Unpopular Opinions

MRW some people still haven't watched The Haunting on netflix
tumblr_php0aaF7eb1qh1qauo5_500.gif

WTF are you doing. Seriously, WTF are you doing? Nothing beats this show as far as Live Action TV, so far for me
I wanna read the book first

Says nitros about every adaptation.

That's fair enough, but the TV series covers it's own canon as well as an adaptation of the book. I don't think it's seen as a very good "faithful adaptation" or at least an accurate one of the book either because of all of it's own narrative stuff, but it's excellent in it's own right.

Haunting of Hill House is an adaptation only in a very loose sense. It's more like it's inspired by the book, but goes in its own direction adding a lot to the characters giving them meatier arcs and goes for a different ending. Fans of the book weren't too please. I thought the book was fine, but this was one of those times where I think the TV show surpassed it.

Then you could say you read the book before watching it like a hipster. Or that the book was better, like a hipster. Or form an even better, more informative comparing opinion about it's two different media forms and how they relate, making your insight both valuable and worth reading to those interested in the subject.

Or form an even better, more informative comparing opinion about it's two different media forms and how they relate, making your insight both valuable and worth reading to those interested in the subject.
Why bother when you can just say one sucks and be a hipster. People love hipsters, and insightful, thoughtful, genuine shortform essays comparing literary works and adaptations are generally frowned upon compared to calling something an "overrated travesty" or an "everyone should basically just watch donnie darko"

Why bother when you can just say one sucks and be a hipster. People love hipsters, and insightful, thoughtful, genuine shortform essays comparing literary works and adaptations are generally frowned upon compared to calling something an "overrated travesty" or an "everyone should basically just watch donnie darko"
16 year old nitro thought Donnie Darko sucked. I haven’t seen it since.

We could probably all stand to rewatch it. I thought it was brilliant the first time I saw it, but less so on rewatches. I still think it's pretty good, but it's pretty high on its own self importance and feels a tad smug. However, it's still a tightly wound thriller with some complex thoughts on mental illness, time travel and the butterfly effect. It's certainly a flawed film. Haven't watched it in a few years and I might feel differently about it now.

Speaking of Richard Kelly. I hated Southland Tales the first time I saw it because I was expecting something more along the lines of Donnie Darko, but I really enjoy the film now because of its pointed social, religious and political satire. The plot is a half nonsensical mess, but I'm able to get enough out of it for it to not feel like a waste of time. Plus, the film has a lot of actors playing against type. The Rock playing a coward is particularly amusing.

Oh god I hate this.

You hate everything about me man. It gets quite dull.

Besides 16 year old me was a dick.

Only your taste in media

Now that’s not 100% true is it?
Although saying that you still haven’t watched Russian Doll or Maniac on Netflix, so you must doubt me when I say I think you’ll like them *insert shocked face emoji*

Half true?

I'll watch them someday I'm sure...

I want a TV show about the two of you, I think it'd be amazing!

We could probably all stand to rewatch it. I thought it was brilliant the first time I saw it, but less so on rewatches. I still think it's pretty good, but it's pretty high on its own self importance and feels a tad smug. However, it's still a tightly wound thriller with some complex thoughts on mental illness, time travel and the butterfly effect. It's certainly a flawed film. Haven't watched it in a few years and I might feel differently about it now.

Speaking of Richard Kelly. I hated Southland Tales the first time I saw it because I was expecting something more along the lines of Donnie Darko, but I really enjoy the film now because of its pointed social, religious and political satire. The plot is a half nonsensical mess, but I'm able to get enough out of it for it to not feel like a waste of time. Plus, the film has a lot of actors playing against type. The Rock playing a coward is particularly amusing.
Wowie, glad I brought up Donnie Darko. I haven't seen it but I watched a nostalgia critic episode of it, which is how I know it's considered a hipster movie. At least there's one potentially interesting discussion to be had in this thread.

About the rock playing a coward, wasn't that played with in the Jumanji reboot?

Back