What is your all-time favorite scene that hit you in the feels?

Toradora

Christmas episode when Taiga finally realizes her feelings and runs out crying, only to find the street outside empty.

And that's just one scene in the show.

"But I don't..........want that.......................Ryuuuuugi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Yeah that's a pretty big one for me as well.

For me it's tough.........cause I love torturing myself with that kind of stuff.

My favorite is probably what comes to my mind 1st everytime I think of this kind of thing.............

From Clannad..........
After Tomoya neglected Ushio for the majority of her life, spent the day with her and bought her a robot toy at random not really caring. And then Ushio loses it in the grass, and after Tomoya urges her to give up and by another one, she says something along the lines of....

"it's the only one.................FIRST THING FROM PAPA"

I still remember my reaction the 1st time that line dropped, I was marathoning the show so it already had me kind of ........off. The build up was perfect, I had a good idea were it was going, and when the line actually dropped, I had a rather powerful sniffling inhale, I was watching alone, so lots of shameless tears were all over my face..

It's my most memorable reaction to a scene........

I was marathoning the show so it already had me kind of ........off.
The best way to watch it. Hits the feels much more than watching couple episodes every now and then.
I rewatched it while ago. Both seasons non stop. Almost got me crying and that's something.

I have to say that I'm kind of struggling. I do get choked up sometimes, but it's usually when there's been a really good build up to a happy occurrence rather than a sad one. The last episode of LWA is a good example.

Though after really thinking about it, it's a comedy show that springs into my mind. Martian Successor Nadesico
When Guy Daigoji gets killed totally out the blue and completely unceremoniously, with how he's established as a character it's one of the most ill fitting deaths for a person I can think of.

And there's a few from LOGH, but that just feels like cheating.

Oh, and Rose of Versailles
Oscar storms the Bastille in probably the most badass scene anime had ever seen at that point, then dies shortly after. It didn't matter that we'd spent 2/3 of the anime knowing that she was seriously ill, she deserved a long and happy life. More so than any other person in that entire show.

The one that really got me hard was from Monster.
Wolfgang Grimmer's death is such a bittersweet moment, because it's only when he's about to die that he regains enough of his humanity to be able to mourn for his daughter. When he's finally able to shed tears for her, it had me all choked up.

There are others, but this one will always be special because it's the first time an anime really did something that touched me that deeply. It's not a totally sad moment, but it's heartbreaking the lengths the character had to go to be able to experience such a basic and necessary human emotion.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

When Yang Wenli died.

God fucking damn, no character death, has ever hit me as hard, and destroyed me on the inside as much as that. I was left fucking stunned for hours, and couldn't believe it.
It is one of the few times an anime has left me practically gaping from subverted expectations.
tumblr_inline_n43lsdawcS1rq48id.png

I really can't go without mentioning this one, but one, that comes as close to my favorite and 2nd is

Kaiji

Ishida's silent fall to his death. It just gets so goddamn intense there, on those beams, and then it simply, just happens, he's gone. I'd say, that's probably always going to be the most powerful moment in the entire series for me, and the fact he just dies whilst holding it in, is what makes it hit even harder. Ishida was a true fucking bro to the end.

Now, I have to re-watch that episode.
Yeah, one of the heavies things to imagine doing oneself in that scenario, too.
Hell, it later fed into
Kaiji later losing against the boss, which made me rail against Kaiji for being such a cocky moron that he'd break his promise to Ishida. He had the money, he could have shared with Ishida's wife as was the guy's wish, but ya blew it up, Kaiji!
I love it from a narrative standpoint when it comes to character flaw, though.

Welcome to the NHK

Sato trying to talk Misaki out of committing suicide. Gets me every time.
What really gets me in that scene is
Misaki's eyes when he grabs her before she can fall. They didn't say anything, nothing on the nose, yet that look so heavily conveyed how most people who survive suicide attempts of that nature describe how they almost instantly regretted it and wished they could take it back.
Most suicide attempts are entirely spontaneous, and can be averted simply by measures that make it slightly more of a hassle to go through with.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naruto
Music is key to a lot of anime, and the original season of Naruto had some of the best customized tracks of any anime. Toshiro Masuda deserves more work in the industry.
The Hokage's funeral got me real emotional when I was younger, and the soundtrack is still legitimately great.
It's also one of the few times Naruto as a series really properly acknowledged the terrible human cost in the big badass action scenes.
One of the things that made Shippuden unable to measure up, in my opinion, was that it never really did this again.
Did I mention how great Masuda is?

