Unpopular Opinions

Well a resurfaced road is an inevitable thing, but a new one that cuts through zigzags, hills and mountains and such is what gets me hot and bothered.
Honestly. When they get the portal shit developed that’s when I’ll be excited. Instant travel to anywhere. No more 3 hours drive to Taeks for example.

Apparently it's an unpopular opinion to actually be real hyped for many infrastructure projects that ultimately will just make travel a lot faster and smoother permanently. And I mean stuff like tunnels and bridges, not making highways bigger, which does not work for the intended purpose.
Often it just seems like people don't see the larger scope. "Oh it only reduces travel time by 10 minutes." Yeah that's 10 minutes per vehicle, on a now much safer stretch of road especially during winter, and it reduces the daily commute by 20 minutes, which is kind of a big deal, particularly considering all the heavy traffic. And then each similar project along the country's long main roads reduces long distance travel more and more.
I find the complaints particularly egregious when it's district projects. I once saw a guy complain that it makes it easier to move away from the district. What the fuck are you smoking?

Dude this is my shit. I dream of infrastructure. The only other forum I belong to is dedicated entirely to photographing and documenting infrastructure and construction projects worldwide. It's so fucking sexy God I love cable stayed bridges so much and I wish they were more popular in America. Suspension is gaudy and terrible.

Ahem. Apologies. I just get really excited about construction.

Uo

The trump presidency hasn't been as bad as expected.
In fact from the view point of a non US citizen its actually been pretty good, esp if measured by the last 2 war presidents

Dude this is my shit. I dream of infrastructure. The only other forum I belong to is dedicated entirely to photographing and documenting infrastructure and construction projects worldwide. It's so fucking sexy God I love cable stayed bridges so much and I wish they were more popular in America. Suspension is gaudy and terrible.

I can understand this- I'm fascinated by old construction and buildings. I got to check out old Roman ruins when I was a kid and got hooked.

I've always been fascinated with it since I learned the history of my home town and how its growth exploded after it got a permanent suspension bridge, and the neighboring municipality then got a whole bunch of road improvements, which combined gave full road connection to the mainland.

UP: I unironically adore Fireflies by Owl City.
It was real popular in early to mid-2010. So I was 17, and this was around one of the "peaks" of my life with how stuff in general was just going great for me.
I, like many, tend to listen to catchy songs on repeat a lot when they strike my fancy. It did around that time, and thus became a mental symbol of that time. I had fun, I was in increasingly good shape (relatively speaking), I had just made new friends that I still have to this day, weather was great, life outlook great, all that stuff.
It became extremely melancholy tinged as my life went kind of to purgatory the next year, with the worst part of it happening even in the geographical location that I was in when I got truly hooked on the song first a year before. So everyone has some tunes that are very nostalgic for, but in some ways that melody is a sharp reminder of how my childhood ended while my early adulthood got stolen. So I still love it for the good times it represents.

Also makes for some great parodies/mashups

UP: I unironically adore Fireflies by Owl City.
It was real popular in early to mid-2010. So I was 17, and this was around one of the "peaks" of my life with how stuff in general was just going great for me.
I, like many, tend to listen to catchy songs on repeat a lot when they strike my fancy. It did around that time, and thus became a mental symbol of that time. I had fun, I was in increasingly good shape (relatively speaking), I had just made new friends that I still have to this day, weather was great, life outlook great, all that stuff.
It became extremely melancholy tinged as my life went kind of to purgatory the next year, with the worst part of it happening even in the geographical location that I was in when I got truly hooked on the song first a year before. So everyone has some tunes that are very nostalgic for, but in some ways that melody is a sharp reminder of how my childhood ended while my early adulthood got stolen. So I still love it for the good times it represents.

Also makes for some great parodies/mashups
I UNIRONICALLY ADORE EVERY SONG BY OWL CITY!

It's been nearly 10 years since Owl City's Fireflies? Damn...

My friends and I were going crazy over Rammstein's Amerika during our last year of high school, we even secretly put it in the DJ's setlist for our graduation ball. Good times (also like, 15 years ago).

giphy.gif

It's been nearly 10 years since Owl City's Fireflies? Damn...

My friends and I were going crazy over Rammstein's Amerika during our last year of high school, we even secretly put it in the DJ's setlist for our graduation ball. Good times (also like, 15 years ago).

giphy.gif
It helps that Rammstein is still putting out new music, and their newest album is absolute fire! Probably some of their best material yet.

Not only is the music itself great to just listen to, but the actual themes and lyrics are some of their most thought-provoking and powerful yet.

It helps that Rammstein is still putting out new music, and their newest album is absolute fire! Probably some of their best material yet.

Not only is the music itself great to just listen to, but the actual themes and lyrics are some of their most thought-provoking and powerful yet.

I remember the controversy when they released the Deutschland video which was misinterpreted (ofc) by the mainstream media again. With how turbulent the political climate is in Germany it really only makes sense that Rammstein provides the soundtrack to it.

I haven't been following them closely since the Rosenrot album but it's good to know they still haven't dumbed down their lyrical content with age (I thought they had when they released Pussy a few years ago tbh). The music itself is always bangin' in any case and Radio is interesting because it provides further insight into a life that I can't really imagine (I was born one year before the Berlin Wall was torn down so I don't have any memories of the GDR myself). Most Rammstein members are from the GDR so that just adds more authenticity to the song.

the dark knight is mediocre at best. It has some of the saddest pacing and scene composition i've ever seen in a movie. It's one of my least favorite nolan movies if not my least favorite of his period.

Uo:

People obsessed with their lawns have dull, vanilla sex and run in terror from spices.

I've never been able to get into MMORPGs, I tried a bit of WoW and some free MMOs but they never really clicked with me and their gameplay and progression always seemed more tedious than fun to me.

I've never been able to get into MMORPGs, I tried a bit of WoW and some free MMOs but they never really clicked with me and their gameplay and progression always seemed more tedious than fun to me.
With all the gaming I do, I have yet to play a MMORPG- I'm not sure I'd enjoy them. I prefer single player open world, they seem more immersive....

I actually agree with this, although for a different reason than tedium. As much as I may wish (and have tried), I just cannot play the same game continuously for months or years on end. The longest I can play a game every day is two weeks max and that's if I'm really into it.

I guess my dreams of creating a thriving city on Minecraft will stay lost to the wind forever :'(

I used to be a fiend for Puzzle Pirates, had Ultimate in Foraging and was like Legendary Swordfighting/Carpentry with a double-reversed Saber for niche pimpin and to flex with it's drop style. Played for years but fell out of it.

Uo:

People obsessed with their lawns have dull, vanilla sex and run in terror from spices.

I despite residential lawns on sheer principle. Manhattan and Guttenburg, NJ already demonstrate that it's possible to stack 60,000 people/square mile and have an amazing quality of life*. And you want grass? My dude, they're the reason why Jersey rents are through the mesosphere and single income households = never being able to afford a home.

*alternatively Kowloon Walled City demonstrated that you can effectively shove the population of New York City into a two square mile area and that is also somewhat terrifying

*alternatively Kowloon Walled City demonstrated that you can effectively shove the population of New York City into a two square mile area and that is also somewhat terrifying

I love reading about Kowloon. Everything about it's history is batshit unexpected.

Back