Unpopular Anime Opinions

Unpopular Opinion:

The Deen version of Fate/Stay Night is better than the Unlimited Budget Works ufotable reboot.

Sure the newer one had a few snazzy action sequences, but overall it had no soul. The whole thing was dead, empty, and boring.

Now the Deen version, had "magic". There was something about it that made it feel more real, like the characters actually mattered.

An interesting thing happened while UBW was airing... in one of the episodes they used a remix of the original Deen version's OP song. The crowd went wild with nostalgia. That doesn't happen when people hate something.

Bad adaptation? Boo hoo. I don't do VNs or read manga so I don't care. I judge the anime by the anime. The old version was better.

And people only hate Emiya because he is a man of wisdom since he knows that people die when they are killed.

On another note:
I rewatched Code Geass recently. It was still fun. (by recently, I mean the last decade... I'm old, all these years blur together now)
Reminds me of Umineko hate (Studio DEEN is surely hated rip). I liked the anime despite the infinite comments from the VN readers that its the garbage lol. VN readers should low down a bit in their criticism honetly.
Meh, I really disgree with the "fate/zero is the only fate worth watching" sentiment.
The rest of the franchise had a good start and went downhill. Only had good animation without a proper plot.

I don't watch anime because it's popular. Most of my life I've not been into what's popular. I like what I like. Been hearing about Code Geass and after 10 episodes in, I'm feeling somewhat bored and little investment reason to continue. I feel like most of the characters are uninteresting and don't have much depth. Lelouch seems to be the only character that is showing development, and somewhat with Kallen's character, but if most of the other characters are going to be like NPC's I don't see why I should try to invest my time?

I don't watch anime because it's popular. Most of my life I've not been into what's popular. I like what I like. Been hearing about Code Geass and after 10 episodes in, I'm feeling somewhat bored and little investment reason to continue. I feel like most of the characters are uninteresting and don't have much depth. Lelouch seems to be the only character that is showing development, and somewhat with Kallen's character, but if most of the other characters are going to be like NPC's I don't see why I should try to invest my time?
Code Geass is a product of its time. Not really all that great by today's standards, with too much fanservice and too much "cotton wool" (a Czech idiom for filler, you know, adding unnecessary things that have nothing to do with the actual plot, like basically anything that happens in the school with the school board and stuff ...). But it was a lot of people's first anime or one of their firsts, so they have a soft spot for it. I'd honestly still rather go for Death Note that came out at the same time. Super flawed, too, but I'd argue it aged considerably better, still.

Code Geass is a product of its time. Not really all that great by today's standards, with too much fanservice and too much "cotton wool" (a Czech idiom for filler, you know, adding unnecessary things that have nothing to do with the actual plot, like basically anything that happens in the school with the school board and stuff ...). But it was a lot of people's first anime or one of their firsts, so they have a soft spot for it. I'd honestly still rather go for Death Note that came out at the same time. Super flawed, too, but I'd argue it aged considerably better, still.

I binged Code Geass and STILL can't get through Death Note. But I'm trash for mecha, explosions and Clamp, so what can I say. I wouldn't say I loved the show- it has all the failings everyone's already said, and R2 was kind of a slog, but I did love Lelouch, so I was mostly watching for him. Also, Deen Stay Night is the only one for me. I love Kenji Kawaii's ost. I haven't been able to finish UBW or Zero, and not for lack of trying.

I think a big issue for me was that by the time I heard about Death Note, I knew it was super popular, and that made me less interested. For UBW and Zero, it was more that I'd already watched a version of the story, so it's been really hard to revisit it. I tend to have a negative bias against super popular shows, and it's only been in the last few years that I've become more willing to give shows a chance in spite of that. Hype just kills the excitement for me, because most shows aren't as good as they're hyped up to be so I'm always disappointed.

Last edited:
Of all the shows from that time period Death Note is the only one that holds up. Its flaws are obvious, but I can still look at it and see why it made me love the medium. Code Geass is just silly trash that held itself up with tired gimmicks and terribad writing.

Just watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes if you want an intelligent plot that doesn't live and die on plot convenience.

Of all the shows from that time period Death Note is the only one that holds up. Its flaws are obvious, but I can still look at it and see why it made me love the medium. Code Geass is just silly trash that held itself up with tired gimmicks and terribad writing.

