What are your favourite old animes ?

Shows/Movies from 2009 and before that I rated at least 4 stars:

Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2009)
Soul Eater
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Appleseed
Fullmetal Alchemist The Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa
Cowboy bebop the Movie
Riding Bean
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War

Of those, FMA and Soul Eater got 5 stars. FMA I honestly think is superior to Brotherhood in basically every way, which I know is not a common opinion. For nostalgia I have to also add Dragon Ball Z, which I still really enjoy even if I know it has some problems, especially with pacing in the anime (the manga would have made it on the list, although ironically I hate DBZ Kai for cutting too much). There are also a few other shows that I like that almost make the list, but have a few too many flaws.

Ima just mention my favourite 90s shows cause most of my top 100 shows come in the 2000-2010 era.

Yu Yu Hakusho
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun

80's:
Saint Seiya
Dragon Ball
Akira
Ranma 1/2
Macross
Vampire Hunter D

90's:
Kishin Douji Zenki
Yu Yu Hakusho
Shurato
G Gundam
Gundam Wing
Zoids
Outlaw Star
Slayers
Magic Knight Rayearth
Brave Police J Decker
GaoGaiGar
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Berserk
Neo Ranga
Bt'X
Rahxephon
Yu Gi Oh
Beast Wars II
Beast Wars Neo
Big O
Medabots
Vampire Princess Miyu
Trigun

2000's:
Digimon Tamers
Digimon Frontier
Transformers Armada/Micron Legends
Transformers Cybertron/Galaxy Force
Cyborg 009 Cyborg Soldier
Hellsing/Hellsing Ultimate
Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Wolf's Rain
Trinity Blood
Chrono Crusade
Inuyasha
Samurai 7
D Gray Man
Yu Gi Oh 5Ds
Witch Hunter Robin

Way too many to list them all, but...

Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Dragon Ball Z
The Slayers Next/Try
Zeta Gundam
Gundam 0083
Armitage III
Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki
Tenchi The Movie: Tenchi Muyo! In Love
X the Movie
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross II: The Movie

EVA even though i havent finished it

Lain, Cowboy Bebop, and ghost in the shell even though i havent watched them

im a normie B)

I find this thread weird because literally ALL of my favourite anime are old. By your definition, at least.
I'd say that it's only pre-WW2 anime that are truly old. Later 40s and 50s anime old still. 60-70s rather old, but getting mainstream already. And 80s anime...old by style only.

Well, The Pumpkin Wine made me love romance anime again, so shoutouts to that show in particular.

Tbh by OP's definition of old I'm not actually sure I even have a favorite anime that would fall outside of it. I'm not a full on showahead guy who won't watch anything made after 1989 or anything like that but I think the most recent thing I'd definitively list in my top 25 is Soul Eater. I would not call that old in the slightest but it would appear I'm in the minority here.

My actual top 3 are Galaxy Express 999, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Generic taste but wcyd

Depends on how far back one considers "old" to be but as far as 2000s stuff and before some of my favorites are (in no particular order):

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Crest of the Stars
Macross (the original)
Gunbuster 1 and 2
Shiki

...there's probably more but those were the first that came to mind when glancing at my list that I'd probably still enjoy quite a bit if I watched them again.

Back