Welcome to the Ballroom

There are people still watching this?

It's actually fairly popular and highly rated. As much shit as I talked about the show it's actually a middling shounen sports series that quite watchable aside from the lack of animation and sometimes too exaggerated art. It's biggest detriment is not being great like IG's other sports series.

EP 21

God damn flashbacks. :flip:

So much of this ep was wasted on flashbacks. And next episode.......FORESHADOWS MORE FUCKING FLASHBACKS!!!!! Are they hinting at eating up time and making this comp the season finale in hopes to continue onto S2?

EP 21

God damn flashbacks. :flip:

So much of this ep was wasted on flashbacks. And next episode.......FORESHADOWS MORE FUCKING FLASHBACKS!!!!! Are they hinting at eating up time and making this comp the season finale in hopes to continue onto S2?

As is it, the anime will end past where the manga is currently. The author has already apologized that he couldn't finish the chapters in time. And considering it took 6 years to get this many chapters...

One thing that does bother me with this show is
how much time is spent on the Tatara and his partners fucking things up. It's a common thing in sports anime where a lot of time is spent on things going poorly, but this show has spent a lot of time drilling home the idea that to dance at a high level requires perfection. Now I know time is dilated in sports anime so I know they're not messing up for that long in reality, but it still seems like all these little mistakes would add up to a lot bigger consequences for their scores. Especially in this episode where Tatara is all over the place after having his muscles loosened. He even almost causes a collision and everyone seems to be wonder what the fuck he is doing. I would think that would draw some notice from the judges.

It's different with basketball or volleyball, because you can always mount a comeback, but with the way dance it judged every screwup is going to cost you and it's almost impossible to get back your footing after losing marks.

It's not a big deal because I know all the drama and minutia are played up, but it is something that was on my mind these last couple of slow paced episodes.

something amazing right at the death
It was also stated that each dance had just 2-3 min to catch the judges. You dont have time to impress in the end. That, as was also mentioned, is the final round where everything is analyzed.

Im shocked they got so far.

Forgot to comment on this. The second half was certainly better than the first story wise, and Tatara became a lot more bearable. Complaints go to IG for screwing up the production, otherwise it would've been much better.

4/5.

I love this anime. It was so awesome start to finish. I was hooked all the way through. It got me to start ballroom dancing and it made me fall in love with it. The characters are fantastic. The story is wonderful. This anime is 10/10. wish there were more episodes that I could watch.

thought of the day: (put in a spoiler cause it was long winded, read at ya own risk bud)
I finished welcome to the ballroom and it made me think about some stuff. I think I’ve mentioned it a lot that I don’t like the 90’s art style when it comes to anime. Especially throughout the years since getting into anime in general. But I just kind of sat back and realized some of my favorite series either are from the 90’s, started in the 90’s and are still running, were just really good that it completely distracted me from the art style, or was charming enough to get me to love it.

Listen, I’m spoiled and I can understand that. I’ve had so much beautiful art styles to feast my eyes on so the older generation of anime/manga is like whiplash, but it’s still so god damn good. And in it’s own way, it is kinda pretty. I think I need to stop being so judgmental about art style, but it’s kind of a hard bias to break.

But welcome to the ballroom was so hard to watch in certain moments. For an anime completely based on a sport reliant on beauty and elegance, the art style was not. The necks were really long, which I just think was proportional error which as annoying as it was, I can forgive, but the faces/facial expressions were extremely harsh. Which considering how strongly I didn’t really like the art style, the fact that I sat through 24 episodes I think speaks for itself??

I’m weak for the shounen genre. I’m also weak for sports genre. If the story is good, I’m even weaker.

The last six episodes of ballroom, I think I considered dropping it at least four times. But then when I didn’t feel that way, I was completely engrossed in the story.

All the other sports animes I’ve watched, the main characters usually have experience in the sport already. The only one I can think of that didn’t was sakamichi in yowapedal. but also, sakamichi was just #That Good at cycling. So in a way, I don’t count him either.

Tatara discoverers dance and decides to do it. He fucking SUCKS and he continues to suck and fuck up and obviously he still applies to “shounen sport character gets good at shit way faster than realistically possible” but idk. As much as it drove me crazy to see him fuck up, cause I wanted him to do well, it was refreshing? He buckled under pressure. He couldn’t stand up to the talent of other dancers, or just didn’t know what the fuck he was doing.

