What are your favourite old animes ?

Too many. Not mentioned in the posts above (prior to 2000): Ghost in the Shell, Galaxy Express 999, Urusei Yatsura, Dr. Slump: Arale-chan, Bubblegum Crisis.

Ooo, a couple haven't been mentioned that I really liked as a teen.

Ruroni Kenshin (samurai drama/action/romance)

Tenchi Muyo (sci-fi romantic comedy with some action)

.hack//SIGN (isekai. Very dramatic. Not much action)

Zoids (animal-like mechas, the series has some very different vibes depending on which you watch but all have action elements. Very "Saturday morning cartoon" feel)

I'll probably have more to add but I'll need to look up when they aired.

Here are a few lists of my favorite 2000's & older anime. :)
https://www.anime-planet.com/users/OkamiHime95/lists/my-favorite-2000s-anime-seriesmovies-715221
https://www.anime-planet.com/users/OkamiHime95/lists/my-favorite-90s-anime-seriesmovies-715220
https://www.anime-planet.com/users/OkamiHime95/lists/my-favorite-80s-anime-seriesmovies-715318
https://www.anime-planet.com/users/OkamiHime95/lists/my-favorite-70s-anime-seriesmovies-715319
It's been a long time since I linked any of my lists, so if they don't work, let me know.

I'll have to look up if I watched anything from the 60's & older.

Edit: Yes, I've watched more than what I listed, but I only put my favorites in them. If it's not on my lists, they either weren't a favorite of mine, or I haven't watched it yet, or idk about it yet.

Last edited:
by old i guess stuff from before 2000.
some of my favorites is (not in any particular order):

Initial D
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Hokuto No Ken
Touch
Musekinin Kanchou Tylor
Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Area 88
Vision of Escaflowne
Slam Dunk
Uchuu Senkan Yamato
Patlabor
Golden Boy
Kimagure Orange Road
Maison Ikkoku
Taiho Shichau zo

Hm, for super oldies I think A Little Princess Sara (1985) was quite good, and I really enjoyed "The Wild Swans" and other old fairy tales that Toei Animation made back in the '70s and early 80s. Oh, and The Mysterious Cites of Gold was excellent.

For the 90s I really enjoyed Kodocha and Princess Mononoke, along with things like Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yugi, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

For the 2000s I especially liked Azumanga Daioh, Kino's Journey, Mushishi, and Gravitation. Oh, and the Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust movie was also good.

Last edited:
Anne of Green Gables is older than I am and it's pretty good. The show is a lot slower, but the main character Anne can really make the show into something enjoyable.

Princess Tutu is also something I consider to be a masterpiece. If you feel like something more plot-based, this is probably more of your speed.
There was an Anne of Green Gables anime? That feels so odd, but then again, not too odd, western stories have been anime'ified

thanks for this, small, but a starting point at least for the pre 90's stuff.

thanks for this, small, but a starting point at least for the pre 90's stuff.
Well, I did mention on the list info that they are works in progress, plus since I have other interests besides anime, it can take me awhile to get through stuff, especially if they're longer than 24-26 episodes.

I have watched other things from those time periods, but since I only include my favorites, why certain things aren't on those lists are either because: 1) I personally didn't care for them. 2) I have yet to discover them. 3)I haven't had the chance to watch them yet. Or 4) I simply have yet to add them, but plan on it when I have the time.

But yeah, I'm glad my lists have helped someone, even if a little bit. :)

Speaking of the Anne of Green Gables anime, that's one from my wtw list that I hope to finally watch at some point lol.

I'm big into older stuff, actually. I watched Lupin the 3rd Part 1 and Captain Harlock not too long ago and those are really good. I'm watching Dirty Pair atm and enjoying the heck out of it.

I like all works of Hayao Miyazaki.
Also

Lupin III (only seen Castle of Cagliostro)

Sherlock Hound (I have love-hate relationship with this series. Episodes directed by Miyazaki are gold, but the rest... ugh)

Around the world in 80 days with Willy Fog (better directed than the Jackie Chan movie based on the Around the World in 80 days book)

Wonderful Adventures of Nils Holgerson (one of the first series I watched from beginning to the end)

Most of them are kids' animes, but hey, they can be cool too.

As for really old anime Mirai Shounen Conan and Akage no Anne are great shows. I also loved Romeo no Aoi Sora, Saint Tail, and Cardcaptor Sakura.

I'd Say:
The Garden of Sinners Films
REC
Redline
Time of Eve
Armor Hunter Mellowlink
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Rideback
Kurokami
Kurenai
Sword of the Stranger
Freedom
Myself, Yourself
Baccano
Higurashi: When They Cry
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society
Kannon (2006)
Kemonozume
Ergo Proxy
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Paprika
Welcome to the NHK
Heroic Age
BECK
Destiny of the Shrine Maiden
Monster
They Were 11
Interlude
Portrait of Petite Cossette
Planetes
Rumbling Hearts
Blue Gender
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Infinite Ryvius
Princess Mononoke
Whisper of the Heart
Perfect Blue
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Crest of the Stars
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Banner of the Stars III
Haibane Renmei
Read or Die
Aquarian Age

During my quarantine i watched Welcome to the NHK, and i felt so involved i finished it in 2 days. maybe it was because i was quarantined in my room, but i felt really attracted to the anime and its characters. The gloomy, depressing atmosphere, i almost cried in the end. Really suggested! <3

My top picks are:
hunter-x-hunter-1-190x295.jpg

• My favorite show that was produced from 1979 - 1980 is The Rose of Versailles. I really liked the soap opera drama, and the interesting plot twists in the anime. The anime is based off real life people and events.
  • I also really liked the 90s version of Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter who share the same author. Both battle shounen series are very well written, and have a lot of action packed scenes full of suspense. The first episode of Hunter x Hunter really gives viewers insight on Gon's past and background. I also found Kurapika to be a lot more clever and witty in the 90s version (especially during the Hunter exam ark). When they remade HxH, some scenes were cut.
  • In regards to 90s anime, I really enjoyed Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yugi, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, original Digimon, and original Pokemon.
  • From the early 2000s, I liked Special A a lot since it has a good mixture of comedy, romance, and drama.

Back