Just watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes if you want an intelligent plot that doesn't live and die on plot convenience.

I do have to admit death note was very intriguing and exciting for me at the time because you’re following a straight up villain protagonist. Light is a just megalomaniac asshole, he doesn’t have a good bone in his body. Following the villain is more fun.

I think there was plenty good from that time period, I even see it as something of a golden age, and a lot of stuff that I do think "has not held up well" I realize is in large part just me getting older.

Code Geass was annoying with how it doubled down on fanservice in season 2, though.

And I wish Death Note did not alter the manga ending. I feel there's still people who completely missed the point of Light's character because of that.

I think there was plenty good from that time period, I even see it as something of a golden age, and a lot of stuff that I do think "has not held up well" I realize is in large part just me getting older.

Code Geass was annoying with how it doubled down on fanservice in season 2, though.

And I wish Death Note did not alter the manga ending. I feel there's still people who completely missed the point of Light's character because of that.

*Gives a long complex answer that involves a lot of other types of media, then realizes it isn't very appilcable to this thread.* Maybe I really am over anime.

Out of the mid-oughties anime, I think Fate/Stay Night aged the best, because it was already bad to begin with.

Though I suspect Haruhi aged the best, but it'll still have many cringe parts by today's standards.
Haruhi is weird in how it seemed to vitalize the very same genre it was poking fun at in the first place.
Kinda like how people seemed to entirely miss the point of NGE, especially the "waifu war" part of it. Instead NGE ended up creating modern waifu wars.

Welcome to the NHK was made in the mid 2000s and was the best anime of that time period to me.

I will fight you all over it.

-----
Speaking of trends, I just want more happy magical girl shows man. Madoka killed dark magical girls for me, with all the lack luster content that came after. The fact that a happy magical girl show these days is refreshingly different just feels weird.

Last edited:
Welcome to the NHK was made in the mid 2000s and was the best anime of that time period to me.

-----
Speaking of trends, I just want more happy magical girl shows man. Madoka killed dark magical girls for me, with all the lack luster content that came after. The fact that a happy magical girl show these days is refreshingly different just feels weird.
The one dark magical girl series that did a good job of making me happy was Princess Tutu. It was a different experience but I still enjoyed it nevertheless.

Last edited:
It's really good, but the way it apparently came to the conclusion that starvation is a hotfix to mental illness still wrinkles my nose pretty hard.

Pretty much. I'd just like to see more series in the genre that are serious without being grimdark or subversive for the sake of it.

You could just watch any of the Precure seasons. Their all pretty standalone and a new one starts at the beginning of every year.

Also, Symphogear.

Last edited:

Weeeeeell

There is a lot of competition through the whole decade though so it's hard to pick a best show.

It's really good, but the way it apparently came to the conclusion that starvation is a hotfix to mental illness still wrinkles my nose pretty hard.
I think the message the show was going for was family of shut-ins shouldn't be enabling self-destructive behaviour on the part of shut-ins but honestly, it's still kinda bad how they went about it. That finale nearly ruined the show for me.

Speaking of Haruhi, is it still unpopular to think Haruhi is trash or has the rest of the internet opened their eyes already?
The internet seems to have forgotten about Haruhi, largely, which is really strange considering how much it was hailed as an industry gamechanger.

That said, I watched it after the hullabaloo died down but I still enjoyed it. On paper I shouldn't have -- I don't really like the Japanese high school setting, I don't like annoying people who make those around them awkward, and I don't like the "Rei Ayanami clone" and "overly moë girl" archetypes in it. But somehow I ended up enjoying it, so that's probably a testament to how well it was done.

Haruhi is weird in how it seemed to vitalize the very same genre it was poking fun at in the first place.
Kinda like how people seemed to entirely miss the point of NGE, especially the "waifu war" part of it. Instead NGE ended up creating modern waifu wars.
Meanwhile, some people still think that "being ironic" doesn't mean perpetuating a trope/idea.

@g3data mentioned Precure and Symphogear, but there's also Vividred Operation. There's some odd fanservice in there, but if you can look past that there's a surprisingly wholesome story behind it. In a way I kinda feel one could interpret it as an answer to Madoka Magica.

Back