I don’t think I’m trying to say this anime was the best shounen I’ve ever seen but I’m just sort of surprised how much I liked it. It drove me up the walls in certain aspects, like how their necks looked like PEZ dispensers but also the journey was pretty dope. Idk it was just good.

But every sport shounen I’ve watched wins me over at some point. I can’t resist. That’s the true tea of this post

I'm about halfway through this already, but I haven't found a single character I like yet. That's normal, right? The general reactions have my back here, but it's really abnormal for a sports series to have this kind of effect on me. I mean, I could like the arrogant coach's dancing partner, because she's the only one who can get away with slapping him in the face and calling him out for his shit. But if she's just going to get yanked around on the dance floor like the rest of the girls in this show, then I don't have much hope for her, either.

34vWX.jpg

And fuckin' hell, this is so amazingly grotesque.

The bastards did it, they anime'd ballroom dancing, of all things. Then again, I guess it does fit with the show's theme of having everybody be an absolute dickface. It's a wonder it hasn't yet realized that things would be so much smoother if only people were a little nicer to each other.

I think I wouldn't be able to recommend this anime to other people. As a sport anime, there aren't any likeable relationships between the characters, which is like a prerequisite for a shounen series anyway. I get that its a competitive sport, but that's still no excuse to act shitty around other characters. So the lack of camaraderie between characters will be a big mood killer for anyone who gets into this anime. Besides, there's Princess Tutu for people to get into if they want good characters and dancing.

I'm about halfway through this already, but I haven't found a single character I like yet. That's normal, right? The general reactions have my back here, but it's really abnormal for a sports series to have this kind of effect on me. I mean, I could like the arrogant coach's dancing partner, because she's the only one who can get away with slapping him in the face and calling him out for his shit. But if she's just going to get yanked around on the dance floor like the rest of the girls in this show, then I don't have much hope for her, either.

34vWX.jpg

And fuckin' hell, this is so amazingly grotesque.

The bastards did it, they anime'd ballroom dancing, of all things. Then again, I guess it does fit with the show's theme of having everybody be an absolute dickface. It's a wonder it hasn't yet realized that things would be so much smoother if only people were a little nicer to each other.

I seem to have forgotten the body horror of this anime. It's not quite gooey enough for Cronenberg, but it's just as creepy.

Well, it got good to just become watchable. The show really could have been top-tier if it wanted to, if only it didn't blueball the shit out of its plot with flashbacks. The second half's characters were a lot better, too - MC's redhead dancing partner was such a good addition to the story and the angsty dancing bro is someone I can fucks with. By the end, I honestly really did give a shit about competitive dancing - just not enough to think this was anything beyond average.

3/5

I almost want to say it’s Baki level of bad, almost lmao.....

What a coincidence! I just finished watching the first season of the OG Baki series.

You're actually not wrong about that. At least Baki can still use the excuse that most of the fighters aren't even human anymore. Welcome to the Ballroom's just grotesque stuff all around. Kind of like what'd happen if the Gray's Anatomy illustrator suddenly woke up feeling like an artiste.

34zSY.jpg

34zTf.jpg

I'm on episode 7 of Welcome To the Ballroom. I honestly agree with everyone's criticism for the show so far.

Welcome To The Ballroom is just lacking in lots of areas. It's not a sports anime I would recommend.

Very Bad Character Proportions Sometimes And Awkward Dance Scenes
  • The body proportions aren't drawn right. The characters seem a bit too tall. Even the arms and legs have to be drawn longer. But the proportions do look better than XXXHolic in general.
  • For a ballroom anime that focuses on refined elegance, and beauty, the dance scenes are drawn so awkwardly. The characters freeze and strike a pose between dance moves. It feels like watching characters striking a fancy pose in front of a camera.
  • The characters' eyes in particular look a bit angular too.
Character Dynamics is also very lacking. For 7 episodes, I haven't found a character that I'm particularly interested in or attached to.
But the music is alright.

unknown.png

unknown.png

I should also nickname Episode 7 as: "Mako's Wardrobe Disaster". Her hair is already close to a shade of blonde. But I wish they picked the pink rose dress.
It's a completely yellow outfit. It's super bright as a lemon or banana. She also has ribbons and frills as decorations.

The padding on Mako's bra totally fell on the floor while they were dancing. Everybody was tripping and falling when their shoes touched the padding.
It was kinda awkward to watch.

Last edited:
Back