What, for you, turns an anime bad?

Everyone has their own set of standards. Mine aren't high or anything. I have certain red flags... one of them you already know, so it's pointless to mention.

But in normal anime, I do have another set of standards
1. Entertainment. Regardless of quality of writing and characters, a boring series is completely useless to me. I have to be entertained by something, and if it fails to do that, then whatever qualities it does have is not worth my time
2. Inconsistencies. You see, there's two types of inconsistencies. Plot inconsistencies, which vary on how bad they are, and character inconsistencies which are a little more subjective. However, when you watch a show enough, you get a feel for characters and you understand what they would or wouldn't do. And it's going to annoy you when you're favorite character doesn't behave the way you know them to be
3. Characters. I don't demand every single character be totally unique or totally interesting. But they must have enough charisma to carry the show. They can be a little generic, and that's not enough to kill the show. As long as they don't have a boring personalities, I'm fine

Me looking at the timer after a long while, and realizing that it's only been about 10 minutes. If this happens after episode 5 or so, then I drop the series. As to what makes a series bad, a lot of things.

When a show has bad animation for multiple episodes in a row.
When a show is unintentionally incoherent for multiple episodes in a row.
When a show is an obvious power fantasy turned up to eleven with a dumb plot.
When a show is supposed to be a comedy yet doesn't actually try to be funny.
When a show parodies something by doing the same thing without any changes.
When a show has too many underdeveloped characters on screen all the time.
When a show is not smart, eventful, action-filled, funny, interesting nor entertaining.
When a show doesn't bother to move the plot forward during most it's run and rushes the ending.
When a show continuously uses rape in scenes that are supposed to be fanservice.
When a show is trying to look deep and smart but actually is anything but.
When a show has a love interest without any personality or development taking lots of screentime.
When a show has a subdued submissive lead character surrounded by rape-y sadistic characters.
When a show doesn't even try to be good at all.
When a show goes in a illogical direction undoing everything good about it.
When a show has most time spend on the one-note main character without characterizing him.
When a show simply does not have enough yuri.
When a show blows things way out of proportion for drama in a way that no normal human being would.
When a show acts all self aware without being even close to being funny.
When a show makes fun of itself not being funny despite being a comedy anime.
When a show gives everyone ever a backstory just to fill up airing time between plotoints without making it lot relevant.
When a show is too scared to pick the incest route yet also too scared to pick the non incest route and you end up with a nobody is happy route by the finalle.
When a show makes characters do irrational out of established character things.
When a show has lead characters that we are supposed to like but that have no redeemable features.
When a show decides that having a completely out of place character design for the main character is a good idea.
When a show has so much filler that you can barely follow the main plot.
When a show has useless baggage main characters that you are supposed to like and somehow everybody likes them in the the show itself.
When a show has absolutely no point in existing due to lack of original idea's.
When a show is in an established franchise yet changes the entire cast and makes it into a wish fulfilment show.
When a show pulls the most unlikely of unexplainable ass-pulls over and over again.
When a show is seemingly a realistic take on something and then becomes more and more bulshit as it goes on.
When a show runs out of plot halfway through its run and pads out most of its run and then ends with 1 episode of sequel hook plot.
When a show is just a bunch of characters talking about action taking place for no good reason.
When a show is about girls peeing themselves over and over again.
When a show uses techno-colours on it's characters and doesn't bother shading them.
When a show has a loud-mouthed stupid lead with no redeemable qualities other than ''being motivated''

wUYWwPo.png

When a show is not smart, eventful, action-filled, funny, interesting nor entertaining.
When a show doesn't bother to move the plot forward during most it's run and rushes the ending.
When a show continuously uses rape in scenes that are supposed to be fanservice.
When a show has a love interest without any personality or development taking lots of screentime.
When a show has a subdued submissive lead character surrounded by rape-y sadistic characters.
When a show has most time spend on the one-note main character without characterizing him.
When a show blows things way out of proportion for drama in a way that no normal human being would.
When a show gives everyone ever a backstory just to fill up airing time between plotoints without making it lot relevant.
When a show is too scared to pick the incest route yet also too scared to pick the non incest route and you end up with a nobody is happy route by the finalle.
When a show has lead characters that we are supposed to like but that have no redeemable features.
When a show decides that having a completely out of place character design for the main character is a good idea.
When a show has useless baggage main characters that you are supposed to like and somehow everybody likes them in the the show itself.
When a show is in an established franchise yet changes the entire cast and makes it into a wish fulfilment show.
When a show pulls the most unlikely of unexplainable ass-pulls over and over again.
When a show is seemingly a realistic take on something and then becomes more and more bulshit as it goes on.
When a show runs out of plot halfway through its run and pads out most of its run and then ends with 1 episode of sequel hook plot.
When a show is just a bunch of characters talking about action taking place for no good reason.
When a show uses techno-colours on it's characters and doesn't bother shading them.
When a show has a loud-mouthed stupid lead with no redeemable qualities other than ''being motivated''

wUYWwPo.png
giphy.gif

There ain't enough room in this forum for me to list all the little annoyances that can turn an anime bad to me.

