Well-dubbed anime

Discussion in 'Anime Recommendations' started by BlameSaiki, May 9, 2020.

1. BlameSaiki

BlameSaiki Member

I'm primarily a subbed watcher, but after getting into the dubbed version of Castlevania, I realized how much I miss watching some dubbed shows. The problem is, it can be a hit or miss. Some English VAs can be so bad that it takes away from the show. What are some well-dubbed anime that I can get into? I want the voice acting to be on-par with shows like Cowboy Bebop & Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Naruto has a fantastic dub in my opinion, as well.

So far, I've been recommended Black Lagoon & Samurai Champloo. Not sure how true they are, but I might give them a try.

Any others?

Melissa93 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Ebonyslayer

Ebonyslayer Well-Known Member

Here are a few that come to mind:
    https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/black-clover -My brother has shown me episodes, and the voice actors are so on point with the characters.
    https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/fruits-basket-1st-season -Funimation actually got the original voice actors from the older anime when they did the reboot.
    I'm going to recommend my list too. https://www.anime-planet.com/users/Ebonyslayer/lists/my-top-twenty-favorite-dubbed-anime-337616
    Hope I helped out in any way.

MilissaSexclub and Franzi like this.
  3. BlameSaiki

BlameSaiki Member

So, I just looked at the new Fruits Basket cast, did they really use the same cast for the main four?? If so, I am so down. I watched the original dubbed, so it'll feel super nostalgic if that's the case.

Your list looks fantastic, thank you! I'll pick from there.

Thank you for your help!

4. OkamiHime95

OkamiHime95 Well-Known Member

Personally I didn't care for Samurai Champloo's dub, but that's just me.

Bleach has a good dub, as well as Snow White with the Red Hair, if you haven't watched them yet. :)

I also agree with @Ebonyslayer on Black Clover & Fruits Basket season 1.

5. MoonFrost

MoonFrost Active Member

Toukan Ranbu: Hanamaru has a good dub. It's mostly fluff, but they put a lot of effort into it, nevertheless.

MilissaSexclub and Ebonyslayer like this.
  6. Warpuppy

Warpuppy Well-Known Member

I feel like the quality of anime dubs have improved massively in the past 20 years. I would recommend you pick a voice actor that you like and see what else that person performed in. You can do that right here on Anime Planet, and from my own experiences Anime Planet has the best voice actor database that I have found.

This took me a while to figure out so I will guide you through how to do it. Lets take Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood for example. Go to the Anime page for Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. Scroll down to the Characters part and click on the "See All Characters" button. Let's say you liked Edward's English voice acting in the anime, you can see on that page the English voice actor for Edward is Vic Mignogna. Click on that link and you can see all of the anime that Vic Mignogna participated in with all of his most famous roles listed on top.

As far as a personal suggestion for Anime with good English voice acting I would go with RWBY. This is an anime that was made from the ground up with English voice acting rather then dubbed from Japanese voice acting.

SPOICAT, Franzi, OkamiHime95 and 3 others like this.
  7. Karasune

Karasune Dank Doughnut

Champloo's dub is good. I personally prefer the sub, but that's because I like those VAs a lot. I didn't watch Black Lagoon dubbed, but I've seen clips and it sounds pretty spot on.

Yu Yu Hakusho's dub is a classic example of how voice actors can make characters personalities shine. I always recommend it.

Servamp is a ridiculous show and honestly not the greatest, but I remember enjoying it solely for how good the dub was.

EDIT: Samurai 7's was enjoyable as well. Baccano's dub = masterpiece.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  8. MikeyMabbs

MikeyMabbs New Member

91 Days is absolutely superb, I don’t know how to link it

MilissaSexclub and Franzi like this.
  9. Franzi

Franzi Active Member

Posted by Franzi on Oct 1, 2020
    Yes! Baccano is a masterpiece!
    I think the rule is: anything that's set in America is gonna be a good dub. (91 days, Black Lagoon, Baccano, damn i bet Appare Ranman's gonna have a great dub too!)
    Durarara does an amazing job too! And Gurren Lagann! (Oh my god Kamina's voice get's you so pumped up!!!)

MilissaSexclub likes this.
  10. Jet

Jet Active Member

Posted by Jet on Oct 2, 2020
    a4e was awesome. Whatever happened to them?
    I always watch with subs as well, but Japanese can be rather infuriating with how many parasite words they implement. Like ano, eto, desu, etc.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  11. Grach

Grach Well-Known Member

Posted by Grach on Oct 6, 2020
    The dub for Slayers is great - the show might be older yet it still holds up well

12. femcore

femcore Well-Known Member

Michiko & Hatchin's dub is better. The voices for the English voice actors fits a lot better than Japanese voice cast. Watched the Promare dub the other day and it was pretty decent.

13. froggichxld

froggichxld New Member

Franzi likes this.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  14. AGFireBolt

AGFireBolt Member

The first thing that comes to mind for me would be Toilet Bound Hanako-kun. Hanako's voice fits him tremendously well and I love the main girls voice actor. The dub isn't grating to the ears and is one of the few that I will only watch dubbed, such as Ouran Highschool Host Club.

15. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

We talking good dubs, then you gotta mention Black Lagoon. What with the show taking place in a Benetton ad from Hell, you get all the different accents in the dub and that makes it more fun. Like Shenhua. She is way more fun in English.

Franzi and Ebonyslayer like this.
  16. Melissa93

Melissa93 Member

I really enjoyed watching the dubbed version of these 3 anime:
    Sword art online S1
    After the rain
    and Nodame Cantabile S1

17. apocalypticGnostic

apocalypticGnostic New Member