Video Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gens

Database Moderator
I know for a fact there are a lot of gamers out there on this forum and games always have seemed to be a hot topic of discussion around here, especially if the What Are You Currently Playing thread was any indication, so I'm expecting this to be pretty popular overall.

Into the nitty gritty, the purpose of this thread is mainly to generally discuss anything video gaming related that caught your interest, recommendations, accomplishments you feel proud of, maybe stuff you're looking forward to this year, gaming press, opinions etc.

Again, the point is to promote some real discussion here as a hub for gaming nerdery and absolutely no listing things. We're trying to avoid the negative spammy culture of the old thread.

It's fine however to talk about some current games you've picked up and your general thoughts/impressions so far.

I guess I'll kick start it off:

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward:

Virtue's_Last_Reward_3DS_Boxart.jpg

Yeah, yeah, I do flaunt and obsess over this title a lot if one of my old forum avatars was any surprise or dead give away. But this is seriously my favourite game ever in the niche genre of VNs that I'd call a master class in writing with brilliantly surprising twists and turns. If you're into life or death survival game scenarios, science fiction and a great suspenseful mystery all at the same time, this is probably the best of it's kind you'll find here and the sheer complexity of the story is pretty much guaranteed to leave you reeling. I don't think I've ever felt such an immense feeling of satisfaction in a game with how all the pieces come together in this, it just blows my mind every time I think back on it.

Anyway, I couldn't recommend the game enough to everyone out there who has either a 3DS or VITA. I used to think no one could top Urobochi and he would be my favourite godsend author ever of visual novels with Saya but Uchikoshi just knocked it right out of the ball park.

Also, now I think would especially be a pretty good time to get into the franchise starting with Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors since the trilogy's set to end this summer with it's third instalment. Mega-fucking excited about it this year out of everything else being released. :love:

But that's enough fangirling from me, share away guys.

Last edited:
The game you just posted looks pretty interesting. I think I'll see if they have it next time I go to the video game store. I have a 2DS.

I'm looking forward to the persona 5 game. I was not a big fan of 4 but from the trailer it looks like this one is going to be good. I need something better than jumping in TV's. I don't expect it to be as good as "the dark hour" but... maybe it will surprise me. Here is one of the trailers in case anyone has not seen it yet.

Persona 5 trailer

I still need to finish 999. I got the apparently worst ending first and was on the last door of my second playthrough. Since then I got a new computer and got a new OS so I don't even know if I'll be able to get my save back...

I still need to finish 999. I got the apparently worst ending first and was on the last door of my second playthrough. Since then I got a new computer and got a new OS so I don't even know if I'll be able to get my save back...

Are you playing this on an emulator since you mentioned PC? Just curious. That really sucks though, because 999 isn't exactly that short of a game, and it's not quite as organized as VLR is with it's handy flow chart system.

The game you just posted looks pretty interesting. I think I'll see if they have it next time I go to the video game store. I have a 2DS.

I'd highly recommend playing 999 first btw since it's the first game in the series and plus the additional context was really nice to have.

If you've got either a 3DS or a Vita and haven't gotten around to Virtue's, that's simply a waste. Just saying.

---

I was so excited yesterday when they announced Bayonetta and Kamui's release in Smash on the 4th. I thought they would be releasing them by the end of the month or at least halfway through it. It's especially exciting because we're having our biggest offline tournament yet on the 26-27-28 weekend and if there weren't at least two weeks to prepare for the new characters' match-ups, they would not be legal in it, but now they totally are.

I can't wait, both look really good in their own regards. Bayonetta is combo-heavy, versatile and the witch time counter is kinda broken, whereas Kamui has plenty of lagless moves with good spacing and range.

Are you playing this on an emulator since you mentioned PC? Just curious. That really sucks though, because 999 isn't exactly that short of a game, and it's not quite as organized as VLR is with it's handy flow chart system.

Yeah, that's how I was playing it since I could not find a copy easily at the time. I can just play through from the start again but whenever I think to do it, I get discouraged since I've seen it already and don't wana go through it again.

If you've got either a 3DS or a Vita and haven't gotten around to Virtue's, that's simply a waste. Just saying.

I've actually owned Virtue for a while but have yet to play it seeing as how I wanted to play 999 first.

I know a lot of you guys play VN and JRPs, which I admit I haven't played much of. It's not because I don't like them, more along the lines of I just never get around to them. I said last year that I was going to change that, buuuuuuut it didn't happen. Maybe I'll get a few in this year. I want to try the Persona franchise, 999 & Virtue's Last Reward, Tales of, and finally get into Final Fantasy. I still have Atelier stuff I'm working through though, which will probably come before all of those.

Aside from all of that, has anyone here played The Darkness? Asking since it's my favorite game and I rarely bump into other people who have played it. Undertale is another top favorite of mine, but I already know there's quite a few fans on the forum.