Nice list Etue. Nice Space Brothers/Samumenco/Diabolik Lovers/etc references in there too.

Also, the things that make an anime bad for me are likely the ones that make it good for OP.

Not really too strict on that

Agreed, you'd need to be SUPER entertaining to make me forgive that

It can be done in a fun way, but agreed.

When a show parodies something by doing the same thing without any changes..
Panty and Stocking?

When a show has too many underdeveloped characters on screen all the time..
Depends... long as the main ones are okay

When a show is not smart, eventful, action-filled, funny, interesting nor entertaining..
agreed

It can be sexy

I disagree, I think that can be interesting and sexy

As long as it's not yaoi... I'm fine. I have standards....
Now excuse me while I beat off to some yuri loli incest hentai

I skip them

It could be interesting if you give it a chance

It's bad when any of the following apply at the same time:

-I hate the characters
-It's too depressing
-It's boring
-It's annoying
-It's offensive
-It's a romantic tragedy, I don't like them
-It has too much filler or recapping
-It's Incomplete and leaves the story unfinished
-It has a reset button ending
-It has an "open ending"
-It has a "whoops we ran out of ink" ending ala NGE
-The art style physically hurts my eyes to watch (Kaidohmaru, Oreshura)
-Excessive character death
-Massive amounts of wasted potential
-If it's a comedy and it's not funny
-It's a fanservice show, and it's too overt or not my fetish

Last edited:

LOL! I'm not sure why I find the image more amusing than your list itself -steals-

When it starts smoking and hanging around with a questionable crowd.

Or when it has a midlife crisis and decides cooking meth will solve all its problems.

-I hate the characters
-It's too depressing
-It's annoying
-It's Incomplete and leaves the story unfinished
-It has a reset button ending
-It has an "open ending"
-It has a "whoops we ran out of ink" ending ala NGE
-Excessive character death
-Massive amounts of wasted potential

Evangelion isn't your cup of tea, is it?

1) When there is some little kidish character running around doing dumb shit.
ex: that little fox in inuyasha
ex 2: kon and those little dolls

2) Filler Ark
This would be ok if they weren't technically filler and appeared after to the continue the show. But nothing is more annoying then when the main characters are in some crazy predicament, then all the sudden its back to before anything happened for 20 episodes and some whole other conflict happens.

3) Terrible fight sequences.

4) Poorly designed evil characters.

5) When side characters don't get enough attention.

6)Poorly displayed emotions about situations.

Evangelion isn't your cup of tea, is it?
True, the series definitely isn't. I do like the rebuild movies so far though and I enjoyed the general concept of apocalyptic mech show put into other forms such as RahXephon and Fafner. My beef with it lies more with Gainax though, which ruins all that it touches. I still have yet to see anything from them that I was completely satisfied with.

Honestly said, I dont see inconsistencies nor do I notice animation errors.

My biggest turn off is being annoyed on the main characters, even when the show itself is great it usually ruins my mood.
Such as weak main characters, mentally and/or physically or those fall down when chased moments. And main characters with too much morals ''dont kill them, sure they killed all my friends and the village, but they are basicly the same as us''. Or those who dont tell their friends important information / speak in riddles which leads to misunderstandings or even pointless deaths / stalling.

A combination of several flaws that I find with:
Story
Animation
Art
Sound
Characters

For story it could be something like an excessive use of retcons, a needlessly slow plot, a lack of consistency or logic, something that isn't particularity interesting, a really bad ending, etc.

For animation, we could have a poor budget, sloppy movement, inconsistent movement styles, no or little animation for extended periods of time, lip movement fails, etc.

As far as art goes, flaws I find here could contain things such as inconsistent art styles, poor character designs, lack of background details, terrible art in general, etc.

Sound will probably vary for most people as we all have different music tastes, but to name a few things I would hate. Not a single track that sticks out in my mind that I love, lack of versatility, poor lip sync, a weak dub and sub, the soundtrack only existing to complement the show or moment and failing in it's ability to be enjoyed as an individual piece of entertainment, etc.

As for characters we have things such as, poor character development, no backstories, unneeded characters, stupid character motivations, large male or female cast with no balance for no reason, etc.

Being a pokemon/digimon/yugioh clone that populates the morning block of channels like cartoon network.

Usually for me the primary thing that makes me declare an anime bad is if it has loads and loads of fan service and/or is a typical harem anime. Now the exception to the former rule is if the fan service is used for comedy in the sense that the characters actively acknowledge how ridiculous it is (i.e. Kill La Kill). However, the latter is usually a big turn off for me because it is incredibly frustrating to sit through an entire show whose sole purpose it seems is to just provide sexual fantasy/fan fic material.

Although there are other things that can make me hate an anime such as the plot being/becoming nonsensical (in a non-surrealist way), the main characters being unlikeable or bland, and/or any of the characters falling victim to Power Creep (although the last one mostly applies to Shonen anime).

Back