Hotarubi no Mori e
It's weirdly satisfying when a movie can make you cry even when you kinda predicted the ending.
Tears were streaming when he started disappearing. And the way it seemingly symbolized the end of childhood really freaking got me due to my life circumstances at the time.

One Piece
Oh, several to be emotional over, but the one that still gets me when I rewatch it [read: I'm actually tearing up yet again upon rewatching the scene] would have to be
Going Merry's funeral. Still fucks me up. Definitely one of Mayumi Tanaka's best emotional performances in the series. In fact, very few VAs are as good as her at doing the voice for inelegant blubbering.
I've talked about this scene before, but it really left a mark .I was shifting through the One Piece OST for tracks I could download and put in my D&D playlist, but when I unexpectedly hit the track for that scene tears started building after just a couple notes.
dDnCPDS.gif

Quite the appropriate visualization.

Gintama
"Beware Of Food You Pick Up Off The Ground" + "Cat Lovers And Dog Lovers Are Mutually Exclusive"

This is actually the most emotional an anime has ever gotten me. I am not kidding. When the first episode of the "kintaro arc" started, I didn't even like it. I thought it would be one of those arcs annoyingly focusing on some one-off characters that wouldn't ever matter, and whom just distracted from the funnier main cast.
However, by the end of episode 130 I was a blubbering mess! I was literally hugging a pillow to stifle my sobbing and dry off my red-puffed cheeks.
It was almost laughable in how few probably thought episode was anywhere near as sad as I did,
*takes break from writing to wash face*
but I saw the episode when I was struggling a lot emotionally in early-mid 2012.
I had withdrawn a lot from the world to try to pick up the pieces of my life after the disaster that was 2011, and I was fighting the downwards spiral of my depression at the time.
The thing about depression is that most of the time it just leaves you emotionally numb, not "sad". I had a lot of problems finding joy in the things that would make me feel joyous, and I struggled with even the concept of something like crying from a sad movie.
I found a lot of joy in watching Gintama, and after a hundred episodes it certainly got me to lower my guard.
And then it just suddenly struck and wrenched open the flood gates. I had the first good cry in about a whole freaking year.
In many ways I think it marked the start of my real mental recovery for the time to come after, though I didn't realize it at the time.

"I win. Because... you made your buddy cry, buddy."
Excuse me, I just had a sudden case of onions, spontaneous allergies and throat injury all at once. brb. washing my face again.

I rarely get emotional, but when I do it hits hard. Two times that stick out are more about the build to the moment, when the moment is emotional but it needed the whole series to make it such a gut punch. Basically, the last episodes of Angel Beats! and Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day really got to me emotionally. Anohana honestly probably got an extra point when I scored it just because of how well its emotional ending got to me. Angel Beats! was a show I tried even though I don't usually like the genre but quickly became a top 5 favorite anime and its last episode worked so well building off the entire series and ending it on a really bittersweet episode.

For big emotional single moments, a series that did that very well was Akame Ga Kill

Rarely was a whole episode sad, but every time one of the main characters died it was really intense and emotional.

But, if I can pick one single, really big gut punch moment, it was in FMA (the original, not Brotherhood)

The reveal of Nina's fate was a shock. A very sad moment, but unlike the other moments I mentioned the sadness was really only second to the legitimate horror of the scene. The scene really works the best in the original FMA anime because her role is expanded from what Brotherhood (and presumably the manga) does with her.

Basically, the last episodes of Angel Beats!. Angel Beats! was a show I tried even though I don't usually like the genre but quickly became a top 5 favorite anime and its last episode worked so well building off the entire series and ending it on a really bittersweet episode.
The episode
with the flashback of the MC (forgot his name) and his sister, and especially the part where he died just seconds before help came
were much more emotional to me.

Oh, I just remembered a scene from Chrono Crusade.

If ya haven't watched the series, know that the following is a proper series spoiler.
The final scene that ends the series. Chrono & Rosette dying together as the sun sets and her time finally runs out. I felt it was an honest scene and ending to the series. No loophole, no special circumstance that would change the original deal made. And it was handled nicely.

