • SELF-PITY IS COMFORTING AND FAMILIAR. IT IS A NATURAL REACTION TO TRAUMA AND STRESS, BUT THE LONGER YOU SPEND IN YOUR HOLE THE DEEPER IT WILL GET AND THE HARDER IT WILL BE TO GET OUT.
  • BROADEN YOUR HORIZONS AS BEST YOU CAN. THE GRASS MIGHT NOT BE GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE, BUT THAT JUST MEANS YOU'LL HAVE AT LEAST SOMETHING FAMILIAR IN AN UNFAMILIAR LAND.
  • FINALLY, LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FRIENDS. LOVE YOUR FLAWS AND LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES, AND ALWAYS SPREAD KINDNESS WHEREVER YOU GO. WE LIVE IN A TERRIBLE WORLD AND IT'S OUR DUTY TO BRING A RAY OF SUNSHINE WITH US.

i honestly don't know if this text/rant will help at all, but I still do truly hope it does. Best of luck, friend.
-smeg

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

ramble time

maintaining hope is probably one of the most important things you can do in any shitty situation. still, one thing that I think would help a lot of disillusioned/lonely people is realizing that most likely, there is no "right one", at least not in the sense that anyone will ever find their perfect dream partner.
OFC hope is healthy, but in my experience every steady and successful relationship (that I've witnessed, at least) is built, at least partially, on compromise.
it can be small things like "where are we grabbing lunch today" or it can be pretty huge stuff, like forgoing your romantic preferences (at least partially) because...​

1. A: the potential partner makes up for it with other positive attributes.
  2. B: finding that perfect guy or gal simply turns out to be impossible, so you'll either stay alone or "settle" (god i hate that word) for the best viable candidate.
  3. C: desperation has really messed you up.
  4. D: some wonderful combo of all of the above.

i guess one important thing you could do would be ranking your preferences/requirements from say 1-5, with 1 being negligible importance and 5 being no compromise. then just try to write a list in this order and see if it gives you a new POV on dating.
while it might not help at all, at least you'll have a real honest-to-god list that shows you what's the most and least important to you in a partner, which might also help with self-reflection.

would you, for example, be willing to date an immensely kind but airheaded geek with no cooking skills whatsoever?
an athlete that fulfills every criteria except the geekiness but has to spend 8+ hours at the gym every day so he can compete?

essentially, this is where you rank your preferences. think about it long and hard, then figure out what you'd be willing to compromise.

OFC at the slightest hint of mental/physical/social abuse just hightail it and don't look back

(you seem smart so you probably knew that. still, just in case.)

anway, back to compromising.
even with 7+billion people on this horrid lump of stone and salt water the chance of anybody finding that perfect partner they've been dreaming about is microscopically low.

OFC it's not impossible, it's just very, very improbable.

even if you find someone initially great there's a very real chance they'll change for the worse during the relationship.
there's a very real chance that the weekly lunch place arguments and petty squabbles over minor shit just gets too much for either of you to handle.
relationships can really crash and burn in the most horrifying ways, and sadly heartbreak is as large a part of romance as love is.
however, heartbreak is as integral to romance as the first nervous kiss you ever had

so, what do? how compromise?

1. group dates/hangouts are less risky etc. (probably old hat).
  2. trust your gut. if a prospective date is sus, better safe than sorry. your instincts have developed for millions of years so getting iffy about someone is your body subconsciously warning you that you might be in danger.
  3. most importantly realize that there will most likely be nobody perfect, and the highest most people can shoot for is someone "GOOD ENOUGH".
  4. "GOOD ENOUGH" does not mean "BAD", it just means that they fulfill enough important criteria to be worth dating. our culture inundates us since childhood with the beautiful lie that everyone has a perfect soulmate who is just waiting for the right moment to appear and save you from yourself, despite what ANYONE in ANY dating scene would say to the contrary.
  5. if you make a compromise for someone, you are completely justified to expect that they'll do the same to you.
  6. in this kind of relationship communication is KEY. you've made it very clear that you have a hard time talking sometimes, but if you don't even get that little crumb of courtesy from others you'll dodge a bullet by leaving ASAP.
  7. i know autism makes it very hard to connect with people and even harder to tell what they are thinking (i grew up with the same blessing) and you've made it clear you need time alone. this is completely normal and nothing to be ashamed of, but it is worth bringing up to a prospective partner. if i was dating someone and thinking everything was going well I'd probably be taken aback at best and spiral into neurosis at worst if my partner told me they "need some time alone" without further elaboration.