Right now I am playing Game of Dice. It is popular globally since it is a very fun game. It can be also exciting. I also made a gif image out of their characters that i want to share to you guys ! :D

1rojuo.gif

I know a lot of you guys play VN and JRPs, which I admit I haven't played much of. It's not because I don't like them, more along the lines of I just never get around to them. I said last year that I was going to change that, buuuuuuut it didn't happen. Maybe I'll get a few in this year. I want to try the Persona franchise, 999 & Virtue's Last Reward, Tales of, and finally get into Final Fantasy. I still have Atelier stuff I'm working through though, which will probably come before all of those.

Stick with IV-VII then skip VIII and move onto IX. Leave it there and believe that it's the best JRPG franchise ever made, continue on and feel the crushing disappointment of a franchise ruined beyond repair.

Stick with IV-VII then skip VIII and move onto IX. Leave it there and believe that it's the best JRPG franchise ever made, continue on and feel the crushing disappointment of a franchise ruined beyond repair.

Mostly this, throw in the ps1 Final Fantasy Tactics and Bravely Default (it counts) and you are golden.

I thought X was fun and loved the combat/class system (and really nothing else) from X-2 but anything outside of utter disgust seems to be a divisive opinion. I'd also definitely suggest playing 1 just because it started the franchise. Probably go with the gba version.

If you do go looking for something new, Type-0 HD is utter trash, they couldn't even be bothered with updating the psp models on half of the npcs... it is one of the laziest ports I've seen in awhile. Active combat is poorly implemented as well, you just spam dodge and wait for a break/kill sight.

And this is apparently the combat system (or an iteration of) they are putting in XV. Yippee.

I only played the sequel. It was fun. But I hear the first one is better.

I personally don't consider one better than the other, but they do have their own strengths and weaknesses. The first game really shined with its great story and adventure; wandering different parts of the city, doing really cool side-missions, and going to "Hell". The soundtrack was pretty darn good too. I loved going into the subways too. The main downside was the combat, which is where the second game shined. The upgraded combat made The Darkness II really stand out, along with the awesome comic book feel it took on with the new art style, but what really pained me about it was the lack of open world and withdrawal of any side missions. Now if they finally made a third game and mixed the open world and side missions of the first game with the combat and art of the second game, I would be the happiest person in the world.

Sounds good enough to me. I've heard a lot of disappointment about the franchise throughout the years and honestly don't feel that inclined to get into it, but I see an awful lot of pretty videos and gifs from it. That's usually how I get myself into terrible things. The prettiness is usually always a lie.

As Final Fantasy went on it became much more linear and focused on combat at the expense of its RPG elements that made it so engaging in the early years. The IV-VII games were outstanding (I still go back to VI sometimes), but my favourite was IX. VIII just had a generic plot and an emo main lead.

I would also say if you're a fan of FF and MMOs to pick up XIV because it is a genuinely good MMO. The only reason I don't play is because my time is divided between Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online at the moment.

XII and XIII were just... Yeah. I'd like to think the actual franchise ended with IX and they just made an online game straight after.

I really love the concepts in Wasteland 2, it hits so many cool notes Fallout: New Vegas had, and they even share a similar nuclear cowboy charm. New Vegas was definitely more creative and did it better, but I like to see it done in a similar way.

>manners and politeness fanatics who worship old self-help book
>railroad indians who belive they are descendants of casey johnes
>titan akbar monks
>cat litter
>motherfucking chisel

Most of the things are really just old Fallout antics with a fresh code of paint, but that's everything I ever wanted.

i'm still more into old games than new ones ...so i buy most of my games from gog.com.... but elder scrolls online has my attention now...it is very much a rpg as opposed to most that are numbers games ... like go kill x things and come back...while there is some of that sort in eso but mostly it is like a lot of the off line rpg's of the old school...

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Know Link would enjoy this one since it's all roguelike and a total man's game. Getting back into it with the oncoming DLC and running Cornac/Paradox Mage, going into the Gravity and with the extra point, getting Reality Smearing, Time Shield and all the good defensive options, including Cauterize as a prodigy. Mad survivability and contingency plans just in case.

Heh... Contingency + Time Shield, eh. Should go on sale when the DLC is released and on sales it's cheap as chips.

I need people I know to play Elder Scrolls Online with me. It's fun solo but it's hard to find low-level groups while levelling up.

I need people I know to play Elder Scrolls Online with me. It's fun solo but it's hard to find low-level groups while levelling up.

well i suppose you are on a European server ....right??? and i'm on th n.a. server so ...

Aside from all of that, has anyone here played The Darkness? Asking since it's my favorite game and I rarely bump into other people who have played it

And here I thought I'll never find another person who likes it enough to call it a favorite :) (where I live it's like this game doesn't even exist) It was one of the first games I bought for my PS3. The dark atmosphere, the voice acting, the characters, game mechanics - all blew me away. Darkness powers were also a fun and unique element which added a lot to the gameplay; and not to mention the darklings which were simply hilarious XD

The 2nd one was good too and had quite a few improvements but overall I liked the first one better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back