Ah... I was going to toss in a youtube video of the scene, but it's just best for those that know the scene remember it as they saw it. Slight differences between the dub/sub, but both voice acted quite well.
If you've seen the series, you likely don't even have to click the spoiler tag.

Death Parade
Chiyuki pleading with Decim. Given that she didn't actually expect Decim to push the button, she was finally airing her own grief over the unresolved feelings she'd left behind on her mother, and her own inability to take another life for her own selfish gains.

Death note ep 9
L's entry-L sitting behind light in the exam Hall.

i guess the last chapter in pandora hearts? that one totally destroyed me...
nothing better than a better alternate reality where your choices led to a happy ending that you'll never achieve.

Geez, I'm tearing up just from reading this thread.

Code Geass
The final episode of the second season absolutely destroyed me. I totally saw it coming, but somehow just witnessing Lelouch sacrifice himself like that made me cry so much.

Fushigi Yugi
Nuriko's death. I don't even know why, but I cried so hard. Weird thing is, I very vividly remember crying over it, but not much about what actually happened...

Gintama
Of all the many times this anime has made me cry, one particularly stuck with me.
When Kagura was doing radio exercises for the whole summer with a boy who was ill. It had me crying buckets, and I'm pretty sure it was only half an episode long.

From Clannad After Story:
Tomoya and Usio's trip to the countryside together when she loses the toy that he gave her, when he tells her about her mother, and when Usio dies later.

From Dusk Maiden of Amnesia:
When Yuko is fading away and passing on they're using the notebook to communicate and "Requiem" is playing.

Last edited:
I've had a few moments where I felt really strongly about a few scenes.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

When Homura hugs Madoka in feeling how she is unable to protect Madoka time and time again across the 100's of timelines where she's tried to save Madoka's life and prevent her from dying or turning into a Witch and crying in Madoka's arms as she confesses how strongly she cares for Madoka and wants to protect her

Then there are a lot of moments in Naruto, a few of them stand out to me overall.

Learning Gaara's past which was similar to Naruto's. The sand he was born with which was a result of his Mother's love, and not just Shukaku prevents him from feeling physical pain, and for such a long time, he didn't understand what it was like to be hurt physically, but his heart was always hurting from being mistreated. And looked to his uncle for guidance to understand what he was feeling.

The rejection he experiences is heartbreaking on it's own, and then later the assassination attempt he had turned out to be his own Uncle which says he never loved Gaara before. And was the result of his own Father ordering the Assassination, which his uncle volunteered to take on. After injuring his uncle in self-defense and later killing him, it's no wonder that he takes the World view he has at the time and imprints the tattoo meaning "love" on his Forehead, to represent how he decided to only love himself, as no one else would love him.

Then later when we learn Kimimaro's past. Despite his terminal illness, he is able to will his body to move to support Orochimaru, who was the only person who accepted and seemed to care for him. Even understanding that Orochimaru only valued Kimimaro himself for his Kekkei Genkai ability. He wanted to be useful and accepted. Even if the person who accepted him had ill intentions. And it really shows through the fight with Naruto/Rock Lee/Gaara how much Kimimaro values this. The music during that scene was really sad which enhanced the effect.

tumblr_n47o8wRl3d1qhd3vno1_500.gif
It's amazing how they actually created that entire song just for that scene!

The lyrics just make it more heartwrenching.

A light breeze gently blows in
Blow into my heart
my goddess of fortune!
Beyond the blue sky
there lies the eternal sea within my soul
With one bolt of lightning
you will know of my legend
Whenever you think of me, I shall always whisper
On the surface of the blue sky
There lies the eternal sea within my soul
Wherever you go
Wherever I go
My love lies deep within your life
My love remains in your days
It takes just one of your smiles
One single smile
My soul shall never die. It is immortal!
It is no use shedding tears for me​

To mention a more recent example, I think the saddest moment of the year was:

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen

Yakumo's death. The book end and send off, to his character, I can only describe it as pure majestic perfection to me, and poetic. I can't think of a moment this year so far, that had the same emotional impact on me. Bon is just such an amazing character, flaws, and everything. It really was an absolutely incredible and memorable journey, every step of the way with the guy.

Last edited:
Back