fuck you smeg, I'm still alone and nothing you said has helped!

this is probably the most important thing I can say:
"alone" doesn't have to mean "lonely".

yes, affection is a deep-seated need, but even that is possible to unlearn. it's last-ditch, it's unpleasant, but if there truly is no light at the end of the tunnel it can be a very good way to protect yourself from further stress and pain.

there's a whole world out there with streets you've never walked, you have instant access to the world's largest information database at your fingertips, there's wonderful books and exquisite art and all kinds of groovy chemicals just waiting to be experienced.
2 kids and a picket fence isn't the be-all-end-all our culture conditions us into striving towards.

you have the world at your fingertips and cobblestones under your shoe soles, why not just walk?
it doesn't matter where you're going or why you're leaving, what matters is that you're still alive and still in motion.
keep learning, keep living, keep moving. those "men" who treated you like a disposable toy are swine and animals, but even those scars will eventually fade and heal and turn into memories.

some "people" are like sharks or bloodhounds. the moment they smell your insecurity and uncertainty they'll pounce so they can use you for their own gain.
however, the moment you can proudly say "I love myself and all that I am" with true conviction and confidence in your heart - they'll have no power over you anymore.

of course, self-love isn't just a switch you can flick on and off, it's a painful, grueling journey (unless you were lucky enough to be born with it) and it's a journey that never ends, but as long as you take it one day at a time and cherish every successful day as a minor victory you'll be there before you know it.

TIPS!

• lift weights, run, swim, take cold showers and hot sauna baths. martial arts are very good to learn.
  • read, write, draw, make crafts, paint, do anything that lets you compile your thoughts and burn your negativity as fuel.
  • if you don't know how to cook, learn how to do so and eat healthy. your body will thank you, your gut will thank you, you'll feel reborn.
  • write down a list of your positive traits and don't allow your negative side to interject for even a second.
  • if you have habits you're ashamed of, do your best to eliminate them, but don't fall into shame because of a minor setback.
  • if life seems overbearingly difficult, make a to-do list with normal everyday activities (going to work on time, working out, cooking something nice, learning something new, the sky's your limit) and reward yourself with something small after a certain amount of tasks.
  • if you feel sad, take out the note with your positive traits and remind yourself that while your brain feels like it's conspiring against you, it's just terrified of being out of it's comfort zone, and that you are holding a legitimate document that proves that no matter what your mind is trying to tell you, you are neither hopeless or a failure.
  • never compare yourself to others. we are as numerous as we are unique, and cherry-picking your own worst sides so you can compare them to the best sides others exhibit is pointless, counterproductive and damaging.

TL;DR
  • LEARN TO LOVE YOURSELF, LEARN TO LOVE YOUR FLAWS.
  • TRY TO MAKE A MINOR IMPROVEMENT IN YOUR LIFE EVERY DAY.
  • BEING ALONE DOES NOT EQUAL BEING LONELY.
  • THERE IS NO "MR." OR "MRS. RIGHT" WAITING FOR THEIR CHANCE TO SAVE YOU.
  • YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN SAVE YOURSELF, AND YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE CAPABLE OF PUTTING IN EFFORT TOWARDS THAT.
  • CHANGE IS MEASURED IN WEEKS, MONTHS AND YEARS. NEVER LOSE FAITH.
  • YOU ARE ALIVE, YOU ARE IN MOTION, YOU ARE MADE TO PERSIST AND TO SURVIVE.
  • SELF-PITY IS COMFORTING AND FAMILIAR. IT IS A NATURAL REACTION TO TRAUMA AND STRESS, BUT THE LONGER YOU SPEND IN YOUR HOLE THE DEEPER IT WILL GET AND THE HARDER IT WILL BE TO GET OUT.
  • BROADEN YOUR HORIZONS AS BEST YOU CAN. THE GRASS MIGHT NOT BE GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE, BUT THAT JUST MEANS YOU'LL HAVE AT LEAST SOMETHING FAMILIAR IN AN UNFAMILIAR LAND.
  • FINALLY, LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FRIENDS. LOVE YOUR FLAWS AND LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES, AND ALWAYS SPREAD KINDNESS WHEREVER YOU GO. WE LIVE IN A TERRIBLE WORLD AND IT'S OUR DUTY TO BRING A RAY OF SUNSHINE WITH US.

i honestly don't know if this text/rant will help at all, but I still do truly hope it does. Best of luck, friend.
-smeg

Firstly, I have no idea why I didn't get a notification, so I only noticed your reply by chance, via scrolling through/clicking on random threads haha. Secondly, HOLY- where do I even start?

