Welcome to the NHK!

Re: Welcome to the NHK

Guess.

(Hint: Signature).

Yeah, I absolutely loved this from beginning to end. Probably the single most purely enjoyable anime ever, and one that's so easy to relate to it makes one painfully uncomfortable. Witty, pathetic (in both senses of the word), great characters and a wonderful soundtrack to boot.

I simply cannot sing enough praises of this excellent, excellent series.

I greatly enjoyed this series even though at times it seemed a bit too depressing to me. But they would always put something happy-ish after to pick me back up XD

So far this is a really interesting and funny series.

If it keeps up like this all the way through to the end, it could very easily end within my Top 10 favorites.

It's my 5th favorite of all time. Absolutely spectacular show, the only part I disliked was the quick "obsession with galge 'research'." at the start. I was thoroughly impressed by the ending, and liked how all the elements of the story pieced together for the ending. The use of the "NHK" conspiracy was a fantastic plot device, driving you to understand it's meaning, as well as progress the story.

The themes it touches on though may not be for everyone, however I think they are handled with great care. (for example, suicide is a issue in the anime) I would hope that fans of anime are not turned off by such themes, and give this amazing show a try.

welcome to the nhk!
might be the funniest, wittiest, most satirically (of people like us), well made anime I have ever seen. For a long, long time I considered this the best series hands down. I'm planning on watching it again but I want to forget a little more about it before I head down that road again. The song "Hitori Bocchi" that is played in almost every episode is so well placed and awesome I actually took it upon myself to learn it on guitar.

Overall I really enjoyed this anime. There was that certain oddness factor that kept making me want to watch more.

I watched Welcome to the NHK today, I thought it was good. I liked the shy-love and dark comedy of it but was underwhelmed with the second half of the series, I wasn't quite sure how well the switch to drama was.
it seemed to suggest that Sato and Misaki were never going to get together and were eventually going to drift apart (we never even saw them hug or kiss :( ), it basically threw the first half out the window, and also suggested that Sato was going to live a meager life alone, in a boring job, despite ridding his hikikomori ways. I also thought it spent a bit too much time on suicide in the later episodes, meaning it lost a lot of humour. Despite this I thought that it was a very good series and it did make me laugh, but I hate it when a couple doesn't get together indefinitely :(

I watched Welcome to the NHK today, I thought it was good. I liked the shy-love and dark comedy of it but was underwhelmed with the second half of the series, I wasn't quite sure how well the switch to drama was.
it seemed to suggest that Sato and Misaki were never going to get together and were eventually going to drift apart (we never even saw them hug or kiss :( ), it basically threw the first half out the window, and also suggested that Sato was going to live a meager life alone, in a boring job, despite ridding his hikikomori ways. I also thought it spent a bit too much time on suicide in the later episodes, meaning it lost a lot of humour. Despite this I thought that it was a very good series and it did make me laugh, but I hate it when a couple doesn't get together indefinitely :(

I agree with you that it really switches its tone in the second half, but I think I prefer the drama in this series over the humor. The appeal of the humor to me is that despite how disgusting, pathetic or stupid some of the characters are, it manages to tie their ridiculous actions (The photography bit in one of the earlier episodes...) into a pathology that's actually pretty common, and relatable.

as for the ending, I thought they did get together? Their relationship probably can't be defined by normal couple terms, but it's clear to both of them that they cherish each other, and that sadly, neither of them have anyone else. I feel like this is one of the best romances I've seen in Anime. It's refreshingly down to earth. Sato and Misaki are clearly diseased, and it's nice to see that reflected in their expressions of love. It's nice and selfish.

I would watch 100 of these episodes. I don't much like animes that seem to go on forever. 24 episodes is good enough to tell a complete story , but this i would watch every week for years. It might really be one of the best Anime ever made.

I agree with you that it really switches its tone in the second half, but I think I prefer the drama in this series over the humor. The appeal of the humor to me is that despite how disgusting, pathetic or stupid some of the characters are, it manages to tie their ridiculous actions (The photography bit in one of the earlier episodes...) into a pathology that's actually pretty common, and relatable.

as for the ending, I thought they did get together? Their relationship probably can't be defined by normal couple terms, but it's clear to both of them that they cherish each other, and that sadly, neither of them have anyone else. I feel like this is one of the best romances I've seen in Anime. It's refreshingly down to earth. Sato and Misaki are clearly diseased, and it's nice to see that reflected in their expressions of love. It's nice and selfish.

The fact that it did switch up the comedy with the super drama brought up the overall effect of the series immensely IMO.
I'm in love with Yui Makino's performance as Misaki Nakahara in this series.
I also love love love super love-love the acoustic guitar song. The mood it creates is perfect for this show.

Just about to go into the 15th episode, very good so far, last arc had a
suicide theme

Misaki is extremely interesting right now, as is Sato, thier a loveable pair despite the wierd circumstances, can't wait to see more

Absolutely loved it.
Goes over some theme's avoided by a lot of series. Has many dark moments, but it pretty much always gets a lighter the episode after a theme is concluded.
All the characters are believable aswell; where there are usually a couple of side-characters without any form of personality, all characters were made beautifully in WttNHK.

Definitely one of my favorites.

Back