Unpopular Opinions

I mean I don't want to write an overly pretentious film rant here because I'm in the middle of doing a bunch of film reviews in the entertainment section for horror films at the moment, buuuuuuuuuuut Gary Marshall always kind of chapped my ass because he did these overly sentimental rom-coms that didn't reflect life at all and yet critics always sucked him off for how lifelike his films where. Love Actually isn't a bad film, but it's about as realistic as Sasquatch giving St. Nick a BJ for how sentimental it is.

It's a Christmas movie, so I have to hate it unanimously unless it's Christmas horror.

I mean I don't want to write an overly pretentious film rant here because I'm in the middle of doing a bunch of film reviews in the entertainment section for horror films at the moment, buuuuuuuuuuut Gary Marshall always kind of chapped my ass because he did these overly sentimental rom-coms that didn't reflect life at all and yet critics always sucked him off for how lifelike his films where. Love Actually isn't a bad film, but it's about as realistic as Sasquatch giving St. Nick a BJ for how sentimental it is.

I don't think I like any of Gary Marshall's movies. I have an immense dislike for all of them.

I think that soci... wait, no, let's not get into politics, this is an anime forum and I should stick with anime/entertainment related unpopular opinions.

DanMachi is garbage.
80s anime does often have great plotlines, but it has, visually, aged like milk for 95% of the titles.
Fantasy isekai, or fantasy anything to begin with, is grossly overrepresented. It was good and original for the first 10 titles, and some series did reinvent the genre and create something interesting out of it, but each season bring its army of wannabe Konosubas and it's annoying as it gets.
What many people call "cute, heartwarming anime" is often "boring anime". Sure, there are many good things being recommended in that genre (GochiUsa, Non Non Biyori...) but there's a ton of bland stuff that tries to pass as wholesome when it's just, well, bland.
Azur Lane blows Kantai Collection out of the water (pun unintended). They didn't reinvent the genre, but made a better KC than KC could ever be.
The German fetish in military themed anime is tasteless. Sometimes, it's a minor disturbance, like a quiet fart at a fancy dinner, but it can become absolutely insufferable. Looking at you, Tanya the Evil.

I think we should put a moratorium on the entire Cthulhu mythos, because most people that references it only have a second- or third hand understanding of it, and it's just shoggoths and Iä! Iä! sounds while squamous beings of an indescribable nature that lie deep in cyclopean mazes that have stood since time immemorial are reduced to some tentacles. It's long since become to horror what Monty Python references is to comedy, or what JoJo references are to anime. Just put an end to it, please.

(Or have it crossover with Python's dead parrot sketch.)

Unpopular opinions eh... I guess I have some of those. Let's see if I can ruffle up some feathers with this one. Sword Art Online is better then Log Horizon.

Log Horizon's world building is absolutely horrible. Elder Tales is presented as a successful MMORPG that has lasted a long time. I find this questionable though considering that Log Horizon often describes in great detail how particular aspects of the game work and almost every single time, what is described would be game breaking in any MMORPG.

I could write about how almost any of the spells or combat skills that are described are game breaking, but this post is already turning out to be way too long, so instead I will just casually mention that any player with enough money can purchase any building in the entire game and keep that building for an entire month. While it is under their ownership, that player can restrict access to parts of that building from every other player in the game if they choose to. I'm sure a game master's response to players "Sorry, you can not withdraw any items from your guild bank because another player owns the hallway leading to your vault for the next 18 days" would go over just fine with the community with no backlash at all from players.

Sword Art Online also has plenty of issues with game design, but I am much more willing to look past these because Sword Art is a brand new kind of game that just launched while Elder Tales is supposed to be a long standing successful game. While Log Horizon goes out of its way to describe its terrible game mechanics in great detail, Sword Art just kind of shows off some combat and lets the viewer try to figure out how the game mechanics work by watching. I would prefer Log Horizon's method if its game design made any sense, but since it doesn't I prefer Sword Art's choice to leave the viewers in the dark.

I also feel like Log Horizon has more pressure on itself to have good world building. Sword Art's characters are generally shallow and you will find plot holes if you analyze anything about it with any amount of effort, but it has flashy combat and anything beyond that is generally just enough to get to the next battle. While Log Horizon had some combat, it definitely felt like it took a back seat to the politics of its world. With a greater focus on its world, it has more pressure for its world to be well made. Almost every single arc that happens in log horizon, the plot hole "This could never happen in any functional MMORPG" can't be avoided.

I think we should put a moratorium on the entire Cthulhu mythos, because most people that references it only have a second- or third hand understanding of it, and it's just shoggoths and Iä! Iä! sounds while squamous beings of an indescribable nature that lie deep in cyclopean mazes that have stood since time immemorial are reduced to some tentacles. It's long since become to horror what Monty Python references is to comedy, or what JoJo references are to anime. Just put an end to it, please.

(Or have it crossover with Python's dead parrot sketch.)

Yeah, these days I like stuff inspired by Lovecraft rather than his own works.

Oh man, you are speaking my love language.

Agree: That is because Gary Marshal came from sitcom world. If you are responsible for Happy Days/Mork and Mindy, and his sister's show Laverne and Shirley, what you write/direct is the plausibility of 80s comedy. Although I dug those comedies, I hate, with a Giant 8, Pretty Woman and Beaches.

That said, He "actually" did not do Love Actually, but he instead did 3 other shittier ones that I think you are relating it to.
Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and New Years Eve. They are all 3 multi-track stories with an ensemble cast. I'd like to call them, Love Actually's flawed carbon copies that got worse with each iteration.

UP: People who proudly brand themselves as Slytherin are usually just hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws that merely like the aesthetic more. Green is the best available color of the Hogwarts houses after all.

UP: People who proudly brand themselves as Slytherin are usually just hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws that merely like the aesthetic more. Green is the best available color of the Hogwarts houses after all.
Do you know what the house animal for Hufflepuff is? Badger. Just badger. Doesn't even specify which badger, could be any one of the pussy variants of it that aren't honey badger as all of them are punk ass bitches compared to the ratel who is the OG animal out of all the house animals. Raven? Honey Badger would climb a tree to jump his bitch ass. Snake? He would steal the rat it's eating, eat it infront of it to show him that he's a bitch, fight it, get bit, poisoned and die with the snake dying to, rise up like Jesus and eat the rest of the snake. Griffon? Honey Badger would go for his nuts, just go right in there and get them sack of balls while fucking his ass up because only punk ass bitches back down like that from a thing like 20x it's size. But Hufflepuff? They're the regular badger, and that sucks ass. And it's the house that accepts anybody, including the losers that couldn't be as noble as a Gryphyndor, as smart as a Ravenclaw or as dick as a Slytherin. Their emblem? Yellow, like it's the non-coolest of colours, they produce the least amount of kickass wizards and witches, and it's not as cool as Slytherin nor can you make awesome puns like "Mind if I slytherin?" Fuckin A, Hufflepuff ain't got shit on them greens.

Back