Before I go off on my own ramble, I'd like to say that while going through your reply, all I could think of was "DANG! If someone would've told me all this years ago, I most likely wouldn't have gone through so much relationship abuse/trauma, if at all."

But now onto my own ramble

I realize that there will most likely never be anyone that has 100% of what I'm looking for, in terms of relationship goals and stuff like that (I have given up on that, in fact), but there are still qualities to me that are a "MUST" for me, due to several reasons that you've mentioned, and that I have in my other comment in the thread, and some personal. (And some that I will mention in a bit.)

I like the idea of listing/ranking things to compromise on, and I wonder why I never thought about doing that myself, since I've always had a thing for writing lists of various things haha. xD

The sad thing is, back when I first started out dating, I will admit that I WAS desperate (keep in mind that I was a young teenager then, and was way less "mature", and therefore I didn't know as much like I do now, if that makes sense) because for one thing, I was sick of being "different" from the majority of other people, especially girls my age at the time, and I just really struggled with accepting my diagnosis back then, so I thought that I HAD to date, in order to appear more "normal." (I despise the word normal, because to me, there is no such thing, but I'm sure you understand my point.)

"So Okami, you didn't really love them in the first place? Then why date them then?"
Short-ish answer: Some I WAS genuinely in love with (the very few non-abusive ones, of course) but...how the heck do I put it into words? Some of them felt...forced. I was (and still am, to a degree) one of those people that have a very difficult time saying "no" to others, because I hate seeing & hearing people upset. I have been/am trying to work on that, but with the anxiety, well, you can imagine...
Looking back, I wish I would've had more of a "spine", and more common sense. I'd like to tell my younger self a lot of things, especially not to worry about what others think, and to quit trying to be "popular" and stop trying to feel like you need to be like everybody else. Don't let people peer-pressure you into doing stuff you're not comfortable with, and you know (or at least have a slight feeling) that something is off.

I can definitely relate when it comes to dating someone that was nice at first, but turned into (pardon my bluntness) an a-hole. Or at the very least, obnoxious to the point where I just couldn't deal with it anymore.

I can agree somewhat when it comes to heartbreak being integral, because (and it might sound weird, but bare with me) personally I feel like if I wouldn't have experienced said heartbreak, I wouldn't have grown as a person, and I still would've been naive, y'know? But on the other hand, if it happened so many times, I don't see how it would be. (But that's just me.)

I've tried to do better when it comes to communicating, but unless it's interest related and/or someone asks me something, or someone (like you did) starts conversation first, I'm pretty much at a loss, other than the stereotypical "Hey, how are ya?" type stuff. I've always been bad at small-talk, and because of the Autism & social anxiety, I mostly have a hard time starting conversations. Plus add the fact that I always worry that I'll bore or bother someone, or that I won't make sense to them, or I fear that I'll get judged, so there's that. A lot of people have asked me how I could have so much trouble making friends & starting conversations, when (in their words) I'm one of the most nicest & polite people they've spoken with, but I really don't have a clear cut answer other than what I previously mentioned, and the fact that I also struggle with coming up with things to talk about.

There are times where I do indeed need to be alone for awhile, because after "absorbing" all the daily stress, all I want to do is attempt to relax and try to forget about what's stressing me out/bothering me at the time. (Which in most cases is easier said than done, especially since Covid happened.) Thankfully most of my friends are understanding, though I do feel bad sometimes when I haven't replied/talked to certain ones in so long.
Being what some people call an Empath, I absorb other people's stress, anger, & sadness, so if I'm around someone for too long who is experiencing any of those emotions, I end up either having an anxiety attack, or a stress-related meltdown (which for those who don't know what they are, it's hard for me to explain in words, especially since they're so different for everyone who experiences them, but in my case, picture an anxiety attack, only...different. Not sure how else to describe.), so I try to "isolate" myself so I don't have to worry about them happening. Of course I care about people's well being & such, but I also care about my own, so if needing a break is what's gonna help me, you can bet I'm gonna do it. Might sound selfish, but that's just the way it is. I also try to delve into/focus on my interests & hobbies as a way to cope with stuff & to relax, but it does not always work, depending. I do try to let people know that I need to be alone for awhile, for whatever reason, but sometimes the anxiety (or anger, or sadness, depending) is too great, and I'm not able to respond to people until things tide over, and I'm finally relaxed again.

