Western Entertainment Clichés You Hate/Love!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Zed, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Apr 2, 2019
    We already have such two threads for anime, so we might as well get one for movies or tv series' that are from a western origin.

2. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Dislike

1. "He was only two days away from retirement." Way to cheapen the drama by adding an unnecessary level of tragedy to it.
    2. The character Katherine Heigl plays in every one of her movies. In the 2000s this archetype was used in lots of rom-coms for the strong independant woman that just couldn't balance her work and career. The role wasn't always played by Heigl, but she was the most annoying with it.

1. Training montages. Always make me pumped.

3. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Apr 2, 2019
    Hate: It's a universal trope but I see it more often in western titles: When the strong reliable female character becomes useless after she falls in love with the bland protagonist that becomes stronger quickly. Way to demote her to a house wife.

4. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Posted by Thrawn on Apr 2, 2019
    Love:

Action movie one-liners. When you do something cool, you say something cool.

Massive amounts of testosterone and question homoeroticism. 80s action movies? Manly and homoerotic. Predator? A bunch of muscular, sweaty dudes in the jungle with guns and shit setting off one-liners and explosions and quips that then gets subverted with a beast of a foe that leads to one of the most balls out awesome as fuck More Dakka moments where they unload 2424 rounds into the jungle, destroying acres of forestry, reloading and shit and just fucking shit up.

Action movies being big, dumb, explosive, action-packed, excessively manly, filled with testosterone and muscles, big guns, mooks getting mowed down that is effectively killing hundreds of people, again with the one-liners that relate to how someone died, MANLY, everybody is just packed with manly badassitude, one-liner vs one-liner combat, more muscles than a santa with muscles, MANLY, more explosions, dudes just flexing through injuries like they're nothing but a flesh wound, shooting a gun so much that the clip just expands and gets bigger and bigger like a machine gun that never stops firing, MANLY ACTION THAT'S ALL AWESOME AND SHIT FROM GUNS AND EXPLOSIONS TO PUNCHING AND EXPLOSIONS AND KICKING AND EXPLOSIONS AND WEAPONS AND EXPLOSIVE EXPLOSIONS AND EXPLOSIONS SO MANLY

And when they make mundane things manly.

A gif doesn't do it justice. With a gif, you don't hear Ahnold's manly greeting, "Dillon, you son of a bitch!", then the meatiest, manliest handshake in history when their palms hit each other, that shit is so loud! And then a one-liner as they effectively arm wrestle while handshaking. That is manliness personified.

And then every other 80s action movie cliche.

Zed, HasseRovdjur, Schizm and 6 others like this.
  5. Franconator

Franconator Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I got more cliches I can think of, but the one that springs to mind immediately is this: I like old men in cinema, but I hate it when they go off on rants about children and modern society. I always feel those rants cheapen their characters, because even if old men have every right to be angry in film and in real life, there's a lot more these old people can be angrier about than being unable to send a text message on an iPhone. It's great if rambling old men are satirized. It's when they're justified that the story starts to get a little cringe-y.

Another weird, top-of-mind cliche I like: fat cigar-smoking men in noir films. Those kinds of pudgy antagonists never get old.

HasseRovdjur, Gens and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  6. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Apr 7, 2019
    Cliches I love:

-80s hair metal in horror movie soundtracks
    -Wilhelm screams

7. Franconator

Franconator Well-Known Member

80's movies are so full of cliches and I'm here for all of them. Long live 80's pop music and fashion sense.

ZetsubouKaiji and Gens like this.
  8. RascaI

RascaI Well-Known Member

Posted by RascaI on Apr 7, 2019
    -Characters saying "yOuRe gOnNa wAnNa sEe tHiS" shutuuuuuup. You ain't clever. Though this might be mostly in like, popular animated films, it's scary how often this line will be used, and incredibly annoying, because no one talks that way irl.

9. chronicallymel

chronicallymel Active Member

Alright, I'll admit it... I enjoy the good ole 'girl gains confidence when she removes her glasses' cliche when it's done really well like The Princess Diaries. It's a cliche that you can really have fun with.

Buffy one liners give me life.

ValkyrieNight, Zed and RascaI like this.
  10. ZetsubouKaiji

But girls with glasses are hotter. Taking the glasses off makes no sense.

11. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Apr 8, 2019
    This megane man is speaking all the sense. IT'S GLASSES OR GO HOME.

*Adjusts my own glasses*

12. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Apr 8, 2019
    *Takes off eyes*

I finally can look me in the mirror without wanting to bash my head in with a sledgehammer.

chronicallymel and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  13. Starletka

Starletka Well-Known Member

14. chronicallymel

chronicallymel Active Member

I do agree! Honestly I wish it was actually 'girl gains confidence after she puts ON glasses'.

LamiaNymph and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  15. ZetsubouKaiji

"Oh what? You play video games? Snerk, you must be a virgin loser. I'm a total man stud that has sex with women every night so I don't have time for that nerd shit."

Dude it's not the 80s or early 90s anymore. Video games are mainstream and played by the majority of people. Stigmatizing gaming as something only done by socially awkward nerds just makes you script look old and out of touch.

"Oh you're autistic? You must secretly be a super genius that can do complex math in their head and have command of esoteric facts that no one would would possibly remember if you brain didn't work in a special way."

This one is just patronizing and alienating bullshit. I feel like it's replaced the magic minority trope in recent years, because everyone has come to see how racist that is, but instead of coming up with better ways for the protagonists to gain wisdom through an unlikely mystical source we've just replaced the trope with something equally patronizing of a group that's different from the majority.

LamiaNymph, sanane, BrainBlow and 7 others like this.
  16. GTOwlnizuka

GTOwlnizuka Well-Known Member

I freaking LOATHE gritty superhero trailers that all follow the same emotional narrative, featuring deep, discordant musical bass.

*sweeping orchestral score or soft piano*
    BWAAAAAAAAAM
    "You thought you were done with the job."
    BWAAAAAAAAAM
    "You thought you were safe."
    BWAAAAAAAAAM
    "You thought you were friends"
    BWAAAAAAAAAM
    "Gritty gritty bang bang"
    BWAAAAAAAAAM
    "Final catchphrase"

This is by no means a shot at the movies themselves, but they all seem to market themselves in the exact same way, and while effective, I am jaded and get bored every time a new one comes out.

17. RascaI

RascaI Well-Known Member

Dude don't be dissing Christopher Nolan, the BWAAAAAAAAAM is known as the inception sound. It's also great for if you want to make a trailer dramatic, while showing the whole movie in the trailer.

And don't forget the choppy flashing in and out of intense scenes where it goes DEHDEHDEHDEHDEH

And then a little jam right at the end where the title flashes up.

GTOwlnizuka likes this.
  18. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Apr 17, 2019
    I want to take a moment to express my love for overly expressive actors that exaggerate their movements or facial expressions. It's all about that ham, babe.

19. SpaceJakey

SpaceJakey Well-Known Member

I too would like to express my love for Ham.
    [​IMG]

trottolina, RascaI and Zed like this.
  20. ZetsubouKaiji

[​IMG]

Nitroglycerin and Zed like this.