Ushio and Tora TV

Just a quick note on this for those unaware; the series overall is 39 eps in total with the first season being 26. Then they go on strike break and the final season in 2016.

This has been your local ModMias fun fact of the century. :megusta:

For all the things MAPPA could've given a proper TV adaptation for (Gunnm, Pluto, etc) they use their talents on...some shounen manga no one has cared about in forever?

Whatever, they've made it clear that they are the new big studio to look out for recently with the likes of Bahamut, Zankyou no Terror (shitty script and dull cast but the great direction and production quality help it stand out) and Garo (most underrated 2014 anime if you ask me). Warrants a look at least. If the source is at least decent then I'd like to see what they can do to elevate it.

production quality help it stand out) and Garo (most underrated 2014 anime if you ask me)

I couldn't agree any harder with this. :drinking:

I'm still on the fence about this one due to length, but lord knows I'll probably give in and watch it because if nothing else MAPPA can animate the hell out of some action.

Meh, at 1st glance I hated Favaro's design, they helped me get over it by making him interesting.........

Meh, at 1st glance I hated Favaro's design, they helped me get over it by making him interesting.........

Favarro's design was actually something interesting and unique.
These MCs are just drawn in an utterly generic 90's style.(because it's from the 90's, duh)
It looks like one of those things that is on the TV in the background in other anime.

Episode 1.
It's funny.
There appears to be decent action.
Tora is a stich.
And that OP is bangin'.

Oh yeah. Redneck likes.

Episode 1:

Maaaaaaaaan, that was a ton of retro fun right there.
The plot is nothing special, but the humor and action are enough to carry this first episode. I really liked the interactions between Tora and Ushio. Ushio is a pretty typical 90s lead, but I did like how he was just going to leave Tora in basement rather than pulling out the spear for some dumbass reason. He doesn't do it until he's forced so he might have some modicum of sense. However, in the banter between Tora and Ushio that makes the episode. The two have an instant chemistry which makes the back and forth between them delightful. I like how arrogant Tora is only to be brought down to earth by the fact that he's always going to be trapped by the spear. Even after being freed he can't get away from Ushio because of that spear so if he doesn't want to get pinned then he can't go about his plans to drag everyone to hell.

Tora has an awesome design that's good for both comedy and being intimidating when that's called for. All the character designs are refreshingly retro and they're all very expressive. I like how flexible the retro art is because it's good for comedy and more serious moments. There is more detail in the faces and they're capable of lots of different exaggerated expression.

The action this episode was short but extremely well done. Ushio's transformation when he's using the spear is pretty badass looking.

The music was awesome this episode as well. There were a lot of different tracks and they fit the mood pretty well. Plus I can't help but love the cheesy rockin' 90s opening song. The ending song is a bit less memorable, but that opening is one of my favorites from the shows I've seen this season.

Other than that there's not a lot to comment on. This'll probably have a monster of the week format going forward. Tora is going to be attracting more demons and they'll have to fight them off together. There's some drama to be had because the spear changes the person that's using it so Ushio will have to worry about losing himself.

It seems like holding the spear and transforming gave Ushio a lesson on it's history so there was that awkward exposition dump at the end to explain the history, but it's not like we expect top notch writing from this. It at least sets some longer range stakes for the series.

I remember when I first saw the 90'sish look of this series that instantly charmed the pants off me so I'm kinda tempted to start it, plus the idea of some retro-fun sounds appealing. .....But then again, that 39 episode commitment is a pretty significant time sink as well, ugh, tough decision.

I say go for it. The first episode was loads of fun and I think it lays out a good ground work for a fun retro series. I'm also pretty fond of Mappa's recent work because other than Punch Line they've been home runs for me.

The first episode didn't do anything to convince me it won't be an utterly generic shonen fighting series, but I appreciate the effort they've made to preserve the 90s look of the original, and it certainly seems well animated.

The first episode didn't do anything to convince me it won't be an utterly generic shonen fighting series, but I appreciate the effort they've made to preserve the 90s look of the original, and it certainly seems well animated.

haha, well the original was a generic fighting series as well.
Jeeze, If I woke up from a coma from when I first watched anime, I would have no clue as to the era.
HunterXHunter, Dragonball, Legend of Arslan, Sailor Moon and now this. Honestly I am surprised at this title.
This was a fun title in the day, but a tad forgettable. I totally enjoy the look, and the straight line face sketches falls in line with the manga.

Honestly I am surprised at this title.
This was a fun title in the day, but a tad forgettable.

Yeah, I'd be curious to know why they've dusted off Ushio and Tora in particular. I wouldn't have thought it'd have all that much cult appeal.

My guess is the overall cost to buy the license, and (I think) successful revivals of other older titles.

Back