I struggle with liking & loving myself due to the many diagnosis' I have (and other reasons that I don't want to go int0), and how much they make me struggle with every day things that would be so easy for most people, but I wouldn't say that I hate myself. Not anymore, anyway. Do I wish I didn't have my diagnosis'? Well, if someone were to ask me in my teen years, I would've said heck yes. But after talking with others who've dealt with similar stuff, and finding some support, I no longer hate them as a whole; I just hate the negative parts. Sure certain aspects have gotten better over the years (heck, I never thought I'd be having full-on conversations like this even 2 years ago) but I still feel like I have a lot to improve on. But it's as you said (though I'm putting my own spin on it :P ), change doesn't happen right away, and even the "little" success's should be celebrated & appreciated.

So to end things off, I thank you for the tips/advice.
You've given me a new perspective on certain things, and have made me think.

first off, thanks for reading that absolute rambling monstrosity lol. i wouldn't really take advice from myself without a huge chunk of salt but eh, that's as much of a disclaimer as i have the energy to post. i relate to a lot of the stuff you've written, dating with autism has been kinda ass at best so i don't really "believe" in dating that much anymore. still, that's my lived experience and my truth and it might very well not apply to you.

and ofc i drop terms like "self love" and kinda imply i have it all figured out but this is as much a reminder and reinforcement to myself as it is a rambly pseudo-helpful text

The sad thing is, back when I first started out dating, I will admit that I WAS desperate (keep in mind that I was a young teenager then, and was way less "mature", and therefore I didn't know as much like I do now, if that makes sense) because for one thing, I was sick of being "different" from the majority of other people, especially girls my age at the time, and I just really struggled with accepting my diagnosis back then, so I thought that I HAD to date, in order to appear more "normal."

honestly pretty much this, after i secured a job and moved out on my own i automatically saw dating as the next logical step which led to some pretty harmful headtripping

I can agree somewhat when it comes to heartbreak being integral, because (and it might sound weird, but bare with me) personally I feel like if I wouldn't have experienced said heartbreak, I wouldn't have grown as a person, and I still would've been naive, y'know? But on the other hand, if it happened so many times, I don't see how it would be. (But that's just me.)

i think this is a pretty important thing that people preaching about the necessity of pain/negative feelings in life miss, while a small amount can be good, a learning experience, living your life in constant pain (or ending up heartbroken after every single relo) is just too much and will only cause harm

eh, I disagree with it all being pheromones as said by a few people above. It can work out that way for some people, but like, you'll realize not everyone has the same interior. I don't think it's bad to be driven by what you find attractive, rather, I think people to some extent can't help what traits they value most/are most attractive to them... but everyone is different.

for me, honestly, physical attractiveness isn't my number one priority. i'm not someone whose like... super driven by that in general, when it comes to real people. not fun to admit, but most people leave about the same impression for me and I guess I'd say valuing someone on physical attractiveness is not an easy task for me because... like... appearances don't mean much. I don't even mean that in just some 'high and mighty' moralistic way, but rather... uh, most people leave the same impression on me, appearance wise. it's not that I'm above caring about such things, rather, it's impossible for me to. that function in me is broken, i guess.

so it really does come to personality and whether I can get along with someone... I don't find I get along with a lot of people, certainly not to the extent of wanting to be with them or ask them out on a date? there's people who I love as friends, who I'd never date because I know we don't mesh in certain ways personality-wise for example.

hm. for me, I think... being 'open' - someone who is harsh, dismissive, etc... is hard for me to deal with. so being open, being honest and being easygoing are the ones for me. i don't need people to be radically easygoing, but I do need them to not fly off the handle at a small bit of stress. if I feel someone is judgmental or forceful, I quickly withdraw and I don't think I could have an honest, earnest relationship with them. I guess it depends how openly I feel I can tell them my opinion, whether it's about not wanting to do something or just liking something different from them.

oh, and I would have to share some kind of interests with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back